• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    christopher58
    Newest Member
    christopher58
WxWatcher007

Harvey - Main Thread

The Feds won't provide enough to truly cover everything for most, but they won't be totally out of luck either. When an aid package is passed by Congress and by the State of Texas, much of it will go to help homeowners and renters. 

1 minute ago, jm1220 said:

The Feds won't provide enough to truly cover everything for most, but they won't be totally out of luck either. When an aid package is passed by Congress and by the State of Texas, much of it will go to help homeowners and renters. 

Unfortunately these things take a ton of time, years in many cases. 

Yeah, FEMA gives grants, the grants won't be nearly enough to rebuild your house as they aren't that much. FEMA partners with the SBA, and they will get you a low-interest disaster loan from the SBA. Being uninsured puts people in a very bad situation financially when disaster strikes. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

probably a top 3 storm for damage and may make a run at #1.

In the end - if people lost homes and didn't have flood insurance they may leave Houston altogether.  My sister in law's family left New Orleans for North Carolina after Katrina because it was cheaper to rebuild elsewhere without a full insurance payout.  There are still wards in New Orleans that have never recovered from Katrina.
This will be a test of South/SE Texans - seeing how many choose to stay put after this disaster.

• Like 2

I was on twitter and typed in #portarthur it is gut wrenching to see what's on there. Someone in the past hour tweeted there trapped in an attic. I think the death toll will rise when this area clears of flood waters.

31 minutes ago, Wmsptwx said:

Is there any updates on Beaumont situation? Seems most talk has drifted to aftermath and insurance.

its pretty bad. My dad went out to rescue some coworkers and almost got swept away himself.  He made it back to his office and is calling all his staff to see what type of help they need.  One of their employees lost power & flooded last night. Their baby is on a ventilator.  They were finally able to get in touch with emergency officials and they were airlifted out this morning. The baby is safely at the hospital. They are very concerned about infrastructure. Usually there is an evacuation and everyone is somewhere else with shelter and food etc. They don't return until basic services are returned. Now it is just the opposite. Everybody is there after the storm trying to get basic services on top of search and rescue.  What stores are open (the HEB) are running out of food with long lines stretching outside.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Chucktown81 said:

its pretty bad. My dad went out to rescue some coworkers and almost got swept away himself.  He made it back to his office and is calling all his staff to see what type of help they need.  One of their employees lost power & flooded last night. Their baby is on a ventilator.  They were finally able to get in touch with emergency officials and they were airlifted out this morning. The baby is safely at the hospital. They are very concerned about infrastructure. Usually there is an evacuation and everyone is somewhere else with shelter and food etc. They don't return until basic services are returned. Now it is just the opposite. Everybody is there after the storm trying to get basic services on top of search and rescue.  What stores are open (the HEB) are running out of food with long lines stretching outside.

Thank you for the update, that is truly awfuk to hear such dire circumstances. I am not familiar with the environs, is there a bayou/river flooding or is it mainly street/flash type?

Area Forecast Discussion
National Weather Service Houston/Galveston TX
350 PM CDT Wed Aug 30 2017

.DISCUSSION...

Today marks the first step in a journey of many, many steps back
towards normalcy in our area after the onslaught of Harvey. In the
east, some lingering rain from Harvey`s back edge remains this
afternoon. Otherwise, we have no rain, and the sun is beginning
to break through from west to east. A lack of rain is an
infinitesimal, but more than deserved prize for the large number
of dedicated first responders, dispatchers, and volunteers who
have put in so many hours of hard work under terrible conditions
to help the citizens of Southeast Texas.
  • Like 7

1 minute ago, Wmsptwx said:

Thank you for the update, that is truly awfuk to hear such dire circumstances. I am not familiar with the environs, is there a bayou/river flooding or is it mainly street/flash type?

Any area that is low lying is flooded, its not really from any one bayou or river.   My dad's neighborhood has amazingly been spared so far but all around them the streets and houses are flooded.  There is a river but that hasn't been the cause of the flooding yet, its just been the massive rainfall with nowhere to go.  If any area has even the slightest of elevation then they seem to have been spared so far, the rest is just water everywhere, almost looks like a lake.

Harvey's 40" or greater rainfall amounts are as follows:

...TEXAS...
CEDAR BAYOU AT FM 1942               51.88                    
CLEAR CREEK AT I-45                  49.40                    
DAYTON 0.2 E                         49.23                    
MARYS CREEK AT WINDING ROAD          49.20                    
BEAUMONT/PORT ARTHUR                 47.35                    
SANTA FE 0.7 S                       46.70                    
PASADENA 4.4 WNW                     45.74                    
HORSEPEN CREEK AT BAY AREA BLVD      45.60                    
SOUTH HOUSTON 4.0 SSW                44.91                    
BERRY BAYOU AT FOREST OAKS BLVD      44.80                    
BERRY BAYOU AT NEVADA                44.44                    
FRIENDSWOOD 2.5 NNE                  44.05                    
LITTLE VINCE BAYOU AT BURKE RD       43.52                    
HOUSTON WEATHER FORECAST OFFICE      43.38                    
LEAGUE CITY 2.7 NE                   43.32                    
WEBSTER 0.4 NW                       43.32                    
LNVA CHEEK CANAL AT DITCH 407        43.11                    
LITTLE CEDAR BAYOU AT 8TH ST         42.32                    
ARMAND BAYOU AT GENOA-RED BLUFF RD   42.16                    
TURKEY CREEK AT FM 1959              42.12                    
BOONDOCKS RD AT TAYLORS BA           41.86                    
ARMAND BAYOU AT PASADENA LAKE        41.20                    
TAYLOR LAKE AT NASA ROAD 1           40.44               

Source: WPC

• Like 2

Just now, donsutherland1 said:

Harvey's 40" or greater rainfall amounts are as follows:

...TEXAS...
CEDAR BAYOU AT FM 1942               51.88                    
CLEAR CREEK AT I-45                  49.40                    
DAYTON 0.2 E                         49.23                    
MARYS CREEK AT WINDING ROAD          49.20                    
BEAUMONT/PORT ARTHUR                 47.35                    
SANTA FE 0.7 S                       46.70                    
PASADENA 4.4 WNW                     45.74                    
HORSEPEN CREEK AT BAY AREA BLVD      45.60                    
SOUTH HOUSTON 4.0 SSW                44.91                    
BERRY BAYOU AT FOREST OAKS BLVD      44.80                    
BERRY BAYOU AT NEVADA                44.44                    
FRIENDSWOOD 2.5 NNE                  44.05                    
LITTLE VINCE BAYOU AT BURKE RD       43.52                    
HOUSTON WEATHER FORECAST OFFICE      43.38                    
LEAGUE CITY 2.7 NE                   43.32                    
WEBSTER 0.4 NW                       43.32                    
LNVA CHEEK CANAL AT DITCH 407        43.11                    
LITTLE CEDAR BAYOU AT 8TH ST         42.32                    
ARMAND BAYOU AT GENOA-RED BLUFF RD   42.16                    
TURKEY CREEK AT FM 1959              42.12                    
BOONDOCKS RD AT TAYLORS BA           41.86                    
ARMAND BAYOU AT PASADENA LAKE        41.20                    
TAYLOR LAKE AT NASA ROAD 1           40.44               

Source: WPC

I think we'd be here all day reading a list of anyone who received 12+ inches, which for our area, would be terrible flooding. 

Just now, Rjay said:

^we prob will never know how much really fell in some areas 

That's true. It will be interesting to see if any amounts higher than the 51.88" will be found. The radar estimates suggested such a possibility, but we'll see if any measurements confirmed those estimates.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wmsptwx said:

Is there any updates on Beaumont situation? Seems most talk has drifted to aftermath and insurance.

Shots from the air on cnn and fox are incredible. As far as the eye can see is nothing but  water...saw very few dry spots. Reporter on fox said it's the case for hundred of miles.  Hard to guess just how long it's going to take to recover from this. 

11 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

That's true. It will be interesting to see if any amounts higher than the 51.88" will be found. The radar estimates suggested such a possibility, but we'll see if any measurements confirmed those estimates.

The highest unofficial storm total amount that I know of is 61.27" in Mont Belvieu, per the city's Facebook page

• Like 1

Is Accuweather capable of coming up with a potential 160 billion price tag for Harvey? I've seen multiple stories quoting president Joel Myers. Would like to hear opinions on the company's accuracy in coming up with this figure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, NavarreDon said:

Is Accuweather capable of coming up with a potential 160 billion price tag for Harvey? I've seen multiple stories quoting president Joel Myers. Would like to hear opinions on the company's accuracy in coming up with this figure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you have to remember, between GDP and pre-storm property values, the Houston metro has a value of like $1 trillion alone. plus add in whatever are the tallies from Corpus Christi, areas near/east of Austin, College Station, San Antonio; Port Arthur, Beaumont, potentially Lake Charles; the hit that businesses will take, not including possibly that chemical company whose plant may end spewing a toxic mess downwind of it, the potential cost of water-bourne and mosquito-bourne viruses like Zika may bring, the temporary rise of gas and diesel prices nationwide, etc. 160 billion in total may not be that bad a figure, it may actually be a bit low. But we won't know the confirmation of all those numbers for years.

• Like 1

Hey all. I have been lurking since 2012 :o 

I wanted to drop a note out here from a friend. Maybe there is someone who has the relevant information. If so, lets take it to private mail. Thanks in advance!

Message follows:

"I am attempting to locate a contact for the Utility Response to Harvey. If anyone knows who the company is that is supplying the facility operations to the utility camps, please [let me know]."

End Message.

On a side note, thanks to all here for the trove of information you provide. There is a great bunch of guys (and gals) on here...

Regarding the "chemical plant" all over the media, it is a relatively small warehouse and the surrounding perimeter has been evacuated. The media is showing headlines of a chemical plant about to explode and them some stock photo of a giant chemical refinery that spans square miles of real estate. Very irresponsible sensationalist reporting.