Welcome to American Weather
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Skivt2

The 2017-18 Ski Season Thread

106 posts in this topic

On 11/29/2017 at 8:31 AM, tnt said:

This pic made their Facebook page....incredible shot....

How'd you guys do overnight?   Rain this morning?  

Funny how that might happen ;).  I do their social media among other things.

Regarding yesterday... we didn't see any rain above 3,000ft and below that there were literally like 3-5 minutes of light rain before it went over to heavy snow with thunder and lightning.  1" yesterday at both the top and bottom stakes from those squalls.

Today was better than expected (modern grooming machines are pretty cool) with pretty much packed powder above 2,500ft but it got granular/firmer on the lower half, presumably from the brief rain and then the wet snow that injected a bit of water into the lower mountain terrain.

1 person likes this

6 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Funny how that might happen ;).  I do their social media among other things.

Regarding yesterday... we didn't see any rain above 3,000ft and below that there were literally like 3-5 minutes of light rain before it went over to heavy snow with thunder and lightning.  1" yesterday at both the top and bottom stakes from those squalls.

Today was better than expected (modern grooming machines are pretty cool) with pretty much packed powder above 2,500ft but it got granular/firmer on the lower half, presumably from the brief rain and then the wet snow that injected a bit of water into the lower mountain terrain.

awesome!  I just got up here....we're skiing stowe saturday for sure, debating on stowe v. jay tomorrow,.  About 2" of dense snow here where we are staying, but unfortunately it stopped coming down around 11pm....those conditions sound pretty great for november!  see you out there...

6 hours ago, tnt said:

awesome!  I just got up here....we're skiing stowe saturday for sure, debating on stowe v. jay tomorrow,.  About 2" of dense snow here where we are staying, but unfortunately it stopped coming down around 11pm....those conditions sound pretty great for november!  see you out there...

Grooming is reporting 1.5" of wet snow above 2,600ft or so.  Just a trace at the Stake in the base area this morning.  

Should be interesting today with some variation from top to bottom.

15 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Grooming is reporting 1.5" of wet snow above 2,600ft or so.  Just a trace at the Stake in the base area this morning.  

Should be interesting today with some variation from top to bottom.

was a great day out there....sure seems like there was more than 1.5 up top.  Soft snow up top, corn snow at the bottom, a bit scratchy in the middle, but way, way better than we were expecting.  Had a blast.

8 hours ago, tnt said:

was a great day out there....sure seems like there was more than 1.5 up top.  Soft snow up top, corn snow at the bottom, a bit scratchy in the middle, but way, way better than we were expecting.  Had a blast.

That's what we like to hear ;).  With the reputation that Jay gets sometimes, I want no part in that.  The goal is for folks to think there's "at least" the amount reported...not "yeah there was that much in drifts and a few spots." 

It has been a very good start to the season up here...crazy the difference right now between mountain and town.  I finally lost my snow yesterday in my yard (except for plow push piles) but then driving up this morning it goes solid white with snowbanks at like 1,200ft.  Up at 1,500ft at the base its just winter with 6"+ on the ground.

1 person likes this

My son officially had his first day as a liftie today at the local bump. 

He had done training previously but today was the real deal

Is his shoulder sore yet from bumping chairs? He'll be raking the loading area at some point and forget about the next chair and it will clean him out good, especially if it's a fixed grip chair... ah, memories!

My first few rides down the lifts from the top shack were terrifying, as you fully realize how high up you are. It's a completely different experience. After a while though you just sit back and enjoy the view.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

1 person likes this

On 12/2/2017 at 6:51 AM, powderfreak said:

That's what we like to hear ;).  With the reputation that Jay gets sometimes, I want no part in that.  The goal is for folks to think there's "at least" the amount reported...not "yeah there was that much in drifts and a few spots." 

It has been a very good start to the season up here...crazy the difference right now between mountain and town.  I finally lost my snow yesterday in my yard (except for plow push piles) but then driving up this morning it goes solid white with snowbanks at like 1,200ft.  Up at 1,500ft at the base its just winter with 6"+ on the ground.

Stowe really delivered.  You guys are doing a great job.  

Great conditions everywhere Friday, saturday the trails were a bit scratchy but nosedive woods was super soft (though closed) as was Stone Chapel (I think that's the name...) Woods.  Nosedive itself was in surprising shape.

My friend and I are just getting into skinning and had awesome little adventures on teh mountain both days, learning the mechanics of skinning.  Really fun.  Saturday we went up the toll road - saw the stake for teh first time in my life - out on the ahmhearst trail for a bit, then up around the nose to the long trail stake.  A lot of fun.  Real snowy up there - looks like full on winter.....

Great start to my season.

1 person likes this

Loon was great today.. Really surprised how many people were there today. We had to park in overflow. They had 25 trails open. Couple icy spots but great. 8fe2043414139fd3dfb6ffc3924a178e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

1 person likes this

Stratton was great this weekend for so early in the season. Walk up to Gondi with no lines. A decent amount of terrain open too. No natural snow until about 3,000’. Then it went up pretty quickly to full coverage at 3800’. 

1 person likes this

Super stoked on my new snow board. It’s a lib tech 165 skunk ape. Designed wide for big guys like myself. I’ll be up riding at Stratton next weekend. Stuck doing “snow removal” in NYC today 

17FDEFE8-6110-4FD8-9EBB-83EAA3B3F48C.jpeg

1 person likes this

Appropriate that Army's uniforms today are honoring the 10th Mountain Division and it's snowing pretty good in Philly. Beat Navy!!

8 hours ago, Angus said:

Appropriate that Army's uniforms today are honoring the 10th Mountain Division and it's snowing pretty good in Philly. Beat Navy!!

That’s what that was?  I only saw a few minutes of the game and didn’t catch the explanation. That is pretty cool. 

Got out on the skinny skis for 75 minutes at Great Brook Touring Center in Carlisle MA. Just enough snow to set tracks and it was nice to get out. Hoping for more consistent snow coverage this season! 

1 person likes this

On 12/9/2017 at 3:15 PM, Angus said:

One of my favorite trails on the local bump is 10th Mountain