• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Harvey OBS, Local NWS Statements, News Affiliate alerts, etc.

Windspeed

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

Evacuation can lead to you losing your personal property and it can have nothing to do with the state. Looting during natural disasters is very real. And many people feel they need to be there to protect their property. I dont necessarily agree with those people. But their reason for staying isnt stupid either.

:Looting occurs only in extreme circumstances (Katrina) and it is nowhere near as prolific as portrayed in the media.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, cheese007 said:

Oh yeah I agree 100%. It's just that I'm in my mid 20s and barely know this person and she's lived there pretty much her whole life (she's in her 60s). If the news media isn't dedicating 100% of their time to this storm + mandatory evacs are not being ordered she's one of those people who aren't gonna budge. Especially since there's a fairly common view that weather peeps don't have a clue since Ike wasn't as bad as predicted 

That part is pretty accurate.  We often don't.  But there are two sides to that. It's just as likely that the clueless "weather people" will miss on the low side.

TORNADO WATCH OUTLINE UPDATE FOR WT 465 NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK 200 PM CDT FRI AUG 25 2017

TORNADO WATCH 465 IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 200 AM CDT FOR THE FOLLOWING LOCATIONS
TXC007-039-057-071-157-167-175-201-239-245-321-391-469-481- 260700- /O.NEW.KWNS.TO.A.0465.170825T1900Z-170826T0700Z/ TX .

TEXAS COUNTIES INCLUDED ARE ARANSAS BRAZORIA CALHOUN CHAMBERS FORT BEND GALVESTON GOLIAD HARRIS JACKSON JEFFERSON MATAGORDA REFUGIO VICTORIA WHARTON $$

Oh, the interesting stuff has already started.  The "tropical tornadoes" as called by Erika Navarro on TWC.  I'm going to be the one whom will just post to watch the tornado threat as it usually is associated with land-falling tropical cyclones.

One thing that does bother me is how the Houston local TV stations with news operations like ABC 13, KPRC, KHOU, and FOX 26 are all airing only 30 minute break-ins to local programming versus coverage of the actual tornado threats in the Houston-Galveston metro area...

Tornado Warning TXC167-252115- /O.NEW.KHGX.TO.W.0059.170825T2042Z-170825T2115Z/ BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED Tornado Warning National Weather Service Houston/Galveston TX 342 PM CDT FRI AUG 25 2017 The National Weather Service in League City has issued a * Tornado Warning for... Central Galveston County in southeastern Texas... * Until 415 PM CDT. * At 341 PM CDT, a severe thunderstorm capable of producing a tornado was located over Galveston Pleasure Pier moving northwest at 35 mph. HAZARD...Tornado. SOURCE...Radar indicated rotation. IMPACT...Flying debris will be dangerous to those caught without shelter. Mobile homes will be damaged or destroyed. Damage to roofs, windows, and vehicles will occur. Tree damage is likely. * Locations impacted include... Galveston Island West End, Galveston Causeway, Texas City, La Marque, Hitchcock, Galveston Pier 21, Bayou Vista, Tiki Island, Pelican Island, Schlitterbahn, Scholes Field, The Strand, Offatts Bayou, Galveston Pleasure Pier, Moody Gardens and San Leon. PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS... TAKE COVER NOW! Move to a basement or an interior room on the lowest floor of a sturdy building. Avoid windows. If you are outdoors, in a mobile home, or in a vehicle, move to the closest substantial shelter and protect yourself from flying debris. && LAT...LON 2923 9475 2922 9477 2930 9507 2949 9495 2928 9472 TIME...MOT...LOC 2041Z 117DEG 29KT 2927 9478 TORNADO...RADAR INDICATED HAIL...0.00IN $$ Huffman

Severe Weather Statement
National Weather Service Houston/Galveston TX
338 PM CDT FRI AUG 25 2017

TXC321-252100-
/O.CON.KHGX.TO.W.0058.000000T0000Z-170825T2100Z/
Matagorda TX-
338 PM CDT FRI AUG 25 2017

...A TORNADO WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 400 PM CDT FOR CENTRAL
MATAGORDA COUNTY...

At 338 PM CDT, a severe thunderstorm capable of producing a tornado
was located over South Texas Nuclear Plant, moving northwest at 45
mph.

HAZARD...Tornado.

SOURCE...Radar indicated rotation.

IMPACT...Flying debris will be dangerous to those caught without
         shelter. Mobile homes will be damaged or destroyed. Damage
         to roofs, windows, and vehicles will occur.  Tree damage is
         likely.

Locations impacted include...
Matagorda, southwestern Bay City, South Texas Nuclear Plant and
Wadsworth.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

TAKE COVER NOW! Move to a basement or an interior room on the lowest
floor of a sturdy building. Avoid windows. If you are outdoors, in a
mobile home, or in a vehicle, move to the closest substantial shelter
and protect yourself from flying debris.

&&

LAT...LON 2878 9579 2867 9591 2874 9618 2900 9598
TIME...MOT...LOC 2038Z 117DEG 41KT 2879 9600

TORNADO...RADAR INDICATED
HAIL...0.00IN

$$

Huffman

I don't know where to put this but I will put it here so as to not interfere with the main thread.  In case anyone was wondering, this won't be the first time that a hurricane makes landfall in the US less than a week before/after a US total solar eclipse. The last time it happened was 1959.  Pretty difficult to get the timing to work out for obvious reasons. 

So I have always wondered this, and I hope someone can explain this to me, but why is it that other than Corpus Christi once you get southwest of Houston the gulf coast is extremely undeveloped? 

Are all the barrier islands federally protected land? I would think that area could be a tourism Mecca?

6 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

So I have always wondered this, and I hope someone can explain this to me, but why is it that other than Corpus Christi once you get southwest of Houston the gulf coast is extremely undeveloped? 

Are all the barrier islands federally protected land? I would think that area could be a tourism Mecca?

There are a ton federally protected areas. National seashores and wildlife protection areas.

Lots of people do go on vacation in Port Aransas and further south, South Padre Island.

Generally speaking, the coastline isn't super pretty. The beaches aren't beautiful and the water color isn't great. It gets better the further west you go, however. 

Most of Houston upper crust though does not vacation on the Texas Gulf Coast. Some might have a boat and house but won't go spend weeks there. 

17 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

brown water, lots of seaweed, meh sand, no significant surf... plus the reasons said above.

CC down to SPI though can be pretty nice.

so far here the bayou has only risen 3ft or so so far. most totals around here of 0.5"-0.7" so far. gusty only during squalls.  some totals 1"-2" in southeast harris county though

If there's one silver lining thus far, inside the loop Houston has been spared from the worst storms thus far. Most totals are .50-.75 compared to SE Harris County and Galveston County. 

Huge difference between 10-15" of rain and 25-30" of rain so hopefully we can keep chalking up the little "wins."

"It's a rain event. no reason to evacuate the greater Houston area. It is no different to the memorial day or tax day floods"

A senior Harris County (Great Houston area) official just said those words, among others, in a press conference at 4pm Central.

Does this seem reasonable and accurate?

Thank you lads,

James

1 hour ago, jamesbond said:

Morning

Are we expecting any more rain in the NW Houston area or has the storm pretty missed this area?

I heard that it is moving NW, does that indicate even less chances of rain out here?

Really disappointed not to have got in on the action

James

The event is still evolving. You will remain under threat for severe flooding for three-to-five days depending on how long it takes the low pressure associated with Harvey to move out of the Texas coastal region.harveyrain.thumb.png.76e1cc7b878a393ff3a4d2dbd803d5e7.png

At the time of me editing this post, there is a dryslot between Harvey's core and the persistent intense rainband training off the gulf. The training storms imbedded with that strong onshore flow will deviate and shift back and forth as Harvey drifts and meanders over time. Also, as Harvey takes on more frontal characteristics in the coming days on the eastern side of the low, the onshore flow may fill out off the gulf and expand in heavy precipitation coverage. This may include areas currently in the dryslot. Be thankful you're not getting blasted with 2-3in/hr rain rates right now. That could mean less overall totals for your location measured over the entirety of the event. Less now could be the difference between your block of streets being impassable for days, much worse your residence being flooded. If you have ever been stuck in an area with several feet or more of slowly receding flood waters, without power and the ability to commute for a week or more, I doubt you would be feeling disappointed in thinking you missed out on all the action.

12 hours ago, cheese007 said:

You think that was bad? here was the FOX front page earlier today:

FireShot Screen Capture #027 - 'Fox News - Breaking News Updates I Latest News Headlines I Photos & News Videos' - www_foxnews_com.png

I have looked at their page a lot and CNN as well. I did not see this, and currently it is Harvey. Yesterday, CNN pushed politics instead of Harvey as well on their page. Fox previously barely even reported it the day prior, so both had issues.

3.4" so far here. in between feeder bands now. bayou nearby jumped up this morning but never neared overtopping its banks. now receding as we haven't had any heavy rain in several hours.

a couple bayous in northeast houston are overtopping as we speak

Mesoscale Discussion 157
NWS Storm Prediction Center Norman OK 0600 PM CDT Sat Aug 26 2017

Areas affected...Upper TX Coast...Far Southwest LA

Concerning...Tornado Watch 468...

Valid 262300Z - 270100Z

The severe weather threat for Tornado Watch 468 continues.

SUMMARY...The threat for tornadoes continues across all of WW 468. A locally enhanced area of tornado potential exists from League City northwest to Brenham.

DISCUSSION...Recent radar imagery shows a feeder band arcing from the Fayette/Washington county border through western Fort Bend and Brazoria county, moving gradually eastward at about 15-20 kt. Cells within this band are moving north-northeastward at around 30 kt. Lightning has been observed in the cells in Fort Bend and Brazoria counties.

Modest diurnal heating was realized just downstream of the line with LVJ and HOU reporting temperatures of 87 and 86 deg F, respectively, at 22Z. Resultant steepening of the low-level lapse rates could contribute to better low-level stretching and a locally enhanced tornado potential. Additionally, surface streamline analysis shows an area of convergence roughly oriented from HOU northwestward to just south of 11R. This convergence zone could also contribute to locally enhanced tornado potential.

..Mosier.. 08/26/2017

...Please see www.spc.noaa.gov for graphic product...
ATTN...WFO...LCH...SHV...HGX...CRP...EWX...

LAT...LON 30019679 30729582 31059452 30759350 29859289 29549336 28429635 30019679bb5deab6a2c734210c96f581a4ab7bcc.gif

Archived