Newest Member
    SnowHabit
the last total solar eclipse in NYC

Paragon

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, etudiant said:

Think in the eclipse it does not really get noticeably dark until the sun is about 95% covered.

As we only get about 70% coverage here in NYC, I'd guess we would not notice it unless we were looking for it.

The coolest thing you will probably see with a partial solar eclipse is the pinhole effect with crescent shaped leaf shadows under trees.

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Nave-html/y84/Eclipse.html

28 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

I guess I just don't find it interesting. The next one is going to occur in 2024. It's not like this is a once in a lifetime event.

I find the eclipse interesting, but most people will forget about it by tomorrow lol, especially when you consider that it's not going to get as dark as they expect.

Just now, JerseyWx said:

I find the eclipse interesting, but most people will forget about it by tomorrow lol, especially when you consider that it's not going to get as dark as they expect.

I might be more interested if we were in line for the total eclipse. We're only going to see about 70% coverage at the peak. You really need to be down in the Nashville area today to have the best views.

2 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

I might be more interested if we were in line for the total eclipse. We're only going to see about 70% coverage at the peak. You really need to be down in the Nashville area today to have the best views.

Yeah, I'd be really excited if we were in the path for a total eclipse.

1 hour ago, NJwx85 said:

I guess I just don't find it interesting. The next one is going to occur in 2024. It's not like this is a once in a lifetime event.

It'll be interesting to see how many people these vendors have hoodwinked into going blind. Darwinism at its finest. 

1 hour ago, Isotherm said:

It'll be interesting to see how many people these vendors have hoodwinked into going blind. Darwinism at its finest. 

It's actually not as dire as they say.  I looked through the 90% eclipse in 1994 through binoculars.  A few seconds of looking at the sun doesn't make you go blind.

1 minute ago, NJwx85 said:

Fairly dense cirrus deck in place here.

Not here, there were clouds earlier but they left.

One of the reasons I used binoculars for the 5/10/94 eclipse was because there was a high overcast that day, using binoculars helped me to see the sun through the high clouds.

On 8/20/2017 at 9:29 AM, SnowGoose69 said:

Not very.  Didn't we have one here in the summer of 93 or 94?  I think it was only about 30-40% but it wasn't really noticeable at all 

5/10/94 90% coverage here and that was the only solar eclipse I ever saw.

10 minutes ago, Paragon said:

Not here, there were clouds earlier but they left.

One of the reasons I used binoculars for the 5/10/94 eclipse was because there was a high overcast that day, using binoculars helped me to see the sun through the high clouds.

I was hoping for pouring rain today.

Just now, Paragon said:

But that's you every day :P

I'm feeling especially cynical today because I'm tired of everyone talking about it. The most interesting thing that could happen today is if the sun somehow got stuck behind the moon and we entered a nuclear Winter.

Just now, NJwx85 said:

I'm feeling especially cynical today because I'm tired of everyone talking about it. The most interesting thing that could happen today is if the sun somehow got stuck behind the moon and we entered a nuclear Winter.

I was actually speculating in the future if humankind could find a way to stop the moon from moving during an eclipse.  One of the boring things about astronomy is usually everything happens as expected- completely the opposite with the weather.

Just now, NJwx85 said:

Yes it is quite annoying isn't it and by tomorrow everyone will have forgotten about it like you said. 

2024 looks more interesting anyway and is not a far drive away from totality.

Just now, SnoSki14 said:

Yes it is quite annoying isn't it and by tomorrow everyone will have forgotten about it like you said. 

2024 looks more interesting anyway and is not a far drive away from totality.

I guess that one might be more interesting because we'll have a much greater coverage. When is the one after 2024?

Just now, NJwx85 said:

I guess that one might be more interesting because we'll have a much greater coverage. When is the one after 2024?

The one in 2045 is actually really interesting because it's the longest one of the century (over 6 min totality) and will go right over Walt Disney World.

Archived