Total Members
    Most Online
    Catacol
    Newest Member
    Catacol
WxWatcher007

Harvey - Main Thread

4 minutes ago, MattPetrulli said:

Seems like convergence line is filling in W of Houston. Insult to injury for Houston.

Definitely new cells in a south to north feeder band line are forming just west of this band, to the south and west of Houston. Dangerous situation possibly upcoming.

1 minute ago, southmdwatcher said:

Definitely new cells in a south to north feeder band line are forming just west of this band, to the south and west of Houston. Dangerous situation possibly upcoming.

Yep, gaining DBZ momentum too. This is not going to be pretty.

6 minutes ago, canderson said:

New to Texas stubbornness? It's what makes Texans .... Texans. 

Nah most of us aren't stupid.  There are always a few people who do it though.  It's asinine.

1 minute ago, MattPetrulli said:

Also have to keep in mine, some folks are out tonight since it's A. Saturday Night B. Fight Night

Houston Maynotweather...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Msalgado said:

Nah most of us aren't stupid.  There are always a few people who do it though.  It's asinine.

Born and raised in East Texas. I know them all! ;)

NAM once again went nuts at 0z with a well inland band that nails places up into the Hill Country. Radar says it's probably clueless, since the real heavy stuff is staying SE of Austin and is obviously nailing the Houston area. The Euro looks like it will be more correct in the end with its heavy rain focus in the Houston area. 

Edit: the 4k NAM has the same Euro idea. Unless heavy rain really pulls back west at this point, Austin and I-35 in general probably escape a serious flood event, and it becomes Houston-focused from here (obviously bad news for that area). Austin is very prone to flash flooding and not so much areal flooding, meaning it can handle many hours of moderate rain vs a few hours of torrential rain. San Antonio also looks to have dodged any serious impact-the rain that's made it that far west has been pretty showery and light. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jm1220 said:

NAM once again went nuts at 0z with a well inland band that nails places up into the Hill Country. Radar says it's probably clueless, since the real heavy stuff is staying SE of Austin and is obviously nailing the Houston area. The Euro looks like it will be more correct in the end with its heavy rain focus in the Houston area. 

0z GFS seems to be taking a major step towards the Euro solution on track- though I think it's precip maps are screwy (way low) for the Houston area.

It's almost a worse case scenario. Intense band with high KDP parked over the area on a night where a lot are sleeping and a lot are at bars watching the fight. Extremely dangerous situation developing. Also this band probably is carrying TS conditions. 

• Like 1

I live in the central Houston area and just got done being blasted by that band. I've been following this thread since the beginning of the week, and have enjoyed all of the info and commentary.

I registered just to post the following link, which will let you see all of the high water spots on the main interstates and roadways. You can also click on the cameras option, which will show you all of the area traffic cams that you can click on and see a current picture. They don't all look so great at night though, and aren't always pointed at anything interesting.

https://traffic.houstontranstar.org/layers/#

• Like 8

Houston is in trouble. The flooding rain event from last Spring 2016 and the Memorial Day flood of 2015 at least took a 24 hour period. These bands tonight are dropping insane amounts in a matter of a few hours. Allison at least took a number of days to build up the 2001 flood. If this new firehose band to the west of Houston consolidates with the band still pounding the eastern half of the metro, we may be looking upwards of 15 inches tonight alone. Then more heavy bands are likley tomorrow... Then the core.

Yeah... Now Harvey will forever stick in the minds of Houstonians as one of the worst events in their lifetimes. This is going to be catastrophic.

• Like 5