Total Members
    Most Online
    Gino27
    Newest Member
    Gino27
WxWatcher007

Harvey - Main Thread

1 minute ago, Superstorm93 said:

You can see the eye pretty well on the NOAA planes radar. They're trying to negotiate that deep ball of convection to the north of the center. 

Link?

URNT12 KNHC 241706

VORTEX DATA MESSAGE   AL092017
A. 24/16:35:40Z
B. 24 deg 17 min N
  093 deg 28 min W
C. 850 mb 1254 m
D. 59 kt
E. 177 deg 7 nm
F. 284 deg 53 kt
G. 185 deg 11 nm
H. 981 mb
I. 16 C / 1522 m
J. 22 C / 1529 m
K. 18 C / NA
L. CLOSED
M. C24
N. 12345 / 8
O. 0.02 / 2 nm
P. AF309 1209A HARVEY             OB 22
MAX OUTBOUND AND MAX FL WIND 87 KT 032 / 14 NM 16:41:10Z
CNTR DROPSONDE SFC WIND 285 / 4 KT
MAX OUTBOUND SFMR WIND 77 KT 028 / 11 NM 16:40:00Z
;

1 minute ago, NorthArlington101 said:

I think we can officially state that we are in the midst of RI. Honestly not sure Cat 5 is off the table at this point.

It's not off the table anymore, everyone is still trying to wrap their heads around what's happening. Only things working against it are time left before land interaction and impossible to forecast internal processes.

Hello dear friends,

Quick question chaps. I have relatives flying in from Mexico City, Mexico to Houston, TX (USA) IAH airport on Saturday.

Is there any chance that flights may be affected, i.e. delayed or even cancelled? Or not really?

And to add, is there any chance of flooding on the way to and from the airport, we need to get there to pick them up and back somehow :)

Thank you,

James

2 minutes ago, 1900hurricane said:

I wouldn't call it a pinhole eye, but rather still mostly overcast. Recon reported the eye to be 24 nm in diameter in the latest vortex data message.

Not sure why someone would call it a pinhole eye, it's still trying to clear out.

Still not much sign of warming occurring on IR near the center.

1 minute ago, jamesbond said:

Hello dear friends,

Quick question chaps. I have relatives flying in from Mexico City, Mexico to Houston, TX (USA) IAH airport on Saturday.

Is there any chance that flights may be affected, i.e. delayed or even cancelled? Or not really?

And to add, is there any chance of flooding on the way to and from the airport, we need to get there to pick them up and back somehow :)

Thank you,

James

Good luck landing an airplane on a runway after 40" of rain in three days.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jamesbond said:

Hello dear friends,

Thank you,

James

As long as the plane can land on water...they should be fine. Also, make sure you have a least a 25 ft powerboat when you pick them. Tacking might be difficult with 100mph winds. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, NJwx85 said:

Not sure why someone would call it a pinhole eye, it's still trying to clear out.

Still not much sign of warming occurring on IR near the center.

The eye that was forming on the floater I posted looked tiny, but you're right, it's still just clearing out.

Houston meteogram.  Worth noting that this story doesn't end once the storm comes onshore and the winds die down.  Per GFS, majority of rain for Houston (~24") is next Weds/Thurs.

iahgfs.png

iahgfs.png

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Superstorm93 said:

This is a pretty terrifying look for a storm over 30-31C waters and little shear. 

KUDPnXF.png

damn, so that's the radar image from the hurricane hunter as of a few mins ago?

if you right click the image and copy image location and then paste that in here the image will appear in the thread

Seems I'm unable to embed image :(

Hello dear friends,

And to add, is there any chance of flooding on the way to and from the airport, we need to get there to pick them up and back somehow

Thank you,

James

If the GFS is to be believed, that plane won't be able to land for 5 days. They won't be able to fly in and it wouldn't be safe to drive.
  • Like 1

To think this system has another 36 hours before landfall is rather concerning. ERC is TX coast's lone hope that rapid intensification ceases, as there aren't any foreseen conditions that will likely weaken Harvey.

I