Newest Member
    joxey
The 2017-18 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

• Replies 818
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/29/2018 at 3:53 PM, Sugarloaf1989 said:

Son and father both don't care very much for Wildcat. Sugarloaf wants  $80 midweek which I find ridiculous. We may do Bretton Woods/Cannon. He's also interested in skiing at Smugglers Notch if they stay opened that long. I'll take my pillow along for the chairlift rides.

Could do MRG tomorrow for $84...

IMG_9065.PNG.6ebf830b5c54298f8b9ff09b5d08c07c.PNG

But prices drop by 50% midweek it looks like going into April.  It's not only the big hills like Stowe ($131), Sugarbush ($120) and Killington ($118) that show it's an expensive sport.  It's MRG being $90 mid-week mid-winter that is the real sign...especially when you factor in the overhead costs there vs the big hills.  No real snowmaking or grooming costs, running only a couple lifts vs dozen or more, etc.  

It is an expensive sport and the disconcerting part is no one is getting rich off these prices and it can still be hard to cover costs if Mother Nature doesn't help out.  

14 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Could do MRG tomorrow for $84...

IMG_9065.PNG.6ebf830b5c54298f8b9ff09b5d08c07c.PNG

But prices drop by 50% midweek it looks like going into April.  It's not only the big hills like Stowe ($131), Sugarbush ($120) and Killington ($118) that show it's an expensive sport.  It's MRG being $90 mid-week mid-winter that is the real sign...especially when you factor in the overhead costs there vs the big hills.  No real snowmaking or grooming costs, running only a couple lifts vs dozen or more, etc.  

It is an expensive sport and the disconcerting part is no one is getting rich off these prices and it can still be hard to cover costs if Mother Nature doesn't help out.  

MRG is an expert skiers paradise, no pun for those who know and best part is no shredders like Ice. My MRG days have passed but ski it if you can 

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

Ahhh the ol' ski industry problem this time of year...

Plenty of snow, no one interested in skiing it.  In November there would be thousands of people cramming to ski 1 route down but by April when the mountain is buried, there's no one here.

DaGwB7BUwAA8J2p.jpg:large

I'll be up later today and pay for a lift ticket if you guys promise to let me ride my sled.  :sled:  I wouldn't even actually be using the lifts!

I'm just waiting for warm weather and sunny days before I head out again. Skiing frozen granular in the second week of April doesn't have much appeal. Of course, after April 15th there will only be six ski areas operating daily in NE.  

1 hour ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

I'm skiing at Bretton Woods on Sunday and Cannon on Monday. Should be decent with 1-3" of snow tonight and cold temperatures for the next few days.

Bretton Woods is $29 for the rest of the season and Cannon is two for $77 for the rest of the season.

Awesome prices!

Wachusett might do April 16.  I haven’t seen that before...  they did that May 2 fun day in 2015, but that was a lark

13 hours ago, Angus said:

I'm just waiting for warm weather and sunny days before I head out again. Skiing frozen granular in the second week of April doesn't have much appeal. Of course, after April 15th there will only be six ski areas operating daily in NE.  

Tomorrow should be as good as any mid winter day in southern Vermont. 6”+ new on top of a solid base on a Saturday with no lift lines? I’ll take it!!!

1 hour ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

What an amazing day. I think the 7” call was low for the upper mountian. The trees were absolutely epic with a solid base and tons of fresh powder on top. Throw in minimal lift lines and it was my favorite day of the season. Day 30 tomorrow to close it out. 

getting mid winter conditions April 7th just wow

I hit Smuggs for the last time this season yesterday (April 7th). It was a bit windy but a fun spring day out there. The upper portions of Sterling and Madonna still had plenty of goods in the woods and the groomers were of course full of springtime fun. They probably could have stayed open for another week at least but I guess they know their business and for a Saturday it was actually slow. I did get a chance to watch the pond skimming which was a first for me to actually see. That was a lot of fun. I left thinking I should have signed up. 95 people registered and did it. 

I would have to say this past weekend was my favorite of the whole season. 7” of reported powder (I think it was closer to 10” above 2500’). Never more then a 5 minute wait for the gondola. 

I also think a big part of it was being in great shape. I doubled my previous record amount of days with 30. Being in such great shape allowed me to really get into and enjoy the woods where there was deep blow off powder. Another factor would be confidence. It’s counter intuitive but the faster you go the more stable your board/skis become.  

Archived