Total Members
    Most Online
    NJRunner
    Newest Member
    NJRunner
WxWatcher007

Harvey - Main Thread

9 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Couple of pixels of 63" of radar estimated rainfall over western portions of Dickerson, TX.  So many rain gauges have failed that we might never know how much rain actually fell.  The Harris County gauge failed at 51.88" so we know damn well the Hawaii record was broken there at least.  

Last night, HCFWS mentioned that they had 12 gauges that were either faulty or failed on some of the rivers/creeks/lakes, etc.  They had given a list at the time (I think I had posted a couple earlier in this thread).

Just now, Hurricane Agnes said:

Last night, HCFWS mentioned that they had 12 gauges that were either faulty or failed on some of the rivers/creeks/lakes, etc.  They had given a list at the time (I think I had posted a couple earlier in this thread).

Yea it's sad that we're losing the opportunity for good scientific data.  Hopefully this leads to better standards for placement and strength of equipment going forward.  Very frustrating to see so many ASOS/AWOS fail during the second landfall.

27 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Yea it's sad that we're losing the opportunity for good scientific data.  Hopefully this leads to better standards for placement and strength of equipment going forward.  Very frustrating to see so many ASOS/AWOS fail during the second landfall.

Jeff Linder from the HCFWS did say they have been attempting to manually measure those spots periodically in order to determine if/when further action is needed and to maintain some record.

45 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Couple of pixels of 63" of radar estimated rainfall over western portions of Dickerson, TX.  So many rain gauges have failed that we might never know how much rain actually fell.  The Harris County gauge failed at 51.88" so we know damn well the Hawaii record was broken there at least.  

There is no doubt in my mind that there have been some locals well over 60 inches..and probably at least 70 inches. i'm having a very hard time remembering if i have ever been in a very high pws environment and had the radar over estimate my precip..in fact it's always the opposite...sometimes by a lot.  But as you said, incredibly frustrating to have  a such a historic event and we will probably never know what the true max totals have been. 

At any rate, i just can't get over whats been happening around orange and beaumont. I've been glued to it since late yesterday afternoon, watched it till 4am this morning,  and it was the first thing i looked at this morning when i got up at 6. It's an incomprehensible situation....and it's hard not to tear up thinking about it. 

• Like 2

We might break the Vidor, TX record.  Setting and then breaking a national rainfall record in the same event.  We will likely never experience a hydrologic event of this magnitude again in out life times.

1 minute ago, Lookout said:

There is no doubt in my mind that there have been some locals well over 60 inches..and probably at least 70 inches. i'm having a very hard time remembering if i have ever been in a very high pws environment and had the radar over estimate my precip..in fact it's always the opposite...sometimes by a lot.  But as you said, incredibly frustrating to have  a such a historic event and we will probably never know what the true max totals have been. 

At any rate, i just can't get over the insane rain around orange and beaumont. I've been glued to it since late yesterday afternoon, watched it till 4am last night, and it was the first thing i looked at this morning when i got up at 6. It's incomprehensible situation....and it's hard not to tear up thinking about it. 

Terrible situation. And Beaumont/Port Arthur is another very populated area with lots of refineries/shipping/chemical plants as well. I have a sinking feeling there will be a significant number of deaths from these cities/towns.

Two more fatalities reported in Jasper County, tX where a tree fell over a pickup truck on FM777 south of highway 190 near Jasper

New FFW for Harris County, TX with strong wording:

WGUS54 KHGX 301212
FFWHGX
TXC201-302015-
/O.NEW.KHGX.FF.W.0107.170830T1212Z-170830T2015Z/
/00000.0.ER.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.OO/

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED
Flash Flood Warning
National Weather Service Houston/Galveston TX
712 AM CDT WED AUG 30 2017

The National Weather Service in League City has issued a

* Flash Flood Warning for...
  North central Harris County in southeastern Texas...

* Until 315 PM CDT Wednesday.

* The Northgate Crossing Municipal Utility No. 1 (The Water 
  District) has announced that a mandatory evacuation from the Water 
  District is necessary. This includes the Northwood Pines 
  Subdivision. It is possible, if conditions continue to deteriorate 
  at the current rate, you may not be able to leave the Water 
  District.

* Northwood Pines residents are under an immediate mandatory 
  evacuation. Please exit the Water District along I-45 south and 
  proceed to Spring High School located at 19428 I-45, Spring TX 
  77373 for shelter. To reach Spring high School, exit Cypresswood 
  Drive and turn left. Spring High School is located on the left.

* Some locations that will experience flooding include...
  Northwood Pines Subdivision.

LAT...LON 3010 9543 3011 9544 3011 9543 3012 9543
      3010 9541

A friend who is a nurse in Houston just posted this on Facebook.

5848 Texas avenue Port Arthur, Tx ----84year old woman needs rescuing.  Water is waist high and she uses a walker!   Her sister is at 6210 St Charles or Charles avenue in Port Arthur.  80 years old. Water is waist high and she is sitting on a counter top.  They need rescuing

I feel terrible for the people in the Golden Triangle. At the very least, Houston has enough robust industry, leadership, and money that I actually think the recovery will go fairly smoothly all things considered. 

Beaumont is the type of place that was forgotten before this, and will become even more forgotten after this. Lots of poor, poor, poooooor people in that area. 

10 minutes ago, WishingForWarmWeather said:

Seeing so many cries for help on Twitter in Port Arthur. Many pregnant women, elderly, and parents with very young babies, in waist deep water and rising. 

Reports that 100% of homes are affected by water in that area.  Crazy!

11 minutes ago, bch2014 said:

I feel terrible for the people in the Golden Triangle. At the very least, Houston has enough robust industry, leadership, and money that I actually think the recovery will go fairly smoothly all things considered. 

Beaumont is the type of place that was forgotten before this, and will become even more forgotten after this. Lots of poor, poor, poooooor people in that area. 

Amen. 

1 minute ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Reports that 100% of homes are affected by water in that area.  Crazy!

They're in serious trouble down there. Numerous pleas for civilians with boats. Resources are tapped, and people are in rapidly rising water. This is so stressful for me, it's really bringing back such awful memories. I've been in a panic attack for days. I just want this to end for everyone, and let rebuilding begin. I can't even reconcile or begin to process the amount of damage that has occurred. My soul aches. 

• Like 1

Situation in Beaumont is just terrifying. It may be even worse than Houston in terms of the number of people caught off guard this late in the game, as well as due to the number of (mostly packed) shelters being inundated. Seeing the cries for help on social media is gut-wrenching. 

1 minute ago, geddyweather said:

Situation in Beaumont is just terrifying. It may be even worse than Houston in terms of the number of people caught off guard this late in the game, as well as due to the number of (mostly packed) shelters being inundated. Seeing the cries for help on social media is gut-wrenching. 

I feel sick to my stomach. It's horrifying. They're in desperate need of help, and I'm not sure if it's coming. 

Like they said, "This is just the end of the beginning." Unfortunately, there will be reports of flooding along the track of Harvey for days. While we've been talking about feet of rain, some locations can't withstand 4+ inches of rain in a 24 hour period. 

There's a big difference in calculated storm totals between the Houston (KHGX) and Lake Charles (KLCH) radars.  Does anyone know why?

0bKpr0Z.png

CtVT4cM.png

3 minutes ago, cae said:

There's a big difference in calculated storm totals between the Houston (KHGX) and Lake Charles (KLCH) radars.  Does anyone know why?

0bKpr0Z.png

CtVT4cM.png

Can't believe there's so much that the colors don't even start until you've had 5" of rain. 

2 minutes ago, cae said:

0bKpr0Z.png

CtVT4cM.png

At least part of it is due to the scale being several inches different per color. Orange gets you almost 52 on the first and only 40 on the second.

7 minutes ago, cae said:

0bKpr0Z.png

CtVT4cM.png

The beam height will also make a difference.  I can see how big the differences between radars are in 40 minutes when my Dynamics class is over. (Unless someone does it first)

12 minutes ago, cae said:

0bKpr0Z.png

CtVT4cM.png

They aren't even close to using the same scale.

1 minute ago, NJwx85 said:

They aren't even close to using the same scale.

That's true, which makes comparing them a bit difficult.  But even when you account for the scale, there are big differences.  KHGX has about 46" near Beaumont, and KLCH has about 60".