Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
AC: When do you Uninstall?

Cold Miser

AC: When do you Uninstall?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. When did you un-install air conditioning or are planning to?

• August
    • September - 1st half
    • September - 2nd half
    • October - 1st half
    • October - 2nd half
    • November
    • Never because I don't use a.c.
    • Never because I have central a.c.
    • Other (describe in comments)

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even down here in NYC, I'm getting pretty close. It's just preventing ventilation at this point as it uses up the one window. With nights dipping into the 50s/low 60s in the Bronx and days only in the mid 70s, it's become sort of unnecessary. I'm just worried about the 1-3 inevitably scorching hot days when school begins in September. 

45 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

That's pretty late for CT.
You're not using it up to that point are you?

Usually not but our upstairs warms quickly even when the temp isn't that bad....I mean in early Nov you can get 75 maybe 80....one Halloween we trick or treated at 7pm it was 70.....so I leave them in late to just be 100% sure the warm stuff is gone.....I install them in late March lol

Might uninstall this weekend with the stretch of cool to mild weather in the long range forecast.  We usually don't need AC by mid September even if it's hot outside during the day, since it cools off nicely in the evening an a couple of window fans are more than enough as long as the DP isn't 70+.

Uninstalled Sunday. 

Didn't use them as much as last year.  Average power consumption for the 60 days between mid June through mid August was 25% lower in 2017 than in 2016.  Also, this summer had the lowest power consumption during that time frame than any summer in the last 10 years we've been living in this house.  (although in the interest of full disclosure, we switched from central air (last run in 2015) to 2 window units in 2016.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Next week....once Maria passes, fall begins.

I never trust September enough to uninstall the AC....its every bit as folly as storing away the snow shovels in March.

Yep. I usually wait until October. I think some consider it some sort of weenie measuring stick to not have A/C or uninstall after July 4th..but I don't care if I lived at 60N. Whatever it takes to be comfortable.

9 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Yep. I usually wait until October. I think some consider it some sort of weenie measuring stick to not have A/C or uninstall after July 4th..but I don't care if I lived at 60N. Whatever it takes to be comfortable.

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

The uninstalled's are an odd bunch for sure

I have never had to use my ac past mid-September. NEVER.  

...And I have the most poorly insulated house on the planet (this is a scientific fact), with southern and western sun beating on it all day long.

Archived