• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kgottwald
    Newest Member
    kgottwald

Harvey - Main Thread

The city of Dallas is making plans to open its “mega shelter” at the Kay Bailey Hutchison Convention Center for those fleeing the effects of Harvey. 

Rocky Vaz, director of the Office of Emergency Management, said in a written statement that the city received a formal request from the state to house up to 5,000 evacuees and hopes to have the convention center ready to take them in by Tuesday morning   https://interactives.dallasnews.com/2017/hurricane-harvey-live-coverage/#stream/

It's getting a little lost since most of the focus has been in the Houston area (understandably so), but the areas along the Colorado River downstream of Austin and upstream of I-10 have been hit about just as hard. Lots of totals > 20" in there too. The flood scale is ridiculous; it's basically going to end up with Allison '01/Amelia '78 like maximum rainfall totals with a Beulah '67 type overall areal extent. Based on surrounding obs (don't have a rain gauge set up at my new place yet), it looks like I"m closing in on 10" in Bryan near the border with College Station.

• Like 1

People have to realize with Allison only about 1/2 of Harris County (and only limited over areas in TX at least) saw >15" rain. Here about everyone in the county has had close to or above >17" in past 48 hours, never mind the upstream flood, which was non-existing in Allison.

• Like 1

The opening of shelters intended to house Houston refugees may be a little late until it subsides. Travel is severely impeded at the moment.

And apologies for the rant but WTH is up with Tuesday morning? In a modern world (which we are in) we should be able to have this facility ready to take people in 6 hours. What happened to American exceptionalism?

27 minutes ago, Stebo said:

I know this was from a few hours ago and they have been rescued, but this might be one of the most heartbreaking images out of this entire storm.

Not to get off topic or anything but I question the authenticity of the image itself. Lots of indications that it's photoshopped or doesn't seem correct. It got the point across as it's a very shocking image, but I personally don't think it's completely real. 

• Like 1

Crazy rescue played out live on CNN just now. Also, regarding ...

58 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Correct. CNN never said 40-50 more. They said 40-50 total. I was watching too

... CNN definitely reported 40 - 50 MORE inches for about ten minutes. The met slipped and said "more" instead of total and the anchor ran with it, and then the ticker on the bottom ran with "40 to 50 inches of more rain," for about ten minutes. Considering how long all these peeps have been on air,  it was an understandable slip by the met. 

• Like 1

Was in touch with my relatives southwest of Houston and they've basically been living in their closet, given the high volume of tornado warnings.  Flooding not bad right where they are but it is one of the better parts of town to be in.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Was in touch with my relatives southwest of Houston and they've basically been living in their closet, given the high volume of tornado warnings.  Flooding not bad right where they are but it is one of the better parts of town to be in.  

Have there actually been any tornado touchdowns verified?

With over 120 warnings, one worries that the public learns to ignore them.

Just now, etudiant said:

Tons of verified tochdowns.  My friend in Houston saw a weak spin-up just this AM.

1 minute ago, etudiant said:

Not sure, but I'm guessing that verifying or releasing info about tornado touchdowns isn't their big priority right now.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, etudiant said:

There were two or three yesterday and at least one today.

ABC 13 (local Houston) reported that the Army Corps of Engineers confirmed that they will probably have to start doing some releases on Barker & Addicks reservoirs.  They know that doing so will flood the streets in the immediate areas.

http://www.swg.usace.army.mil/Media/News-Releases/Article/1291256/usace-galveston-district-to-make-intermittent-releases-at-addicks-and-barker-da/

If there's one piece of good news I do think we are seeing the first signs of weakening of the overall rain shield all storm... Extent of the rain has been reduced up by Waco/Corsicana and even the storms out by Stephenville/San Angelo that had separated from the main shield are dying out. Bands also are not generating with the same ferociousness as earlier down around El Campo.

Hopefully this trend continues.

50 minutes ago, Stebo said:

I know this was from a few hours ago and they have been rescued, but this might be one of the most heartbreaking images out of this entire storm.

So what happens when water reaches electrical outlets on the walls? THe water is clearly at or above socket level in that nursing home. And it appears that there is still electricity as the lights on the ceiling are still lit. Is there some sort of electrical breaker that trips just the wall outlets? 

3 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Not sure, but I'm guessing that verifying or releasing info about tornado touchdowns isn't their big priority right now.

Pretty much this. There have been plenty of touchdowns over the past few days. There are less SPC reports of tornadoes today, but that may artificially low due to the flooding issues. The previous few days had plenty reported.

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/climo/reports/today.html

2 minutes ago, adelphi_sky said:

So what happens when water reaches electrical outlets on the walls? THe water is clearly at or above socket level in that nursing home. And it appears that there is still electricity as the lights on the ceiling are still lit. Is there some sort of electrical breaker that trips just the wall outlets? 

I really don't know.

2 minutes ago, adelphi_sky said:

Usually all ceiling lights/fans are on the own breaker as standard practice.

3 minutes ago, adelphi_sky said:

The breaker should trip, but the first thing that I would do if my basement started taking on feet of water is turn the power off to the house.

26 minutes ago, JoMo said:

Not to get off topic or anything but I question the authenticity of the image itself. Lots of indications that it's photoshopped or doesn't seem correct. It got the point across as it's a very shocking image, but I personally don't think it's completely real. 

There seems no sense of panic or despair, I'm going with faked too.

5 minutes ago, adelphi_sky said:

I would expect in such a facility (medical-related) that those sockets are GFI and would obviously become inoperative.  As noted, the lights are usually on separate breakers.

Just now, Violentweatherfan said:

There seems no sense of panic or despair, I'm going with faked too.

It's real, verified by news sources online....

For those who asked, yes lighting is often on its own circuit breaker. Especially commercial buildings, although its hard to tell exactly what standards that place was built to. These days its required to have some emergency lighting in commercial places, which could mean battery backup at the fixture location. Meaning even if power is cut everywhere certain lights will still run 30 min+ on its local battery.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, JoMo said:

On Cnn they say that a woman in Florida posted it-having received it from her mother who works at that home. Also saying that the Galveston County Comissioner verifed that they 'were waist deep in water' when rescued. Apparently 20-25 rescued there. They would not have had to photoshop much it seems.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/08/27/us/flooded-nursing-home-residents-trnd/index.html

7 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

I would expect in such a facility (medical-related) that those sockets are GFI and would obviously become inoperative.  As noted, the lights are usually on separate breakers.

GFI isn't going to do anything if water is over the height of the outlet. GFI breaks the power from reaching the socket terminals, not from reaching the outlet. The breaking point is inside the outlet. With water over the outlet, it is hitting the wires before they pass through the GFI circuit

Most likely separate circuits. Also, water isn't actually a good conductor. distilled water is actually an insulator; it's the minerals and salts in the water that conduct. Given that this is from rainfall, it's probably got dirt, plaster, and other non-conductive elements, but not sure how much conductive elements will be suspended in the water.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Random Chaos said:

GFI isn't going to do anything if water is over the height of the outlet. GFI breaks the power from reaching the socket terminals, not from reaching the outlet. The breaking point is inside the outlet. With water over the outlet, it is hitting the wires before they pass through the GFI circuit

Most likely separate circuits. Also, water isn't actually a good conductor. distilled water is actually an insulator; it's the minerals and salts in the water that conduct. Given that this is from rainfall, it's probably got dirt, plaster, and other non-conductive elements, but not sure how much conductive elements will be suspended in the water.

If water gets into a GFI outlet, it will trip at the outlet.  I have had it unfortunately happen enough times with outdoor sockets in the past that were not fully insulated.

5 minutes ago, StormFollowerUSA said:

Is there any information on how close to Flood stage Addicks and Barker reservoirs are?

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/tx/nwis/uv/?site_no=08072500

I am not sure what flood stage is but from what I heard on the news reports, these reservoirs are  made to handle a significant amount of water as part of their integrated flood control system, but they want to avoid any failures - particularly given the unprecedented nature of this storm event.