Total Members
    Most Online
    LanaM
    Newest Member
    LanaM
WxWatcher007

Harvey - Main Thread

1 minute ago, Master of Disaster said:

I have a friend who just messaged me on FB. Her brother lives in Rockport and he is missing. She hasn't heard from him since last night. 

I read somewhere there are 9 missing, don't remember where though. 

12 hours ago, Scott747 said:

I'm in the general area of the Angleton reporting station. Consider 6 pm as a starting point for this event and sitting at 5.24 inches so far. Being in the moat has temporarily helped with any flooding, though the gradient is impressive. Friend about 7 miles away who has remained in the rainbands is already nearing 10 inches. 

24 hr total 5.82 inches

Dry slot/moat has lasted all day with only a passing shower. 

35 minutes ago, dan11295 said:

At this point as far as Houston proper goes, as long as they don't get very unlucky with a training band for an extended period I think they should be mostly ok. The 5-6" they have already had has had time to drain.

Houston's soil is very clayey and flat. Once the soil becomes saturated, the water will pond on the surface. They'd need a near ideal setup to avoid historic flooding at this point.

36 minutes ago, Amped said:

Yeah people in Houston need to understand this event isn't over, it's just getting started.  Hopefully nobody in the media is saying "Dodged the Bullet"

Keep trying to tell the friends I have therr that and they're like lol whatever. Can't win

All but one of the gauges in Houston are >= 99% .  Note that most don't have a "flood stage" setting.

The gauge just south of the text for Katy is surrounded by high CoCoRaHS readings and has been under training bands and TOR polygons since the party started.

20170826_2051Eastern_HoustonGauges.PNG

2 minutes ago, MattPetrulli said:

Seems like a band is setting up just west of downtown HOU. This is concerning, as its not moving very fast at all 

Like I was saying earlier. This is extremely concerning for Houston tonight.

Just now, sbos_wx said:

Like I was saying earlier. This is extremely concerning for Houston tonight.

Agree -- looking at the HOU estimated precipitation map, first 16 pixel appeared SW of Houston.

4 minutes ago, monsoonman1 said:

Looks like a tornado east of Sugar Land and Stafford.

Another threat with these. A training band will set up over Houston producing prolific rainfall and embedded tornadoes. This is about to get very ugly

4 minutes ago, MattPetrulli said:

Something tells me we wake up to major flash flooding closer to the center of the storm, San Marcos area. Non stop rainfall that doesn't look to end anytime soon. 

899c9b87c3324a678dbf2def8d1612a2.jpg

Bad flash flooding in San Marcos would be from heavy rain in Blanco County that flows downhill. That's how the record 2015 and 2016 floods happen. Heavy rain in San Marcos means flash flooding downstream from there, 

San Antonio has been very lucky so far. Austin however I would be extremely concerned that they will have a foot plus of rain by morning. 

Also, winds are still quite impressive on the north side of the storm. 30-40 mph sustained reports and gusts of 50-60 mph. That is going to cause a ton of tree damage in places like Austin.

Also, obviously Houston is going to get crushed.

14 minutes ago, MattPetrulli said:

Something tells me we wake up to major flash flooding closer to the center of the storm, San Marcos area. Non stop rainfall that doesn't look to end anytime soon. 

899c9b87c3324a678dbf2def8d1612a2.jpg

They'll definitely see plenty of rain but I'm more concern with areas near the coast and SE of the center. Direct feed from the gulf just unloading

This is why you open shelters.  Not everyone can evacuate, some are dependent on commercial power.

I've got a friend in the Westbury area of Houston about 10 miles East of Stafford whose wife is 8 month's pregnant with twins.  He's afraid if Harvey drifts any farther East he's going to make her pop!  He's freaking out with the tornado warnings.

Okay,  a bit of a rant.  Its 9pm Central Time and I'm an average Joe person that wants a quick weather update on what is going to happen in the Houston Metro over the next few hours.  Just went on the NWS site and it is so full of information but no place does it have a simple bold weather statement or "nowcast".   The graphic map is so confusing, with so many colors and watches and warnings that the average person would have no idea what is going on.  This could all be made so much simpler in potential catastrophic situation over the next several hours. I did my internship way back in the day and we would put out a simple "nowcast" of what to expect over the short term.  That needs to come back for someone that quickly has to take a look.....

Untitled.jpg

• Like 1

That missing number is going to climb.  There are several small census designated places that have not been searched yet.