Total Members
    Most Online
    bmoremdwx
    Newest Member
    bmoremdwx
WxWatcher007

Harvey - Main Thread

1 minute ago, thess said:

Is the firefighter the same guy who was checking on his cattle? Or is the twitter guy misinformed about who took the photo? 

(I come from a newspaper background myself, hence the natural suspicion about sources.)

Its certainly a dynamic situation down there and I know they are trying to verify everything, I can definitely ask.

3 minutes ago, thess said:

Is the firefighter the same guy who was checking on his cattle? Or is the twitter guy misinformed about who took the photo? 

(I come from a newspaper background myself, hence the natural suspicion about sources.)

Ditto. Did the firefighter just send it to a newspaper and not to his outfit, who gladly would have publicized it? Did the newspaper not tweet it out?

Those swells just look like the ones you get in deep water in a heavy wind, not in 10' standing water on a freeway, even with strong winds.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jacindc said:

Ditto. Did the firefighter just send it to a newspaper and not to his outfit, who gladly would have publicized it? Did the newspaper not tweet it out?

Those swells just look like the ones you get in deep water in a heavy wind, not in 10' standing water on a freeway, even with strong winds.

Yeah. I'm going to drop it now rather than continue to divert the thread, but the tweet where the pic was taken by someone's nephew's friend while checking on cattle is rapidly gaining retweets, so I guess we'll find out eventually.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, OpenToSuggestions said:

Here's something from outside the city limits - evacuation of area around chemical plant due to explosion risk:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-storm-harvey-arkema-idUSKCN1B92J9

I saw something about that earlier. what particular chemicals are stored and made there (pre and post manufacturing)?

Did anyone else catch that utterly heartbreaking interview just a bit ago with the great aunt of those 4 kids (and their great grandparents)-- the family of 6 who died in one car in floodwaters?

That wrecked us listening to it.

The photo makes sense if it's 124 and not I10.   124 might look like that after a small storm surge cause cause it's 3ft above sea level in places.

Anyway enough arguing over the photo. Believe with caution.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jim Marusak said:

I saw something about that earlier. what particular chemicals are stored and made there (pre and post manufacturing)?

Ammonia nitrate supposedly but according to the article below many chemicals.

http://www.khou.com/weather/harvey/crosby-chemical-plant-at-risk-of-fire-explosion/469003777

The plant’s chemical inventory includes acetone, benzoyl chloride, chlorodifluromethane, cumene, cumene hydroperpoxide, DI(2-ethylhexyl) phthalate, ethybenzene, ethylene glycol, hydrochloric acid, mercury, methyl ethylketone, n-hexane, sodium hydroxide, sodium sulfate, sulfuric acid and butyl alcohol

I respect that that chemical plant has been up-front about the risk rather than just quietly hoping for the best.

4 minutes ago, jacindc said:

Really nice piece/FAQ from ProPublica about the reservoirs:

Houston’s Big Dams Won’t Fail. But Many Neighborhoods Will Have to Be Flooded to Save Them.

http://projects.propublica.org/graphics/addicks-barker

Decent but sensationalist headline.   The dams did their job (thus far) remarkable well.   Saved ~400k acre feet of water from being added to Buffalo Bayou at a terrible time.

It's not the dams fault that folks developed right up to it's edge.   Nor directly in it's designed overflow.   Or even worse, put housing developments right inside of the reservoir itself.   

I'd take a guess that the guys who designed them way back when would be shaking their heads if they saw they placed a warehouse right in the north overflow of Addicks, for example.

• Like 1

Beaumont's daily rainfall is now up to a record 15.45". The old record was 12.76", which was set on May 19, 1923. Beaumont's monthly rainfall is 41.18", which smashes the previous record of 22.74", which was set in November 1902.

• Like 1

Presser for Army Corps of Engineers - Currently working towards 16,000 cfs combined rate of controlled release Barker and Addicks.  They are currently at combined of ~13000 at cfs (~6,000 cfs & 7000 cfs).

109.1 predicted peak for Addicks.

101.7 predicted peak for Barker.

Note - I know someone posted that in this thread earlier but I think a bunch of us didn't realize they could go to that.

5 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

Beaumont's daily rainfall is now up to a record 15.45". The old record was 12.76", which was set on May 19, 1923. Beaumont's monthly rainfall is 41.18", which smashes the previous record of 22.74", which was set in November 1902.

Good thing last nights NAM and GFS were wrong. That would have been the Houston metro.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Amped said:

Good thing last nights NAM and GFS were wrong. That would have been the Houston metro.

I agree. I'm not sure that there is any prior storm with such a large area of 30" or more rainfall as Harvey has produced.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

hate to say it, but there's a high chance of disastrous flooding in Beaumont by morning.   Eyewall is starting to move in now.  50 to 60 mph gusts along with at-least another 10 more inches of rain.

as much as it looked like Houston was going to be wiped off the map,  all models are in agreement with the heaviest amount of precip stalling over Beaumont area the next 12+ hours atleast.  

another scary scenario tonight... the police chief was on the news a few hours ago ( http://fox4beaumont.com ) , saying they are absolutely not doing any rescues once it's dark tonight....unless maybe if it's an absolute emergency.  Their a town with a population of over 100,000...there will most likely be a lot of emergencies overnight.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, southmdwatcher said:

Ammonia nitrate supposedly but according to the article below many chemicals.

http://www.khou.com/weather/harvey/crosby-chemical-plant-at-risk-of-fire-explosion/469003777

The plant’s chemical inventory includes acetone, benzoyl chloride, chlorodifluromethane, cumene, cumene hydroperpoxide, DI(2-ethylhexyl) phthalate, ethybenzene, ethylene glycol, hydrochloric acid, mercury, methyl ethylketone, n-hexane, sodium hydroxide, sodium sulfate, sulfuric acid and butyl alcohol

the only thing not flammable there is the Ethylene Glycol, and maybe the mercury, if stored properly. damn, that would be a nightmare if any of those started going up. mix a couple of those the wrong way during a fire, a 1.5 mile buffer is not going to be enough. even then, if the mercury got into the water before the flooding receded, you're talking ecological disaster.

1 hour ago, Mountain_Patch said:

Would they prosecute someone who looted boats to save people is the question.. I bet it happened.

Not sure.. but I was mainly talking about jewelry, or TV's, or antiques, or sentimental family items......  Looters are scum. They come from miles and miles away to do nothing but steal and take advantage of someone who has almost lost everything. Seeing them get arrested after the Joplin tornado was an uplifting moment for everyone. The looting went way down after the National Guard started patrolling. 

After that come the scammers. People pretending to be FEMA officials in order to scam people, or people saying they can fix your property but they just take your money. The elderly are particularly vulnerable. 

• Like 3

Dad near downtown Beaumont says it really hasn't rained much over the past hour or two, kind of in a lull.  Radar shows otherwise.  Wonder why radar would show rain that's not showing up on the ground?

1 minute ago, Chucktown81 said:

Dad near downtown Beaumont says it really hasn't rained much over the past hour or two, kind of in a lull.  Radar shows otherwise.  Wonder why radar would show rain that's not showing up on the ground?

They were in a lull..more like lighter rain. It's getting heavier now.

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

They were in a lull..more like lighter rain. It's getting heavier now.

And their satellite is out and power is flickering, looks like you are right unfortunately.  I was trying to give them some hope that maybe drier air or something is working its way in.

• Like 1

http://forecast.weather.gov/showsigwx.php?warnzone=TXZ216&warncounty=TXC361&firewxzone=TXZ216&local_place1=4 Miles N Orangefield TX&product1=Flash+Flood+Warning&lat=30.0951&lon=-93.8889#.WaYcIbpFxPY

Flash Flood Statement
National Weather Service Lake Charles LA
844 PM CDT TUE AUG 29 2017

TXC199-241-245-351-361-300315-
/O.CON.KLCH.FF.W.0072.000000T0000Z-170830T0315Z/
/00000.0.ER.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.OO/
Jefferson TX-Newton TX-Hardin TX-Orange TX-Jasper TX-
844 PM CDT TUE AUG 29 2017

...THIS IS A FLASH FLOOD EMERGENCY FOR JEFFERSON...ORANGE and HARDIN
COUNTIES...

...THE FLASH FLOOD WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 1015 PM CDT FOR
JEFFERSON...SOUTHWESTERN NEWTON...HARDIN...ORANGE AND SOUTHEASTERN
JASPER COUNTIES...

At 833 PM CDT, Doppler radar continued to indicate a nearly
stationary area of heavy rains impacting the warned area. Widespread
flooding is already occurring. High resolution forecast guidance
indicates another 10 to 15 inches of rain is possible over the
remainder of the night. This is a PARTICULARLY DANGEROUS SITUATION.
SEEK HIGHER GROUND NOW!

Some locations that will experience flooding include...
Beaumont, Port Arthur, Orange, Nederland, Groves, Port Neches,
Lumberton, Vidor, Bridge City, Silsbee, West Orange, Kountze, Sour
Lake, Nome, Deweyville, Evadale, Central Gardens, Sabine Pass,
Thicket and Saratoga.