Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
September 2017 Observation & Discussion Thread

dmillz25

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't run a sprinkler in 20 years. I don't actually believe that a lawn deserves to exist if it needs to be maintained artificially. Heck, all of this landscaping to make your property look like am arboretum drives me nuts. Take that same time and money and use it for toys, things to go play with and get some exercise. Your personal physical and mental health is far more important than some pretty bushes ;) 

18 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

I haven't run a sprinkler in 20 years. I don't actually believe that a lawn deserves to exist if it needs to be maintained artificially. Heck, all of this landscaping to make your property look like am arboretum drives me nuts. Take that same time and money and use it for toys, things to go play with and get some exercise. Your personal physical and mental health is far more important than some pretty bushes ;) 

My lawn has had zero maintenance sans mowing for at least 30 years, and it's hard to imagine anybody before that going to the trouble of overseeding, fertilizing, or even watering multiple sloped acres with tons of trees. Aerial imagery of my yard from 1936 shows that the major features of the landscape have remained mostly unchanged since then, so it's possible nobody's done any major work on the lawn for quite some time.

I’m in the middle of the two extremes, I typically do fertilize once a year but I use less than what is recommended on the bag. I will seed any bare spots that may develop and I’ll over seed every couple years if I think it’s even needed. I don’t water the lawn anymore though, it’s just a waste. 

4 hours ago, doncat said:

Just 0.20" rain past 23 days and nothing really on the horizon...gonna be one of the driest 30 day periods we've seen around here.

Warmest second half of September by a wide margin at Newark and 3rd driest. That record breaking summer ridge that set all the records for heat and drought in the PAC NW finally came east during the second half of September.

59cf92f5ad9b2_Screenshot2017-09-30at8_45_07AM.png.b124f36e1d36281d67df2cf22fbc64a5.png

59cf92fe05094_Screenshot2017-09-30at8_45_44AM.png.6df231286226e16756c58c9307b536be.png

13 minutes ago, Rjay said:

The training going on over the Hamptons is pretty cool. 

Nice 63 DBZ hail core just west of Mastic Beach. Funny how we recently get these steep lapse rate days before and after the summer but not during. Almost like the recent summers have been to warm at the midlevels to produce.

WUNIDS_map.gif.bae016658ef52527e14a6f59b5bc97bb.gif

9 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Nice 63 DBZ hail core just west of Mastic Beach. Funny how we recently get these steep lapse rate days before and after the summer but not during. Almost like the recent summers have been to warm at the midlevels to produce.

WUNIDS_map.gif.bae016658ef52527e14a6f59b5bc97bb.gif

Immediate south shore of Suffolk getting crushed 

Screenshot_20170930-115032.png

Archived