Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
John1122

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GFS has a strong intensity bias for tropical systems after the most recent 'upgrade.' Model is still a waste of money, and we should concentrate on our high-resolution wheel-house. After 7 days, outsource everything to the ECMWF.

Appears the big East trough will not pick up Irma in time. Frankly the US Mainland can selfishly hope the Greater Antilles disrupt the hurricane; but then, one is wishing disaster on Developing countries. Afraid no good options exist.

Same story in the Pacific, and I'm not talking tropics..

So, now looks like a weak trough in the Tennessee Valley could steer Irma. That sure ain't good!

5 minutes ago, nrgjeff said:

GFS has a strong intensity bias for tropical systems after the most recent 'upgrade.' Model is still a waste of money, and we should concentrate on our high-resolution wheel-house. After 7 days, outsource everything to the ECMWF.

Appears the big East trough will not pick up Irma in time. Frankly the US Mainland can selfishly hope the Greater Antilles disrupt the hurricane; but then, one is wishing disaster on Developing countries. Afraid no good options exist.

Same story in the Pacific, and I'm not talking tropics..

So, now looks like a weak trough in the Tennessee Valley could steer Irma. That sure ain't good!

Been waiting on that post all day.  Thanks, Jeff.

Irma 185 mph. Stronger than most Pacific Super Typhoons. Euro, Canadian, and Ukie all take it over Cuba. Such a track would drop it off to Cat 2 or lower. That's great for the USA but not so for Cuba. GFS still wants to thread that Florida Straight needle. I remain skeptical until it gets inside 48-72 hours. 

What is MRX looking at when they create this afternoon disco?  Things could change, but most major models and ensembles show a potential major landfall in this bolded area...not just moving along it.  Also, plenty of model support for significant impacts in this forum area.  No slam dunk, but their previous other discos freely mention the possibility. I understand being conservative and that they have a few days of wiggle room...but those comments seem opaque at best.  Maybe they will be correct...but seems like they are depending on being more lucky than good and hedging that current modeling is wrong.  The afternoon Euro brought high winds and rain into NE TN along w the GFS.  I guess they are just waiting a day, but seems a bit too ho-hum given the possible realistic solutions out there and potential impacts to the region.

FXUS64 KMRX 061908 AFDMRX Area Forecast Discussion
National Weather Service Morristown TN
308 PM EDT Wed Sep 6 2017

LONG TERM (Thursday night through Wednesday)...

Unseasonably amplified upper level trough very slowly weakens across the Northeastern U.S into Monday. This will be a period of most pleasant weather across the forecast area with dry advection at all levels as an expansive area of high pressure fills in across a large chunk of the eastern states. The dry regime will allow for sunshine filled days and pleasant highs in the 70s. At this time, the hurricane is expected to lift slowly north along the carolina coast Tuesday and Wednesday. The superblend goes wild again with much higher pops but tried to pull back on this concept if the track is to be believed, any deep moisture advection into the region is quite a bit too fast. And, the location of the low pressure center with a deep easterly flow around the weakening tropical system would lead to a fair amount of downsloping across the Appalachian crest and thus, lower chances for showers; except for this higher terrain feature. && .PRELIMINARY POINT TEMPS/POPS... Chattanooga Airport, TN 53 75 54 78 / 0 0 0 0 Knoxville McGhee Tyson Airport, TN 51 72 51 76 / 0 0 0 0

Much improved disco by MRX.  The 6z GFS returned to its earlier solutions and moved back towards the 0z Euro as noted in my earlier post...

.LONG TERM...(Friday through Wednesday night)...High pressure will develop and settle over the MS Valley...turning winds over the area to out of the north and north east. Skies will remain clear with temperatures slowly increasing with warmer and more moist air slowly advecting into the region through the weekend. Hurricane Irma is expected to move north along the FL coast and make landfall somewhere between northern FL and the Carolinas. Models are diverging on the path of Irma...with GFS now wanting to keep Irma moving north and well east of the Southern Appalachians. With model uncertainty continually showing...will offer low confidence for now on amount of rain and wind...as well as coverage...that will impact the area. Have left the forecast more pessimistic...with Irma moving almost directly over the area. With this forecast...winds will begin to increase ahead of this system beginning Monday morning...with the greatest chance for strong wind gusts in the higher elevations in east TN and areas north of I40. The rain is expected to arrive late Monday afternoon into the early evening. The highest accumulation values are again expected in the higher elevations of east TN and areas north of I40. Depending on the path of Irma...the flow wrapping around the system will be the greatest contributer to what areas receive the greatest wind speeds/rain accumulation. PW values are at or above the 90th percentile for this time of year...so can expect a couple of inches of rain accumulation. Areas that receive several bands of rain could experience localized flooding. Irma is expected to continue to weaken as it moves north...and cause wind and rainfall chances to decrease from south to north beginning late Wednesday afternoon. 

Updated track sees a tropical storm sitting over Knoxville Tuesday. Especially North and East of that would be getting significant rains and  very gusty winds. How slow/fast she moves or dies out after that will have major impacts on things like flooding and tree damage. Ivan caused some pretty major flooding tracking from SW to NE across the Smokies. Had a major road loss here due to mudslides from it. May be a lot more downsloping in the eastern valley with this track.

cone graphic 

Tropical storm watches in our area; there's something you don't see every day!

Monday night is going to be interesting around here. Nashville and Huntsville are more aggressive than Morristown on winds. I am hoping MRX is right. You see, MRX is in the stock the liquor cabinet zone. The others are in the stock non-perishable food zone.

Euro mean surface winds are a lot less than that peak chart. I will go closer to the mean which matches the NAM and other hi-res. Split the difference among the WFOs. Higher elevations, including the Plateau, might get raked though.

Frankly I'm not really interested until it boomerangs back as a mid-latitude low. Give me a chance of storm chasing.

Indeed, as noted on the Euro screenshot stamp it is wind gusts.  I did add an edited note for newer folks to the site.  MRX has finally dialed-in IMO...they look about right from what I can see. (Better than the previous move along the Carolina coast comments) The forecast for Chatt(KCHA) is pretty stout.  Sustained 25-30 mph w gusts to 45 mph on Monday night.  Again, it will be interesting to see if winds make it that far inland.  Opal and Hugo did substantial damage at elevation in E TN.  Irma's remanants look a bit west compared to those historic storms.  If winds get breezy, hopefully folks will stop by and report it here.

IMG_0578.PNG

The main Tropical thread has several folks mentioning that the 0z Euro missed on today's landfall and overall track as it was too far west...and maybe the GFS did a bit better.  Though to be sure the trajectory of the storm makes it difficult to nail in relation to the coast.  Still, the Euro did better IMO over the long haul.

Absolutely right! Most of the tropical models made similar short-term errors. Who is going to trust the GFS over the Euro/Tropicals? Euro saved lives in Southwest Florida with the right mid-term forecast. When the chips are down, it's about saving lives. Euro reigns undisputed champion!

14 hours ago, Carvers Gap said:

The main Tropical thread has several folks mentioning that the 0z Euro missed on today's landfall and overall track as it was too far west...and maybe the GFS did a bit better.  Though to be sure the trajectory of the storm makes it difficult to nail in relation to the coast.  Still, the Euro did better IMO over the long haul.

TS Irma's outstretched northern precip shield is already knocking on the door of SWVA and NETN. I am curious to see if the rain will remain continuous or break into showers past the blue ridge. So far that doesn't seem to be happening in SETN. Areas further south in the forum area may be in for some local flooding.

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic

Archived