• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The 2017-18 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

Might try to head somewhere Thursday for the day. Try to take some pressure off waiting to hear back from my interviews over the last few days.

Ticket prices seem to finally have dropped, but this looks like the last week for a lot of places, despite snow.

I understand why places close. Can’t cover wages, operating costs, etc etc with 10 people on the mountain at 20 bucks a ticket

Skied at Mt. Snow today with my son - a board participant here. Thought today looked like the best opportunity get spring conditions - soft snow and blue skies - for the foreseeable future. The mountain has a ton a snow. Arrived hoping to lap the north side lift and ski soft bumps but temps at higher elevations and clouds coming in after lunch kept the snow more mid-winter, crusty & grippy for the duration. The main face softened more but the terrain is not as interesting or challenging. We went into woods on the main face - found coverage adequate but debris was starting to stick out so got out pretty quickly. Woods on north side looked like better coverage. All in all a good day. No corn has developed.

Omg, my good friend just got a job as lift electrician at the Yellowstone Club out by Big Sky, MT!!! They flew him out and took him to dinner and he accepted the job offer. He will be moving out there in a little over a week. I'm so excited for my friend, but also excited I now will be able to ski out there and have a place to stay for free and probably get a discounted lift ticket! Maybe we can have a g2g at Big Sky? :)

Some pics from yesterday's adventures at Stowe... closed skied area and 7-9" of dense upslope snow.  The snow quality was perfect.  So dense you'd never hit any bottom (like floating on graupel and rimed flakes) but not wet and sticky.  Only the type of snow that comes from a cold atmosphere but not in the max snow growth temps.  Like SWFE snow, ha.

Spent the night with some friend's up at Stowe Mountain Lodge...which is one heck of a weenie location to stay.  I mean, it snows in town but not like it does at 1,500ft on Mansfield.  That place knows how to precipitate.  Went walking around the little base area that night while it raged snow and wind.  There was only 2-3" at this point but it was coming down at a steady 1"/hr so we figured that would bode well for tomorrow.

Bg2piRt.jpg

Woke up to 7" in the base area and called my wife, who reported 1-2" and that's about as precise as it was going to get, ha.  The usual gradient here over 5-6 miles from pure mid-winter snowstorm to just some steady light snow in town. 

UbZi13g.jpg

Lifts are fun but it's also fun to get up top and find every run just sitting there covered in fresh powder with no tracks on it. 

elU5Qjs.jpg

28EptWj.jpg

6nJYDCY.jpg

D800Bqo.jpg

c9bYpef.jpg

n2ighZm.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

So was last year better or does this late season dump help bring this year up?

Last year was still better to me for its consistency in-season.  I mean it seemed like it snowed every day.  It showed with another 100" measured at the same stake between the two seasons.  It was more active with snow shots coming from everywhere.

This year has had impressive late-season snowpack to me and great snowpack all season for the amount of snow.  The late season -8 departures, literally nothing has been able to melt at elevation.

29 minutes ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

Skied closing day at Mount Snow. There is a tremendous amount of snow for late April. It's depressing coming home from snow cover to green grass. Summer can suck it.

Lets play find the bare spot:

MS (Medium).JPG

Yeah it's obscene looking at the late season snow cover all over.  I mean literally nothing has melted yet.

Great day at Wildcat. Guessing I took in vicinity of 30+ runs which would put me at 60K feet of vertical. Got on lift at 8:30 and skied groomers until things softened around 11:30ish. From then on, it was skiing bumps. Finished at 3:58. Pretty much the whole mountain was open with some sections of trails closed due to ice. Lower trails that don't have snowmaking showing some bare spots but some of that is a function of traffic funneling due to natural features...boulders. Parking lot was jammed packed. Told that the Saturday crowd was just as large. Can't seem to upload any pics but Washington is loaded with snow. After next weekend, word is they will open one day in May to claim May skiing and that will be it.

Amazing weekend at Killington!  The crowd that showed up was close to the size of a mid winter weekend but with far fewer base areas and parking lots.  With 4 lifts servicing an enormous amount of open terrain the trails and glades were not crowded and the lift lines were manageable. Parking was at a premium and many folks got a good warm up hiking to get up into the basin.  The weather was beautiful with blue sky and slowly softening snow.  The most amazing is how good the snow cover is.  Simply epic skiing!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Skivt2 said:

Amazing weekend at Killington!  The crowd that showed up was close to the size of a mid winter weekend but with far fewer base areas and parking lots.  With 4 lifts servicing an enormous amount of open terrain the trails and glades were not crowded and the lift lines were manageable. Parking was at a premium and many folks got a good warm up hiking to get up into the basin.  The weather was beautiful with blue sky and slowly softening snow.  The most amazing is how good the snow cover is.  Simply epic skiing!

Who knew so many locals are still skiing?

10 hours ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

Who knew so many locals are still skiing?

It certainly all came together last weekend.  Perfect storm of the very FIRST spring skiing and riding of the entire season (aside from February, lol) following a week of several snow/wintry events.  Places like Stowe and Smuggs missed out because weekends like that don't come together very often. 

Just make one of Saturday or Sunday overcast, even with the same temperatures and snow, and we'd see just how important sunshine is this time of year.  The sun shining probably resulted in the difference of THOUSANDS of skiers at Killington.   It's crazy to me how that happens, when it all lines up there are so many factors that can come together to produce a huge weekend.