• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
September 2017 Observation & Discussion Thread

dmillz25

Next 8 days still up at +7degs or 71degs.---now with 4 near normal days included.

Noticed that 92 at JFK,  a good  surrogate for the beach area here in CI where I was.   When slight sea breeze quit for a while, it felt 90ish.   Good thing sun does not even reach an elevation of 50 degrees anymore---down from 73 degrees on June 22.9 is

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, CIK62 said:

Next 8 days still up at +7degs or 71degs.---now with 4 near normal days included.

Noticed that 92 at JFK,  a good  surrogate for the beach area here in CI where I was.   When slight sea breeze quit for a while, it felt 90ish.   Good thing sun does not even reach an elevation of 50 degrees anymore---down from 73 degrees on June 22.

3 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

With these incredible late season warm periods, it does make you wonder how hot things could get if this type of heat was maximized in mid-late July.

It's going to happen in the next few years and we could be talking widespread 105-110 temps. 

happened in 2011, 2013

This weather is incredibly boring. Good thing the ocean had been the exact opposite. I witnessed a pod of dolphins surfing while life guarding at Robert Moses beach yesterday. One of the most incredible things I have ever seen in nature. These guys were huge and literally airborne in the big Maria surf. I always say it, if you have the time this week head down to the beach for a high tide. There is nothing like watching the pure power of a long period hurricane swell. There will be overwashes again tomorrow and especially Wednesday. 

32 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

This weather is incredibly boring. Good thing the ocean had been the exact opposite. I witnessed a pod of dolphins surfing while life guarding at Robert Moses beach yesterday. One of the most incredible things I have ever seen in nature. These guys were huge and literally airborne in the big Maria surf. I always say it, if you have the time this week head down to the beach for a high tide. There is nothing like watching the pure power of a long period hurricane swell. There will be overwashes again tomorrow and especially Wednesday. 

Yesterday was one of the most beautiful days of the 'summer' with the combo of the temperatures, light wind and the spectacle that is hurricane surf.  I was at Tobay.  I've seen tons of dolphin this year too, but none surfing- that is awesome.  We were swimming about 30-40 yards away from a big pod in Long Beach a couple weeks ago. If you were on a surfboard out in the break, you would have been right next to them.

48 minutes ago, tdp146 said:

Yesterday was one of the most beautiful days of the 'summer' with the combo of the temperatures, light wind and the spectacle that is hurricane surf.  I was at Tobay.  I've seen tons of dolphin this year too, but none surfing- that is awesome.  We were swimming about 30-40 yards away from a big pod in Long Beach a couple weeks ago. If you were on a surfboard out in the break, you would have been right next to them.

It definitly has to do with the cleaner waters in our area. Just a dolphin spotting was a very very big deal 15 years ago. Now they are everywhere. I did have a pod go right past me while i was surfing National blvd last week. I'm talking 10 yards past the break an extremely close encounter. You could hear them breath!!!

My personal theory as to why we are seeing so much cetacean life has to do with lack of sludge dumping. Back in the 90s they stopped dumping the solid sewage byproduct off the coast. Prior to that the water at Jones Beach was always brown. It was nicknamed Jones Beach brown. That water supported little other then horrible swarms of jelly fish. Since the water cleanup we have had incredible schools of Bunker. These schools get more incredible every year. The whole ocean seems to be filled with them. And thus plenty of food for dolphins and whales. 

13 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

It definitly has to do with the cleaner waters in our area. Just a dolphin spotting was a very very big deal 15 years ago. Now they are everywhere. I did have a pod go right past me while i was surfing National blvd last week. I'm talking 10 yards past the break an extremely close encounter. You could hear them breath!!!

My personal theory as to why we are seeing so much cetacean life has to do with lack of sludge dumping. Back in the 90s they stopped dumping the solid sewage byproduct off the coast. Prior to that the water at Jones Beach was always brown. It was nicknamed Jones Beach brown. That water supported little other then horrible swarms of jelly fish. Since the water cleanup we have had incredible schools of Bunker. These schools get more incredible every year. The whole ocean seems to be filled with them. And thus plenty of food for dolphins and whales. 

So many bunker up on the north shore as well. Millions, its just absurd. 

At 1:57 pm, the temperature reached 90° at Newark. This makes the current heat wave only Newark's second on record after September 15. The last such heat wave occurred during September 22-24, 1959 when the temperature reached 90°, 93°, and 92° respectively. During the September 23-25, 2017 period, Newark has had high temperatures of 90°, 92°, and 90°.

8 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

At 1:57 pm, the temperature reached 90° at Newark. This makes the current heat wave only Newark's second on record after September 15. The last such heat wave occurred during September 22-24, 1959 when the temperature reached 90°, 93°, and 92° respectively. During the September 23-25, 2017 period, Newark has had high temperatures of 90°, 92°, and 90°.

which makes this one the latest on record

11 minutes ago, TriPol said:

Are there any connections between warm Septembers and snowy, cold winters?

The results are mixed. For NYC, at least using the 10 warmest months of September (15 months due to ties), the breakdown was:

<10": 1 (Least: 1931-32: 5.3")

<20": 3

20" or more: 12

30" or more:" 7

40" or more: 2 (Most: 1895-96: 46.3")

20 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Similar position of the ridges and troughs with much stronger amplitude over the Northeast.That record KB block building back across the pole around New Year's saved the winter.

500.png.fa4297796a120abf15249437b1ae707c.png

Thanks.  Curious to see how this Fall will compare to the last couple.

Archived