• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    davisinstruments
    Newest Member
    davisinstruments
WxWatcher007

Harvey - Main Thread

Houston's mayor, I just can't get over how great he has been. Calm, steady, resolute. A true rockstar for this event. 

Almost the complete oppposite of many local leaders during disasters. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Here is the updated top 10 costliest US hurricanes in billions of dollars before Harvey gets calculated:

108....Katrina.....2005

75.....Sandy........2012

37.5...Ike...........2008

29.4...Wilma......2005

26.5...Andrew....1992

23.3...Ivan.........2004

16.6...Irene.......2011

16.3...Charley....2004

15.9...Matthew...2016

12.0...Rita.........2005

Surprising that Andrew is only 5 on that list, such an intense and destructive storm.  I guess it didn't affect as large an area geographically as the others above it. 

46 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

630pm ABC news.   Starts off...  Breaking news.  Levees failing, situation getting worse, get out now....record rainfall, no end in sight!  Just a bit of sensationalism?    

The cable news stations coverage are brutal enough, can only stomach in small doses , but the major network news broadcasts are beyond embarrassing & have been unwatchable for many years.

Govt weather service has an uphill battle as it is in the face budgets cuts, staff shortages and on top of that they have to try to balance the over the top hype & sensationalism from the networks & social media. 

1 minute ago, DCTeacherman said:

Surprising that Andrew is only 5 on that list, such an intense and destructive storm.  I guess it didn't affect as large an area geographically as the others above it. 

Would have been been much costlier if it was further north into the MIA-FLL corridor.

8 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Here is the updated top 10 costliest Atlantic hurricanes in billions of dollars before Harvey gets calculated. Damages to other countries included.

108....Katrina.....2005

75.....Sandy........2012

37.5...Ike...........2008

29.4...Wilma......2005

26.5...Andrew....1992

23.3...Ivan.........2004

16.6...Irene.......2011

16.3...Charley....2004

15.9...Matthew...2016

12.0...Rita.........2005

What interesting is how recent all of these storms are.  There is no pre-1990 storm in the top 10. Harvey will indeed break Top 10 when all is done, said and calculated 

1 minute ago, StormFollowerUSA said:

What interesting is how recent all of these storms are.  There is no pre-1990 storm in the top 10. Harvey will indeed break Top 10 when all is done, said and calculated 

I blame air conditioning for allowing more and more people to tolerate southern coastal climates. These areas have seen a huge increase in population since AC became prevalent. 

• Like 1

Probably in part due to how much more sparsely populated the US coastline was during the last active hurricane era from the 20's to 60's.

• Like 4

What interesting is how recent a lot of these storms are.  There is no pre-1990 storm in  the top 10. Harvey will indeed break Top 10 when all is done, said and calculated 

Keep in mind those amounts are not adjusted for inflation.

• Like 2

Was someone listening to the latest update from Houston gov't? Bryan Norcoss talking about an announcement that they are going to increase the rate of release from Addicks and Barker?

here's something on the potential losses from a connection of mine on linkedin who I ran into a couple of years ago and have gotten to know decently. His name is Andrew Siffert, from BMS Group.  this was written a couple of days ago, before everyone saw how much everyone got in flooding and rainfall.

some startling potential figures....

http://media.bmsgroup.com/?p=5881

With the wind and surge loss estimates ranging from $1 to $3 Billion in insured losses the flood losses will highly depend on what the commercial and energy sectors sustain from the flooding. 

and from Kevin Simmons of Austin College: In the Houston metro area alone....  there is $325 Billion in residential value at risk. Also, the annual GDP of the Houston metro is $417 Billion.

just think if 10-20% is paid out...  we're talking potentially exceeding Katrina, in the Houston Metro alone.

Small core and tiny windfield. It was basically a 10 mile wide EF4 tornado. Dade Co. took the brunt, but then the core basically crossed the unpopulated Everglades. Winds dropped rapidly to TS force outside that. Had Andrew made landfall just 5 miles north, it would have put Greater Miami in the northern eyewall. Would have easily been 75+ billion in '92 cost.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BucksCO_PA said:

The cable news stations coverage are brutal enough, can only stomach in small doses , but the major network news broadcasts are beyond embarrassing & have been unwatchable for many years.

Govt weather service has an uphill battle as it is in the face budgets cuts, staff shortages and on top of that they have to try to balance the over the top hype & sensationalism from the networks & social media. 

They do a poor job working with the press but it's not all their fault. Angles, and ideology sabotage the passive nature of forecasting. 

4 minutes ago, jacindc said:

Was someone listening to the latest update from Houston gov't? Bryan Norcoss talking about an announcement that they are going to increase the rate of release from Addicks and Barker?

The discharge from the Buffalo Bayou from the Addicks & Barker reservoirs has been doubled to 16,000 cu/ft ps. 

1 minute ago, canderson said:

The discharge from the Buffalo Bayou from the Addicks & Barker reservoirs has been doubled to 16,000 cu/ft ps. 

I remember them saying 8,000 cu/ft ps was the max. Maybe they meant for each of them and not combined. 

Can the speculation and discussion on dollars and deaths and population issues and other non-meteorological + non-nowcasting please move to another thread?

And IMO it looks like the measurement device at Addicks or the data delivery is not working right.

Just now, LovintheWhiteFluff said:

I remember them saying 8,000 cu/ft ps was the max. Maybe they meant for each of them and not combined. 

From my readings 4100 is the max from each. remember the overflow in the NE of addick is also releasing. Tonight they are pushing releases to 4k each. 

4 minutes ago, canderson said:

I didn't think that was even possible....the flood gates only allow so much water.  My understanding was the Army Corp of Engineers had said they would take approx 4,00cfm total at both and now they are saying they are at 16,000?  HORY CARP!   Something must be very wrong.

14 minutes ago, jacindc said:

Controlled or uncontrolled release? Addicks is already into overflow, so how do you announce an "increase" to it?

Small core and tiny windfield. It was basically a 10 mile wide EF4 tornado. Dade Co. took the brunt, but then the core basically crossed the unpopulated Everglades. Winds dropped rapidly to TS force outside that. Had Andrew made landfall just 5 miles north, it would have put Greater Miami in the northern eyewall. Would have easily been 75+ billion in '92 cost. 

I witnessed Homestead & Florida City in late December after Andrew. Your post is spot on. It was the most stunning wind damage from a hurricane I've ever seen. Neighborhoods leveled,trees completely debarked if standing, even some minor pavement scouring. The whole infrastructure was basically wiped clean. As I drove thru in complete silence I thought.....this must be what major tornado damage looks like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Random Chaos said:

Controlled or uncontrolled release? Addicks is already into overflow, so how do you announe an "increase"to it?

They have been slowly opening the (flood) gates to achieve the desired cfs.  I believe that "fully open" for each site means ~4100 cfs (each).

2 minutes ago, jacindc said:

Curfew announced for Houton, 10 pm to 5 am.

Yep, now they have to deal with the ugly side of humanity. The opportunists who come and steal what isn't theirs. 

1 minute ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

They have been slowly opening the (flood) gates to achieve the desired cfs.  I believe that "fully open" for each site means ~4100 cfs (each).

Right. I thought they hit fully open late last night or overnight at about 4000cfm. So is this "increase" controlled still? Or is it an uncontrolled increase (as in, overflowing, and they just are trying to make it seem like it's planned)?

Just now, JoMo said:

Yep, now they have to deal with the ugly side of humanity. The opportunists who come and steal what isn't theirs. 

Would they prosecute someone who looted boats to save people is the question.. I bet it happened.