• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    david121212
    Newest Member
    david121212
WxWatcher007

Harvey - Main Thread

Austin about to get drenched again, the center is still drifting NW and a nice band is heading into the city. The airport's already getting it. 

As for "Rt. 290's been dry", radar is already estimating over 4" in that corridor, and it's raining hard there now and especially down toward Rt. 71. There's another 24-36 hours coming. 

Austin itself has 2-3" so far, 1" in the northwest suburbs. 

3 hours ago, Master of Disaster said:

What were the highest confirmed winds recorded at landfall? Sustained 100 with gusts to 113 was the highest I saw. 

Port Aransas gusted to 132 mph (Cat 4 strength) at one point.

4 minutes ago, andyhb said:

Port Aransas gusted to 132 mph (Cat 4 strength) at one point.

At 8:58pm, the station recorded 114G131.

Also, there was a VDM with a reliable 113kt surface wind during landfall time. Definitely supports the cat 4 designation.

• Like 1

I'm honestly shocked their weren't higher sustained winds reported with higher gusts. Maybe it just wasn't reaching the surface but I figured it would with how intense that western eyewall was. Reed claimed 140+ gusts in his video

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, monsoonman1 said:

Seen some reports saying 8 dead in Port Aransas.

Fire chief said there were no deaths there.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, StormChaser4Life said:

I'm honestly shocked their weren't higher sustained winds reported with higher gusts. Maybe it just wasn't reaching the surface but I figured it would with how intense that western eyewall was. Reed claimed 140+ gusts in his video

131 is damn impressive. There aren't many reporting stations that were operational during the height of the storm, and none in Rockport.

the structural damage there, including demolished brick buildings and completely collapsed framed buildings suggests winds over 140. 

3 minutes ago, StormChaser4Life said:

There were quite a few reports of anemometers breaking as the storm approached even before the eyewall. May have had something to do with it.

7 minutes ago, StormChaser4Life said:

Certainly possible, although RT can be a little cray cray too.

4 minutes ago, StormChaser4Life said:

It might've somewhere right at the water's edge, but perhaps nobody recorded it. There are literally tons of cases where the maximum sustained wind isn't actually observed by any instrument on the ground. As is, 114 is 88% of 130, and I'd wager that the cat 4 designation was appropriate.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, chances14 said:

These were the other guys with jeff last night at the car wash

I miss seeing their TWC show!

Harvey has been downgraded, took over 15 hours after landfall to lose hurricane status. Impressive. 

Moving: NNW at 2 mph
Min pressure: 987 mb
Max sustained: 70 mph

13 minutes ago, StormChaser4Life said:

This almost always happens and it drives me crazy. Blame the anemometers. <_< It's also possible some of the more impressive observations haven't been reported yet, I guess.

1 hour ago, eurojosh said:

GFS slowly dissipates inland, cuts down rain totals for Houston metro.

CMC takes it back offshore, drowns Houston metro.

Interesting to see what the Euro does.

Euro: back out to sea.

• Like 1

Again -- for the second time.

Port Aransas recorded 114mph, gusting to 131 at 8:58.

Also -- this was at/shortly after landfall:

URNT12 KNHC 260443
VORTEX DATA MESSAGE   AL092017
A. 26/04:19:20Z
B. 28 deg 04 min N
  096 deg 59 min W
C. 700 mb 2598 m
D. 113 kt
E. 073 deg 8 nm
F. 162 deg 120 kt
G. 073 deg 9 nm
H. 942 mb
I. 11 C / 3046 m
J. 17 C / 3046 m
K. 13 C / NA
L. CLOSED
M. C16
N. 12345 / 7
O. 0.02 / 0.75 nm
P. AF305 2009A HARVEY             OB 13
MAX FL WIND 120 KT 073 / 9 NM 04:16:00Z
CNTR DROPSONDE SFC WIND 290 / 18 KT
;

I think we have enough evidence to support Cat 4 winds at the surface along the coast -- especially taking in consideration where Port Aransas was in relation to the max wind band.

• Like 4

Reed had a sensor strapped to a bridge. It'll be interesting to see what that shows. Not an official 10m ob by any means, but better than no data.

Also, I'm sure damage analysis can do a decent job estimating peak winds and wind swath in the next few days (as hinted above).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Windspeed said:

ECMWF remains persistent in wanting to take Harvey back out over the gulf. Restrengthening by 72 hours and a little stronger than the 00z.

and then back in again! lol