Newest Member
    SnowHabit
September 2017 Observation & Discussion Thread

dmillz25

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

This warmth is the real deal.  There were mid 90s all the way into central Michigan on Thursday.  

some awesome late season warmth :) how many consecutive days in the 90s are you guys expecting?

Any good late season analogs to this?  1983 comes to mind with late season warmth! (That was also heading into a la nina pattern.)

1983 was hot through summer right into early fall

2 minutes ago, Paragon said:

some awesome late season warmth :) how many consecutive days in the 90s are you guys expecting?

Any good late season analogs to this?  1983 comes to mind with late season warmth! (That was also heading into a la nina pattern.)

1983 was hot through summer right into early fall

Where I am, likely at least 5 days of 90s. Maybe 6.  Drying ground as of late is probably helping to maximize the warming potential. But still, days and days of 850's in the upper teens to lower 20C range.

I'm not sure about analogs, and what may be analogous in the Midwest might not be around there.

7 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Where I am, likely at least 5 days of 90s. Maybe 6.  Drying ground as of late is probably helping to maximize the warming potential. But still, days and days of 850's in the upper teens to lower 20C range.

I'm not sure about analogs, and what may be analogous in the Midwest might not be around there.

Wow, I know it's been hot in Chicago the last couple of days, but didn't know it'd last that long.  I know a cold front is supposed to cut through the Rockies on its way east; it's been snowing out there, but won't get here until the end of next week to bring more Autumnal weather.

I wonder if any triple digit readings will crop up somewhere?

3 hours ago, SnoSki14 said:

Hot weather this late just sucks, can't even open the windows at night in this crap. I don't need July in late September. Where was this first half of the month when summer was still a thing. 

I'm loving this warm stretch.  We had a terrible Spring with so many rainy and cold days, and Summer barely had any real heat.  I hope we stay AN through December, then it can snow if it wants.

5 hours ago, Hoosier said:

This warmth is the real deal.  There were mid 90s all the way into central Michigan on Thursday.  

I believe the record high of 95 at Grand Rapids was the latest occurrence of a 95 degree reading there.

RECORD EVENT REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GRAND RAPIDS, MI
135 AM EDT FRI SEP 22 2017

...RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE SET AT GRAND RAPIDS MI...

A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 95 DEGREES WAS SET AT GRAND RAPIDS MI
ON THURSDAY. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 92 SET IN 1908.

8 hours ago, SnoSki14 said:

Hot weather this late just sucks, can't even open the windows at night in this crap. I don't need July in late September. Where was this first half of the month when summer was still a thing. 

I agree. I am ready for fall and nice temps now. AccuWeather had a possible heat wave for Philly, though sometimes their temps can be a little on the high side.

5 hours ago, bluewave said:

I believe the record high of 95 at Grand Rapids was the latest occurrence of a 95 degree reading there.

RECORD EVENT REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GRAND RAPIDS, MI
135 AM EDT FRI SEP 22 2017

...RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE SET AT GRAND RAPIDS MI...

A RECORD HIGH TEMPERATURE OF 95 DEGREES WAS SET AT GRAND RAPIDS MI
ON THURSDAY. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF 92 SET IN 1908.

It was.  They may hit 95 again today (already 92).

14 minutes ago, bluewave said:

This gives new meaning to a back-loaded summer in Grand Rapids. It only reached 93 in June, 90 in July, and 88 in August.

We all suspected it would get hot in September after the cool summer and with a strengthening La Nina. It wasn't a surprise to see a -PNA pattern this September.

I expect a large scale pattern change starting 9/30 as the Kara Sea ridge leads to a -NAO. At the same time, ridging should build into the Aleutians and extend poleward, allowing cold air to fill Canada.

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

Continued extreme behavior of these 500 mb patterns. Probably the warmest for late September following a -4 to -5 first 10 days of the month.

Chris, looks like JFK has the highest temps (outside of EWR)  Why are the local TV stations saying temps will drop from Tuesday on?

Chris is 1983 our latest 100 degree and 95 degree readings? I believe it hit 100 or came close on 9/11/83 and hit 95 on 9/24/83.

Why are the highest deviations going north of our region?  There won't be a sea breeze.

Archived