Total Members
    Most Online
    Gino27
    Newest Member
    Gino27
WxWatcher007

Harvey - Main Thread

1 minute ago, tacoman25 said:

Did I miss something or is this shot not actually in the video? With the waves breaking.

Dude looked to have stopped filming to take a still.. then resumed filming. 

29 minutes ago, canderson said:

Just learned my wife has a friend in Beaumont on her roof, water on 2nd floor of house. No way can a boat navigate to get them with the insane rain and wind, they are worried about being blown off. 

Please pray for her and her family. The unimaginable is happening. 

They're certainly in my prayers.

• Like 2

36 hours ago the insane totals on the NAM for Houston were because it basically had this happening there tonight. The RGEM correctly had the highest totals farther east. I don't really know what to say, wish they were all wrong and Harvey just died. I feel terrible for Beaumont, so many resources in the region must already be used up by now. I can't imagine help will be quick to come tonight.

I can't even imagine. There are thousands of stories like this we will never hear about. Just heartbreaking. It really puts things into perspective. I have friends and co-workers who have lost everything. And yet here I am, on my computer, with the power up-and-running., like nothing happened. It's almost surreal. We haven't even gone back to assess what happened in Rockport and Port Aransas because the floodpocolypse took over all coverage.

My thoughts and prayers are really with those hurting right now, and I really and aching for the Beaumont to Lake Charles areas right now.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Dunkman said:

36 hours ago the insane totals on the NAM for Houston were because it basically had this happening there tonight. The RGEM correctly had the highest totals farther east. I don't really know what to say, wish they were all wrong and Harvey just died. I feel terrible for Beaumont, so many resources in the region must already be used up by now. I can't imagine help will be quick to come tonight.

It's hard to fathom, after this terrible disaster, that in many we ways, we still dodged a bullet. As bad as it was, it could have still been much, much worse with another stall or two out of Harvey.

I hope flood planners, etc., take a really hard look after this storm. Maybe Allison wasn't the wake-up call we thought she was. Perhaps Harvey will be.

There was so much focus on Houston and farther down the coast, I hope people around Beaumont were paying close attention to this and took some precautions.  

I saw the message from the HPD asking for more volunteers with boats for rescue efforts on ABC13. I was under the impression that rescues would be winding down so, I texted an old school mate who works for a local police department in the Houston area. Without going into detail, the amount of detail still just in the Houston metro area that are asking for evacuation is astounding. Not to mention that Beaumont is now recieving many distress calls to 911. FWIW.

It really looks like there's some sort of feature spinning just south of Beaumont on radar. I couldn't really find anything on satellite other than it's the focus of the coldest cloud tops.

12 minutes ago, Smitty97 said:

I thought earlier that the image looked like it was near the winnie interchange, but thats a good 35-40 miles from Beaumont.

3 minutes ago, Dunkman said:

It really looks like there's some sort of feature spinning just south of Beaumont on radar. I couldn't really find anything on satellite other than it's the focus of the coldest cloud tops.

Maybe a mesoscale convective vortex just west of Port Arthur?

1 hour ago, Scott747 said:

There shouldn't be anybody out there.

Apparently they still are, he says that's the area he is in. Told me earlier today people are still flagging them down left and right. When you step back and look at the scope of this whole disaster it's surreal. They put a hold on us leaving for Texas, waiting to see what happens in LA.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, jasons said:

It's hard to fathom, after this terrible disaster, that in many we ways, we still dodged a bullet. As bad as it was, it could have still been much, much worse with another stall or two out of Harvey.

I hope flood planners, etc., take a really hard look after this storm. Maybe Allison wasn't the wake-up call we thought she was. Perhaps Harvey will be.

That's right....it could have been a lot lot worse but that's because the event is so unbelievably rare.....while there are certainly things for flood planners to learn and incorporate that will help in future flood events sometimes it really is just too much water.....

A lot of the problem in Houston proper is that there is absolutely no zoning.  There is no zoning code regulating development, so you get places that are unbelievably susceptible to severe flooding.

8 minutes ago, LandofLincoln said:

3.87" between 11-12 in Beaumont.... oof

Over 2' on the day.

Terrible situation there, but would have been worse if it fell on top of the 30-40+" Houston metro has seen.

Not good at all.  Based on the 36.36" at 9 PM CDT plus the additional 5.93" as of 11 PM CDT they are now at 42.29" at this rate they could go over 50". Because it looks like they could be in the heavy rain for several more hours. :(

15 minutes ago, TellicoWx said:

Apparently they still are, he says that's the area he is in. Told me earlier today people are still flagging them down left and right. When you step back and look at the scope of this whole disaster it's surreal. They put a hold on us leaving for Texas, waiting to see what happens in LA.

Well i know that there were a handful of nitwits that were trying to patch up the small breech that had developed around a creek. From what we heard down here is that the actual levee that protected Columbia lakes from the Brazos hadn't breeched yet but was expected to do so tonight.

So its possible that's what happened but supposedly those folks earlier gave up and left. I guess there could have been a few stragglers. Now i can definitely see where there are plenty of people left in parts of west columbia, sweeny and brazoria that hadn't left and are probably panicking now.

5 minutes ago, Scott747 said:

Well i know that there were a handful of nitwits that were trying to patch up the small breech that had developed around a creek. From what we heard down here is that the actual levee that protected Columbia lakes from the Brazos hadn't breeched yet but was expected to do so tonight.

So its possible that's what happened but supposedly those folks earlier gave up and left. I guess there could have been a few stragglers. Now i can definitely see where there are plenty of people left in parts of west columbia, sweeny and brazoria that hadn't left and are probably panicking now.

Yeah, you are probably right...that was last he told me. Havent heard anything since. Port Arthur is in very bad situation right now. Kinda like Houston the other night, lots of rescues and people calling for help now. KFDM reporting subdivision on fire and fd can't respond....strong winds spreading the flames.

7 minutes ago, ncskywarn said:

Not good at all.  Based on the 36.36" at 9 PM CDT plus the additional 5.93" as of 11 PM CDT they are now at 42.29" at this rate they could go over 50". Because it looks like they could be in the heavy rain for several more hours. :(

They are going to match/exceed what fell in most of Houston/Harris county.  Again, I hope people stocked up because at least a few days ago, it was thought that any apocalyptic totals would tend to be farther down the coast.

42 minutes ago, ncskywarn said:

An additional 2.12" last hour up to 44.41"

1 minute ago, LandofLincoln said:

Insane. 

11.86" of rain in the last 6 hours, with 8" of that being in the last 3.

Yep, needless to say Beaumont Texas is in for a long night.