Total Members
    Most Online
    WeatherArbordoctor
    Newest Member
    WeatherArbordoctor
WxWatcher007

Harvey - Main Thread

58 minutes ago, Tater Tot said:

Something that isn't mentioned a lot, but I've always found interesting: The people who survive this are still in for potentially years of psychological effects. I can't find it anymore, but I read a research paper one time about survivors of Hugo and Andrew's eyewalls developing full-fledged PTSD.

(The end of this page mentions a Hurricane Janet survivor still waking up with nightmares 20 years later: http://www.canebeard.com/andrew.html)

It took a good 3-5 years for me to not break out into a sweat with my heart racing when I heard thunder or loud noises after the Joplin tornado. I haven't had a dream about it for a year or two though, but I still startle really easily. The weird thing was that for 3-4 years I experienced the same feelings I felt the day of the tornado every time there was a thunderstorm, any thunderstorm.. even ones that I knew possessed no ability to produce a tornado would give me extreme anxiety because my brain was telling me that a tornado was going to drop out of the sky on top of me, even though I knew it wasn't going to, if that makes sense. If it thundered at all at night, no sleep for me that night.

I'd imagine it would be quite terrifying being in 100+ mph winds for a long time, not knowing if you or your family are going to be safe as you watch your neighbors houses being destroyed, listening to the roar of the wind tear down things around you. Being worried that you're going to drown. 

• Like 4

Eye still quite impressive at +11.9C. Even with your typical land-weakening processes I really don't know if its already down to 115 MPH based on its appearance. Eye hasn't filled in at all!

• Like 1

As far as structure for a large hurricane at landfall, this is the most impressive system since Hugo for the US. A large windfield and still a symmetrical buzzsaw on IR after landfall.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Windspeed said:

As far as structure for a large hurricane at landfall, this is the most impressive system since Hugo for the US. A large windfield and still a symmetrical buzzsaw on IR after landfall.

Definitely, this is the most full-package storm that the US has seen since Hugo. It's just classic.

Angleton has had 7.15" since yesterday, though the banding is east of them right now, Palacios 6.41". Matches well with Houston Radar estimates. most other ASOS closer to the circulation either lost power or their had an equipment failure. Victoria stopped reporting 4 hours ago.

Looking at latest velocities on radar, it has to be a Cat 2

Edit:  sorry half asleep.  Here:

LOCATION...28.5N 97.2W
ABOUT 30 MI...50 KM SW OF VICTORIA TEXAS
ABOUT 105 MI...170 KM SE OF SAN ANTONIO TEXAS
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...100 MPH...155 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...NW OR 325 DEGREES AT 6 MPH...9 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...963 MB...28.44 INCHES

I woke up this morning to a very strong couplet just south of my inlaws house in Fort Bend county near Houston.  I called and warned them and all seems fine, but that feeder line has been spinning up a lot of rotation since yesterday.

Here in College Station we've just had light rain since about midnight but it seems like it will gradually start getting heavier.  Scary situation setting up region wide.  This sounding shows us why.

Extent of heaviest rainfall with the 20"+ is  pretty clear at this point, based on the location of the outer band that cuts through Corpus Christi, San Antonio, austin and then through Houston and Galveston. That band will mark the cut-off for the heaviest rainfall amounts as Harvey's position changes little over the next several days. Looks like there will be much lighter amounts in areas between the inner core and outer band.

Glad to Josh is ok. Amazing video and I'm sure more to come. Talk about picking the bullseye Josh!! Geez

Stay safe...omg just loaded Qpf on other screen....no friggin way......might want to grab a raft or life vest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, dan11295 said:

Angleton has had 7.15" since yesterday, though the banding is east of them right now, Palacios 6.41". Matches well with Houston Radar estimates. most other ASOS closer to the circulation either lost power or their had an equipment failure. Victoria stopped reporting 4 hours ago.

I'm in the general area of the Angleton reporting station. Consider 6 pm as a starting point for this event and sitting at 5.24 inches so far. Being in the moat has temporarily helped with any flooding, though the gradient is impressive. Friend about 7 miles away who has remained in the rainbands is already nearing 10 inches. 

• Like 4

Got a 16+ out of the Victoria area already:

NOUS44 KCRP 261031
PNSCRP
TXZ229>234-239>247-262231-

Public Information Statement
National Weather Service Corpus Christi TX
531 AM CDT Sat Aug 26 2017

...Rainfall Reports...

Location                     Amount    Time/Date       Lat/Lon
2 SW Victoria                16.43 in  0415 AM 08/26   28.79N/97.01W
San Antonio River Near Mcfad 11.75 in  0415 AM 08/26   28.53N/97.04W
6 SSE Austwell               11.36 in  0459 AM 08/26   28.30N/96.82W
Coleto Creek At Arnold Road  6.37 in   0445 AM 08/26   28.86N/97.23W
Garcitas Creek Near Inez     6.04 in   0515 AM 08/26   28.89N/96.82W
4 ENE Victoria               5.66 in   0504 AM 08/26   28.86N/96.92W
1 E Victoria                 5.02 in   0418 AM 08/26   28.83N/96.95W
3 NNW Schroeder              3.84 in   0228 AM 08/26   28.84N/97.24W
5 W Corpus Christi           3.03 in   0516 AM 08/26   27.70N/97.39W
10 WSW Portland              2.55 in   0430 AM 08/26   27.81N/97.47W
4 ENE Robstown               1.29 in   0433 AM 08/26   27.84N/97.59W
2 N George West              1.04 in   0506 AM 08/26   28.37N/98.12W
9 S Tilden                   0.63 in   0430 AM 08/26   28.31N/98.56W
San Miguel River Nr Tilden   0.39 in   0415 AM 08/26   28.59N/98.55W
Laredo                       0.09 in   0500 AM 08/26   27.54N/99.50W
2 SSW Laredo                 0.08 in   0500 AM 08/26   27.50N/99.50W

Observations are collected from a variety of sources with varying
equipment and exposures. We thank all volunteer weather observers
for their dedication. Not all data listed are considered official.

$$

That Victoria number could be spurious, its a few hours old, before the core of Harvey approached that area.

Separately, eyeballing the 06Z GFS the center gets about one county north of where it is before it starts the stall.

2 minutes ago, Rjay said:

This is from Josh's twitter.  There's going to be awful pictures from the Rockport area.

https://mobile.twitter.com/iCyclone/status/901417036538150912

DIJ6AQPVYAAOFTf.jpg

Those palms were holding out as long as they could (they evolved for this).  But with this being an extended event, a lot more will be coming down.

Flood warnings and heavy rain already in Austin, and the center continues to drift NW. Victoria will likely experience heavy damage with the slow movement and hurricane force winds. 

Well winds are already down to 80 mph, so I wouldnt expect some minor structural damage/many trees/signs down. Bigger threat for Victoria IMHO is water.