Welcome to American Weather
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Skivt2

The 2017-18 Ski Season Thread

76 posts in this topic

51 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

She's not so much into cold weather iirc 

That too.  She doesnt want to bring her dock in because it will mean we jump right into winter. She would like hanging out in the lodge and maybe outdoor hot tub.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SR adding a novice trail and t-bar. Novice trail from the top of Little White Cap down to Barker base.  T-Bar on the left of Monday Mourning up to bottom of T2.  Reminds me of the original t-bar that used to run up there when there were 2 t-bars to get to top of Locke Mtn. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hitman said:

Killington ftw.  Blew out the mice last night.

Cannon did as well. I'm sure there were many others. Wildcat did last Friday. Killington hosting World Cup again Thanksgiving Weekend, so I expect to see them burying Superstar over the next few weeks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MarkO said:

Cannon did as well. I'm sure there were many others. Wildcat did last Friday. Killington hosting World Cup again Thanksgiving Weekend, so I expect to see them burying Superstar over the next few weeks.

Kmart will probably have a chance to start the base up late this month into early November...def looks colder in that period. The key as always will be to avoid the ridiculous torching cutters that can happen in November. Last year, it wasn't excessively cold or anything except for late October when they started up, but they managed to avoid the horrendous 24-36 hour 55/55 rains so the snow was able to retain nicely even during meh periods in November. Such a huge difference between a 58/27 day and the 55/55 heavy rains.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Kmart will probably have a chance to start the base up late this month into early November...def looks colder in that period. The key as always will be to avoid the ridiculous torching cutters that can happen in November. Last year, it wasn't excessively cold or anything except for late October when they started up, but they managed to avoid the horrendous 24-36 hour 55/55 rains so the snow was able to retain nicely even during meh periods in November. Such a huge difference between a 58/27 day and the 55/55 heavy rains.

Yeah, and the duration of that warm sector matters a lot...even a brief 55/55 heavy rain is ok but like 18 hours not so much.  That manmade snow is essentially sleet in terms of retention. 

Depending on their snow gun settings, they are obviously going for production snow vs. skier friendly snow at that stage, so it may even make sleet look like powder haha.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I prob would have waited until next cold shot....since that one may not revert to a big torch. But it's going to be pretty dry this weekend, so manmade snow could survive ok.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guns are on at Killington - wonder if they can get open by Sunday if they get decent production Friday/Saturday nights?

killington.jpeg

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Appears Killington is making snow on Superstar via webcam. Must be borderline snowmaking conditions. 

 

Also, just learned this year Ken Jones has a program where if you rent your kids skis there for the season, you get a Waterville Valley season pass. I wish I had known this years ago, lol.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MarkO said:

Appears Killington is making snow on Superstar via webcam. Must be borderline snowmaking conditions. 

 

Also, just learned this year Ken Jones has a program where if you rent your kids skis there for the season, you get a Waterville Valley season pass. I wish I had known this years ago, lol.

That’s a pretty sweet deal, depending on the rental rates.

For the second year in a row we are renting our daughter’s gear at the bump.  All brand new stuff. If she outgrows the boots, etc during the season they will fit her into new ones. $139 for the season.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

That’s a pretty sweet deal, depending on the rental rates.

For the second year in a row we are renting our daughter’s gear at the bump.  All brand new stuff. If she outgrows the boots, etc during the season they will fit her into new ones. $139 for the season.

$150 used, $170 for new. Of course the "real" cost was my $902 adult no-blackout season pass. I still think I'll make out in the end. Hoping to get 40 days this year.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, MarkO said:

$150 used, $170 for new. Of course the "real" cost was my $902 adult no-blackout season pass. I still think I'll make out in the end. Hoping to get 40 days this year.

Wow.  I did not realize a pass was that much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Hitman said:

thursday night through sunday look like a nice window for making snow.  We are not far now. 

SR announced they're open by the weekend, no promises on earlier but they're trying. SR/Killington is a certainty but curious who else will go for it. Heard Mt. Snow has a new system that they're looking to show off, Bretton Woods usually plays the early season game, maybe Wildcat or Loon will try to make a showing? I'll be at SR on Sunday and possibly Saturday afternoon as well and can't wait to get back out there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

My son is up at our local bump’s job fair.  If he gets one, it will be his first “real” job...$ plus a pass

My cousin from Princeton (now lives up near BTV) worked for several years there as a ski instructor starting senior year of high school. I think he was a lower assistant the year before. But it's a nice perk to get the free pass living so close. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.