Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The 2017-18 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

2 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Wow, I didn't realize how bad it was in the Rockies.  Vail is 10% open.

My friend lives in Denver with a season pass to Breck. The mtns really haven't had any snow yet. The West has been under a semi-permanent ridge. So far it has been famine. The only places doing well so far are Jackson Hole Grand Targhee area

Second day out this season at Great Brook. They could use another 6" of snow but with cold, they will be fine. The parking lot was jammed full. It is amazing how much pent-up demand there is for getting outside in the winter - lots of families and novice skiers. Spent most of my time on the classic skis but skated for last 30 minutes.

Went to Mt. Snow yesterday. Fantastic day! The packed powder reminded me of Steamboat. Silky smooth. All trails and glades were open. North side was the best. Glades on north side we’re fantastic. Wasn’t too cold until the end of the day. Definitely one of my more memorable ski days. Longest lift line we waited in was about 7-8 minutes.

64d83e45bcb54d19a31f6cfc1c938c2e.jpg

IMG_3052.JPG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, amarshall said:

Heading to Killington tomorrow.  Pulled the plug on the kids ski school.  They can ski with me and warm up after every run. 

Killington skied fantastic on the 22nd. The base is deep and even some of the lines that need plenty of snow to deliver the goods, such as Ovation, were rocking.

1 hour ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Wow, that’s pretty epic. Today is probably allot worse. -20 with a wind hold on the upper mountain at Stratton. And that’s not even one of the colder mountains. 

I’m taking a scheduled day off but there’s no wind in the woods and the workout keeps me warm.  That pic was from the woods off castle rock which just opened Tuesday so there is plenty of fresh to be had.  Good fluff on top of a unexpectedly solid base.  Found similar conditions mid mountain in the woods.  Best holiday week snow conditions I can remember in years.  Recharge and back out tomorrow.

No photos but rode Jay Peak today and yesterday. Groomers were good especially early in the day and the woods were nice all day both days. I can't say there was powder or really fresh snow anywhere, but I was pleased with 100% of the terrain open and the glades holding up to traffic today. Seems the rain/ frz rain last week put a crust layer in the woods and only 5-6" newer snow in top. It made for tricky turns in untouched areas. They ran all lifts today due to light winds and temps slightly above zero. Yesterday and likely tomorrow will limit summit access. Not bad for a holiday week. Never more than a 2 minute wait for a lift due to cold. 

On 12/19/2017 at 8:42 PM, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Wow, I didn't realize how bad it was in the Rockies.  Vail is 10% open.

Still rough out there.

I just checked Snowbird and it says 41F right now, 39 of 170 trails open, 94" on the season.

I've measured 99" at 3,000ft on Mansfield.  Also, considering they need like a 5/6-foot or deeper snowpack to even think about opening a lot of terrain, they've got some work to do.  It can change so quickly out west at those snowy areas like Alta/Snowbird, Tahoe, etc.... they can put up 100" in 5 days and change the game.

On 8/1/2017 at 8:33 PM, Ginx snewx said:

If it's 3/4 of last year it's still a win

Be careful posting memes in this site, they are often removed

i hope everyone has a great ski season. I live in VT and we have lots of skiing. I prefer snowshoeing as I don't own any skis but I could tear up some slopes on my snow shoes alone LOL.

if anyone wants some deep ski snow come hit Vermont 

On 12/27/2017 at 10:47 AM, snowgeek said:

Went to Mt. Snow yesterday. Fantastic day! The packed powder reminded me of Steamboat. Silky smooth. All trails and glades were open. North side was the best. Glades on north side we’re fantastic. Wasn’t too cold until the end of the day. Definitely one of my more memorable ski days. Longest lift line we waited in was about 7-8 minutes.

64d83e45bcb54d19a31f6cfc1c938c2e.jpg

IMG_3052.JPG

Beautiful photos of mount snow!! Vermont represent I have family that works at mount snow - my uncle is one of the owners. Message me for any discounts LOL

19 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Still rough out there.

I just checked Snowbird and it says 41F right now, 39 of 170 trails open, 94" on the season.

I've measured 99" at 3,000ft on Mansfield.  Also, considering they need like a 5/6-foot or deeper snowpack to even think about opening a lot of terrain, they've got some work to do.  It can change so quickly out west at those snowy areas like Alta/Snowbird, Tahoe, etc.... they can put up 100" in 5 days and change the game.

The reality is their 93" was probably a lot of sublimating powder that isn't necessarily putting down the best base either. Hopefully they have a better second half.

On 12/30/2017 at 7:09 PM, powderfreak said:

Still rough out there.

They are having a terrible winter. Sorta the flip-side of our intense cold. They are way above average temp wise with a big broad ridge over the western half of the US.  Utah has historically almost never gotten a true 2015-2016 stinker. So it should flip for them ....prob right around the time we get a week and a half of cutters. LOL.  

One of the few places where even the best weather models can't figure it out.

"Snow accumulations of one inch or less possible."

Where the heck does 12" at 3,000ft and up to 18" at 4,000ft come from out of no where?  Somehow it sustained 1-2"/hr all of last night and then dawned bluebird.

26195302_10103283874436170_2061257254050

Surprise-12-inches-overnight..jpg

26167290_10103283708144420_5701889815866

12" at our 3,000ft stake which is about 2/3rds of the way up the mountain.

12-inches-of-new-snow-at-the-High-Road-s

• Like 1