Welcome to American Weather
WxWatcher007

Harvey - Main Thread

5,943 posts in this topic

Jeffs having connectivity issues so his streams keep getting dropped. You have to find them on his "profile" page

2 minutes ago, Memphis Weather said:

Report from Rockport

"Water flowing into the lobby, walls are gone on the 4th floor and tons of windows gone. Building shifting. #txwx"

What building is this?

I hope Jeff Piotrowski's okay there at that car wash in Lockport TX! My word. I met Jeff in Tulsa when I was an intern there and he was chasing the Catoosa tornado. The guys called him 'Service J'. I get it... he wants to be in the eye. I get THAT, as does Cantore etc. But they are my age...50+ WHY? LOL play golf, hang by the pool, be with your kids and grandkids. It's just a hurricane. There will be many more. Everyone wants to understand why there's lightning with this one. Who cares---the winds are 100mph+. What I would care about is WHY---the system sits where it is, if it does, for so long? TELL ME WHY. I don't want to know why there's lightning Jim Cantore. Really? True story example---We had a system, a benign one, approach the Texas coast as a low-level circulation and the NHC forecasts it to come inland within 24-36 hours. And I'm working the medium range desk at WPC---and I say to them (not gonna mention names here) on the conference call---"so where do you think it'll be on DAY 3 (the end of their forecast window)---and what do they say to me---"IT"S INLAND on day 1, you do what YOU want with it". Funny story---it never CAME inland. Long story short---ask the NHC, TWC, ACCU WX, (whomever) WHY this system 'sits' where it does. And doesn't head towards SAT/DAL, SHV, and momentum alone, etc? Maybe this is more for the 'forecast' section---but that's where the focus really needs to be--- where the 'monster rainfall' is headed next. IF they say it's going to SIT on the TX coast, it's asking the why question that "I really got tired of" ASKING.  

roduct: Air Force Vortex Message (URNT12 KNHC)
Transmitted: 26th day of the month at 2:49Z
Agency: United States Air Force 
Aircraft: Lockheed WC-130J Hercules with reg. number AF97-5305 
Storm Number & Year: 09 in 2017
Storm Name: Harvey (flight in the North Atlantic basin)
Mission Number: 20
Observation Number: 02 ( See all messages of this type for this mission. )
A. Time of Center Fix: 26th day of the month at 2:15:40Z
B. Center Fix Coordinates: 27°57'N 96°54'W (27.95N 96.9W)
B. Center Fix Location: 34 statute miles (55 km) to the ENE (65°) from Corpus Christi, TX, USA.
C. Minimum Height at Standard Level: 2,583m (8,474ft) at 700mb
D. Estimated (by SFMR or visually) Maximum Surface Wind Inbound: 111kts (~ 127.7mph)
E. Location of the Estimated Maximum Surface Wind Inbound: 9 nautical miles (10 statute miles) to the ENE (60°) of center fix
F. Maximum Flight Level Wind Inbound: From 142° at 117kts (From the SE at ~ 134.6mph)
G. Location of Maximum Flight Level Wind Inbound: 12 nautical miles (14 statute miles) to the ENE (60°) of center fix
H. Minimum Sea Level Pressure: 938mb (27.70 inHg)
I. Maximum Flight Level Temp & Pressure Altitude Outside Eye: 12°C (54°F) at a pressure alt. of 3,044m (9,987ft)
J. Maximum Flight Level Temp & Pressure Altitude Inside Eye: 18°C (64°F) at a pressure alt. of 3,051m (10,010ft)
K. Dewpoint Temp (collected at same location as temp inside eye): 12°C (54°F)
K. Sea Surface Temp (collected at same location as temp inside eye): Not Available
L. Eye Character: Closed 
M. Eye Shape & Diameter: Circular with a diameter of 16 nautical miles (18 statute miles)
N. Fix Determined By: Penetration, Radar, Wind, Pressure and Temperature
N. Fix Level: 700mb
O. Navigational Fix Accuracy: 0.02 nautical miles
O. Meteorological Accuracy: 1 nautical mile

Remarks Section:
Maximum Flight Level Wind: 117kts (~ 134.6mph) which was observed 12 nautical miles (14 statute miles) to the ENE (60°) from the flight level center at 2:11:30Z
Dropsonde Surface Wind at Center: From 160° at 10kts (From the SSE at 12mph)

Can't believe how calm road guy has been during the entire thing. Who goes into a cat 4 hurricane and decides  oh let me just sit in the middle of an unprotected road and slowly drift in neutral

I noticed in Jeff's last video he had a kestral unit with a station pressure measuring 931.1mb. Normally that isn't significant but Rockport is only about 7' above sea level, so the sea level pressure can't be too terribly higher than 931.1mb.

Just now, Stebo said:

I noticed in Jeff's last video he had a kestral unit with a station pressure measuring 931.1mb. Normally that isn't significant but Rockport is only about 7' above sea level, so the sea level pressure can't be too terribly higher than 931.1mb.

His instrument was like 14mb too low compared to the others' units.

1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, InstantWeatherMaps said:

KIII saying emergency management center is suffering damage, according to the Reddit live feed.

Unconfirmed reports that Aransas Pass and Rockport high schools have been destroyed.

Fulton Buoy CPTN2 is getting 76 gusting to 106mph (71.1 kt gusting to 93.0 kt)

Port Aransas  buoy ANPT2 now 115 kt gust (max of 117 kt shown on the data plot, but not the observation list)

Just now, dendrite said:

His instrument was like 14mb too low compared to the others' units.

Ahh, okay still very impressive to say the least.

I guess any reasonable conversation is out for the next 3 hours at least. For the mean time let's just watch it come in and chat so long as posts are so rapid.

I won't lie, the live feed stuff is harrowing, but I also like (silently) watching the met discussion and maps/graphs I don't really understand. Hope we didn't chase too many people off.