Newest Member
    SnowHabit
September 2017 Observation & Discussion Thread

dmillz25

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Beautiful sunny day on the South Shore. The seabreeze front is stuck over your area.

nrnmidat_02_20170916185219.thumb.jpg.f2c4f61bafcd0a05fe37d181dc87f155.jpg

...ocean beaches stuck in low clouds while i was there..ocean was plenty rough and very warm..got home to bright

blue skies..

17 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

Bright sunshine, a light sea breeze, and 82° this afternoon in Larchmont on the Long Island Sound. However, local beaches are closed (prematurely, it seems).

Larchmont09162017-3b.jpg

Larchmont09162017-5b.jpg

NYC beaches extended the season again this year to Sept 10, but Sept started chilly so it wasnt so appealing. Now the sun and warmth is here. 

I think some NYS beaches do the same too. 

2 hours ago, dWave said:

NYC beaches extended the season again this year to Sept 10, but Sept started chilly so it wasnt so appealing. Now the sun and warmth is here. 

I think some NYS beaches do the same too. 

We are still open (life guards) at jones beach tomorrow. Last day.

it was a gorgous beach day, after a cloudy start. 

Next 8 days average, down a little to 74degs., or +7degs.

Rest of month looks to be near 80 for highs and no precipitation.  Must be a mistake.

Crazy thing is---hottest day (so far) [85 on 9/5] was in the midst of the 12 day cold start to September.

The next 5 day period that is predicted to average BN, is centered on Oct. 17!

On 9/16/2017 at 7:24 PM, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

We are still open (life guards) at jones beach tomorrow. Last day.

it was a gorgous beach day, after a cloudy start. 

I went to Long Beach. I figured why go out to Jones or Robert Moses with lifeguards if the surf will be too rough to really swim, plus the surfing tournament was at LB. The waves were really big, it came to the point where if your on the sand you will likely get splashed, water was advancing pretty far onto the beach. I wanna see what it'll look like when Jose makes its closest pass.

23 minutes ago, dWave said:

I went to Long Beach. I figured why go out to Jones or Robert Moses with lifeguards if the surf will be too rough to really swim, plus the surfing tournament was at LB. The waves were really big, it came to the point where if your on the sand you will likely get splashed, water was advancing pretty far onto the beach. I wanna see what it'll look like when Jose makes its closest pass.

IMG_0166.JPGHere is a pic from jones today. The water should go under the board walk starting with tomorrow evenings high tide. This is why I think there will be major beach erosion. We have seen this in the past with storms that were much further offshore. Most notably with Bill in 09 and Earl in 10

The transistion to normal temps. or less, comes as Maria goes by on the 28th.  If it goes to 50/50 a more meaningful BN period might be iniciated.

Only -1.5x18 = -27 negative degs. left now for the month and they should be wiped out before the weekend.  We could end month @+1.5 to +2.0.

3 hours ago, doncat said:

Yeah last several days here with upper 60's lows...big difference from earlier in the month with the cool dry mornings.

Yeah, the air has been muggy for awhile now, and I think that's contributing to the summer feel.  This second half of September is bringing back memories of 2015.  

The weekend looks beautiful here, with forecast highs of 80/85 for Saturday and Sunday respectively.

2 hours ago, SnoSki14 said:

That's a pretty insane PNA shift that I haven't seen before, it tanks to -4 before shooting up again by early October. 

The pattern looks to change significantly after 9/30...A strong low pressure system tracks across Canada at the same time an Aleutian ridge starts to develop...these two factors remove a lot of the mild Pacific air from Canada and allow colder continental air to filter down from the North Pole and especially the Beaufort Sea/N AK region. Combined with declining sun angle, Canada fills with below freezing 850mb temperatures. Simultaneously, there is a spike in the PNA around 9/28, followed by a brief dip, and then a return to more sustained western ridging/+PNA by October 4th. 

Wouldn't be surprised if the northwest suburbs saw their first round of 30s along with some frost threats in that first week of October if modeling holds. It looks like that will be the time to remove air conditioning units and ready heating systems for the coming winter. Will feel especially chilly after the mild middle of September.

Archived