Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
the last total solar eclipse in NYC

Paragon

2 minutes ago, bluewave said:

It was a few minutes before. The dim light outside reminded me of looking out of a car with dark tinted windows.

I see articles already on the net talking about how solar eclipses light dimming are a big drawback to solar panels. Ugh.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Cfa said:

I noticed that, I wonder what the cause of that is. It felt nice.

temperature changes cause an increase in wind as the atmosphere is trying to mix the changes out (because different areas get different rates in temp change as the eclipse moves northwest to southeast.)

3 minutes ago, bluewave said:

About a 4 degree drop here. Charleston, SC in the path of totality is the big temp drop winner.

go_cgi.gif.8deb0772a09543dc41723ce69b3b6e04.gif

I noticed the temp fell there but the dew point didn't ;-)  A location further west could have experienced a steeper temp drop if their dew point was lower, it looks like the high dew point capped how low the temp could get in Charleston.

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

It was a few minutes before. The dim light outside reminded me of looking out of a car with dark tinted windows.

I was struggling to describe it, thats actually a perfect description. The shadows looked different too. 

1 hour ago, dmillz25 said:

So Buffalo, Cleveland or Austin,TX for the 2024 one? 

Going to Burlington or Montreal.   

50 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Such a bad time of year. Good chance of clouds across the entire path. 

I'll make a plan B.  

3 hours ago, Rjay said:

Going to Burlington or Montreal.   

I'll make a plan B.  

Ugh I hope there aren't clouds on that day.  No use worrying about it right now though- it's 7 years away lol.  April 8th, 2024.  One good thing, as long as there is some place between Buffalo and Watertown that has some clear skies, we should be okay.  Last minute adjustment would be to go west towards Buffalo or Rochester if Watertown is cloudy.  One of those cities is bound to have some clear skies!  I also like that it's later in the day, usually clouds are more prevalent in the morning.

This had to be the most awesome experience I have ever witnessed! I was just north of Nashville TN near the center line. Stars and planets came out, Corona in all it's beauty and the diamond ring effect. The last bit of the sun looked like a bright white led is the best way I can describe it. Best pictures I have right now. I highly urge anybody to go see a total eclipse if you can.  

20170821_133434.jpg

20170821_132402.jpg

FB_IMG_1503364110795.jpg

Archived