• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    davisinstruments
    Newest Member
    davisinstruments
WxWatcher007

Harvey - Main Thread

Via twitter. People now pitching tents on roofs. This is just downright insane. You’re throwing 40-50” of rain in the 4th largest city in the US. Mother Nature, you win. We tap out. 

5FA4A2CF-6612-40A2-9CBE-B4AE17E72945.jpeg

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

Oddly enough I checked a bunch of the traffic cams and I swear I see less flooding on the main roads than I did yesterday morning but that doesn't necessarily mean residential areas aren't worse because I'm sure they are 

You're not seeing things.  The flashy bayous run next to the main roads.  This is transitioning from a flash flooding situation to more of a classic river flood event (and in some ways is worse in this respect bc of the areal coverage of the high totals compared to flashier events)

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, jasons said:

This is late, but from Jeff Lindner about 30 min ago:

"Whatever you do, don't drive!"

"Ok."

"Mandatory evacuation!"

"Like, on foot?"

Some mixed messaging lessons to be drawn from this.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, SharonA said:

Harvey was what you would get if a bunch of meteorologists got drunk, someone was scribbling on a napkin and "hey guys what do you think of this sounding!" and they started throwing what-ifs then got to arguing over what it would take physics-wise to make that actually WORK meteorologically and that's how we ended up with this Calvin+Hobbes "the car wreck happened to be on the train tracks so the train comes along and crunches then the plane overhead falls out of the sky and triggers an earthquake" scenario.

It was a thing of meteorological beauty but I still would have been happy to have it remain a purely theoretical Happy Hour napkin scribble.

I almost think of it more as the question noone wanted to ask but they ran with it anyway....

what if Allison came onshore as a cat 4m not just as a tropical storm?

• Like 1

Just now, NortheastPAWx said:

IAH over 30" now.

Keep in mind that IAH's average ANNUAL rainfall, at least before this week, was around 45".

It's back out in the GOM.

I know but still.... Did it not get downgraded at all?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Drz1111 said:

Keep in mind that IAH's average ANNUAL rainfall, at least before this week, was around 45".

It would take me almost 2 years to get what Houston has gotten in 5 days. 

44 minutes ago, etudiant said:

It seems the Houston levees are holding up remarkably well, despite a really overwhelming stress test.

It stands in striking contrast to the New Orleans experience

Kudos to the people who designed and built the Houston system, they did great work.

i'd wait on that until the flooding diminishes. as much as everyone in here wants them to hold (myself included), don't count the chickens until they're hatched.

• Like 3

Just now, Jim Marusak said:

i'd wait on that until the flooding diminishes. as much as everyone in here wants them to hold (myself included), don't count the chickens until they're hatched.

Especially with that radar backing in now. Jeez.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jim Marusak said:

We stay hopeful because my heart can't take what comes if one fails. 

• Like 1

So could someone explain what happens specifically if a levee breaks? I obviously know water drastically and significantly floods an area, just asking for specifics like which levee floods what, etc.

Just now, Mountain_Patch said:

We stay hopeful because my heart can't take what comes if one fails. 

All I know is if there is a dam failure at Addicks, Houston is in deep deep trouble. Any updates from the corps? 

Just now, CaWx said:

All I know is if there is a dam failure at Addicks, Houston is in deep deep trouble. Any updates from the corps? 

Nothing so far. The benchmark for Addicks is 117 but only 111 for Barker. 

1 minute ago, MattPetrulli said:

So could someone explain what happens specifically if a levee breaks? I obviously know water drastically and significantly floods an area, just asking for specifics like which levee floods what, etc.

big thing to think about: wall of water worse than a storm surge. and one in which you do not want to be in the path of.

3 minutes ago, MattPetrulli said:

I second that question.

To my eyes, it's not rapidly strengthening in the GOM, right? While it looks more 'tropical' than this morning, it still almost appears like a typical occluded low. Hopefully it has been damaged enough by its time over land to keep it somewhat post tropical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KHOA Meteorologist is telling the viewership Harvey rain will begin leaving the area by tomorrow evening.   Any of our experts have an opinion on his forecast?

6 minutes ago, Jim Marusak said:

I think there's an element here that would like to see worst case scenario play out.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

KHOU meteorologist reporting that "conditions are starting to improve near Houston finally". Really? Could have fooled me looking at radar loop. 

They're prob trying to give the public some optimism. Unfortunately the radar is looking worse every time it updates. That band south of houston is strengthening as Harvey has gotten offshore and will likely pivot NW once harvey begins to head back towards shore. 

1 hour ago, NJwx85 said:

A large amount of the press thought the water would have receded by now, and I wonder where they were getting their forecast from. It seems some are still in denial.

Not in denial,  just totally clueless to cause and effect...and reality.   Mother Nature still kicks the a^^ of techno modern 1st world living and, I suspect, always will.  Okay, maybe, denial does describe the surprised baby duck mentality.

Just now, HKY_WX said:

They're prob trying to give the public some optimism. Unfortunately the radar is looking worse every time it updates. That band south of houston is strengthening as Harvey has gotten offshore and will likely pivot NW once harvey begins to head back towards shore. 

That is utterly reckless. There are people who will think it's safe to drive after hearing that...

4 minutes ago, MattPetrulli said:

Here's a video showing how it would likely go down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmKLxoAPU1c

1 minute ago, tacoman25 said:

I think there's an element here that would like to see worst case scenario play out.

No one wants a mini tsunami traveling through where some of the shelters are. 

Just now, tacoman25 said:

i sure don't want to see that. and i'm not sure any human met or hydromet wants to see that either. we may like big storms, and we may like big snows. but no met/hydromet i know wants to see any of that where they could harm people or significant property.

• Like 7