Newest Member
    SnowHabit
September 2017 Observation & Discussion Thread

dmillz25

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, psv88 said:

90/70 in Burlington, Vermont right now, capping off a 3 day heat wave of 90+. That is some epic and historic heat. 

A full 10 days later than the previous latest 90 on record there before this historic late season heat wave.

THIS IS THE LATEST OCCURRENCE OF 90
DEGREES OR WARMER. THE PREVIOUS LATEST OCCURRENCE WAS SEPTEMBER
16, 1939.

Anyone looking at Saturday's weather?  Find it very odd that most of the models, except the Euro, show the cold frontal passage on Saturday to be dry, wheras the Euro has 1/2" of rain over much of the Philly-NYC corridor during the day.  NWS in Philly and NYC appear to not be buying the Euro, as their official forecasts are dry, although the AFDs acknowledge some risk of a few showers.  Not sure if this goes in banter or not, but thought I'd ask here first.  

this pattern is reminding me a little of sept/oct 2007. I remember it being quite warm at the end of september that year, cooled off a little october 1-2 before going again towards record territory by around the 7th - and then pretty mild for the rest of that month

OT - where can I find historical daily 500mb Maps ? I'm interested to check out the 500mb pattern that month

3 hours ago, RU848789 said:

Anyone looking at Saturday's weather?  Find it very odd that most of the models, except the Euro, show the cold frontal passage on Saturday to be dry, wheras the Euro has 1/2" of rain over much of the Philly-NYC corridor during the day.  NWS in Philly and NYC appear to not be buying the Euro, as their official forecasts are dry, although the AFDs acknowledge some risk of a few showers.  Not sure if this goes in banter or not, but thought I'd ask here first.  

The Euro has had several phantom rain events the past couple or so weeks...remember it had Jose backing in from the east to soak us.

1 hour ago, Fantom X said:

this pattern is reminding me a little of sept/oct 2007. I remember it being quite warm at the end of september that year, cooled off a little october 1-2 before going again towards record territory by around the 7th - and then pretty mild for the rest of that month

OT - where can I find historical daily 500mb Maps ? I'm interested to check out the 500mb pattern that month

Caused a 3 week delay for fall foliage. Didnt peak until mid November

30 minutes ago, Fantom X said:

My PWS is reporting a dew point of 76 and Shirley Airport is reporting a dewpoint of 75. Don't remember if I ever saw it that high this late in the season 

It's incredibly muggy here in NYC. Today may be the most uncomfortable day despite the temperature being about 5F lower than Sunday.

9 minutes ago, bluewave said:

You know there is an historic heat pattern in place when ISP ties the record high on an E to NE flow in late September.

A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 86 DEGREES WAS SET AT ISLIP NY TODAY. THIS TIES THE OLD RECORD OF 86 SET IN 1998.

with dewpoints in the 70's

Archived