joxey
The 2017-18 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

• Replies 818
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Whineminster said:

Man people love Berkshire East on here

I have skied basically all of New England, if you want a nice day trip midweek with zero crowds, ski on every lift with lots of old school New England trails can't beat it. cheap and certainly a days worth of fun. Once you know all the interconnects and how to navigate around its a ball. Mini Wildcat, Mini Sunday River for old school trails, just has that feel of a good time. No fancy shrills just skiing.

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

I have skied basically all of New England, if you want a nice day trip midweek with zero crowds, ski on every lift with lots of old school New England trails can't beat it. cheap and certainly a days worth of fun. Once you know all the interconnects and how to navigate around its a ball. Mini Wildcat, Mini Sunday River for old school trails, just has that feel of a good time. No fancy shrills just skiing.

I'd say Catamount comes in second after Berkshire East. That place has a few nice slopes and challenging black runs.

2 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

It would take me just as long to get there as it would up to Waterville Valley.  2-1/2hrs each way.

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

with 1/10th the crowd at 1/2 the price

I would argue that Waterville does offer much more terrain, and the steepest trails there are more challenging (although not very), better lifts, better base lodge, etc.

But yeah...cost and crowds would lure me to B'East most of the time, even if they were equidistant.  

I was surprised as to how much I enjoyed Crotched a couple of weeks ago.  Another small, cheap mountain that packs a punch

I'm back at home now after skiing 8 runs at Berkshire East. The last two runs where like skiing on butter. Nice soft snow, but mushy at the base with lots of brown snow.

They want to ski until April 8th, but I'm not sure if there will be enough snow at the base.Thunder/Bolt has deep snow as does Big Chief and Competition. Outback is down to base ice in a few places. The place was deserted when I left at 1pm.

10 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I would argue that Waterville does offer much more terrain, and the steepest trails there are more challenging (although not very), better lifts, better base lodge, etc.

But yeah...cost and crowds would lure me to B'East most of the time, even if they were equidistant.  

I was surprised as to how much I enjoyed Crotched a couple of weeks ago.  Another small, cheap mountain that packs a punch

Would have to respectfully disagree on the bold unless you aren't counting the wooded "trails" Beast, East Glade, and Tomahawk.  As for the other trails, the owners of Berkshire East definitely seem to favor racing and have an aversion to letting the place get too bumped up.  That makes things a bit easier to our chagrin.

45 minutes ago, radarman said:

Would have to respectfully disagree on the bold unless you aren't counting the wooded "trails" Beast, East Glade, and Tomahawk.  As for the other trails, the owners of Berkshire East definitely seem to favor racing and have an aversion to letting the place get too bumped up.  That makes things a bit easier to our chagrin.

Yeah. I just meant the nongladed.   

I can’t do trees.  My noggin isn’t built for that

1 hour ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

I'm back at home now after skiing 8 runs at Berkshire East. The last two runs where like skiing on butter. Nice soft snow, but mushy at the base with lots of brown snow.

They want to ski until April 8th, but I'm not sure if there will be enough snow at the base.Thunder/Bolt has deep snow as does Big Chief and Competition. Outback is down to base ice in a few places. The place was deserted when I left at 1pm.

They might get 2 refreshers before the 8th

1 hour ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Crotched rocks too, I have a fondness for those places that are out of the main fray. IDK, I never want to ski in crowds ever again and have as much fun at the smaller hills as the massive ones. I seriously did not have to wait in a lift line for my week, if there was a line it was one chair as those wonky snowboarders loaded.

2 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Crotched rocks too, I have a fondness for those places that are out of the main fray. IDK, I never want to ski in crowds ever again and have as much fun at the smaller hills as the massive ones. I seriously did not have to wait in a lift line for my week, if there was a line it was one chair as those wonky snowboarders loaded.

For the record not every snow boarder is a kook. But I agree beginner snow boarders are a bad look for everyone. Nothing worse then somone snow plowing toe side the whole way down a steep. 

To be honest tried snowboarding once at okemo took a short lesson stuck to the short chair never got the hang of it and it was a disaster on my part trying to get on the lifts ripped that off after a few runs back to twin blades and never looked back. Just wasn't for me but looks fun and friends that do it love it too each their own!

10 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

That can be found at most ski areas mid-week, large and small.  The trick is what the weekends look like.

I think it's the old school vibe and there's something satisfying about having fun on a small hill.  Sliding on snow is sliding on snow, whether its on a huge mountain face that runs thousands of vertical feet or a tilted farmers field.  There's a time and place for all types.

2 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

For the record not every snow boarder is a kook. But I agree beginner snow boarders are a bad look for everyone. Nothing worse then somone snow plowing toe side the whole way down a steep. 

Scrapers mogul packers you all suck, just kidding 

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

That can be found at most ski areas mid-week, large and small.  The trick is what the weekends look like.

I think it's the old school vibe and there's something satisfying about having fun on a small hill.  Sliding on snow is sliding on snow, whether its on a huge mountain face that runs thousands of vertical feet or a tilted farmers field.  There's a time and place for all types.

Oh I know the midweek non vacation week stuff very well was speaking to a SNEr about day trips

For me Butternut, Catamount, Bosquet, Otis and Berkshire East are all under 1 1/2 hours away. I'll generally go where the best midweek lift ticket deal's are. 

I rarely ski Sundown because they don't offer any lift ticket deals. Mohawk does, but it's a PITA to get too and not worth the driving time.

It's all scraping unless you're carving, regardless of skis or snowboards. Of course, just about all snowboarders scrape. Can't say the same for skiers.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

lol wonky snowboarders.....is that skier vs rider angst still a thing?  I was an avid skier and converted in 1994 when my buddy refused to let me bring my skis on one our many trips up the hill to Lake Tahoe......since that trip I have skied once.....one time in 24 years lol.....for me I reached a certain point skiing and never got better.....I was bored and every trip was the same....I took to the board relatively quickly....by day 2 I was linking turns......I have gone through many phases of riding styles from fast to doing tricks in the park to carving long wide medium speed turns.....currently my favorite mode is the latter.....the long medium speed carve on a board is like nothing else.....its graceful and smooth and effortless when done right and thats the feeling that brings me back even now at 45......this season we introduced the childrens to alpine sports.....my wife being a skier and me a snowboarder we decided to just let them choose....they both chose to ride....I was pumped.....they took first lesson at Mt Rose in Nevada the weekend after Thanksgiving when we went west for the holiday.....since returning we have hit the local CT mountains 5 times and we are looking to go one more somewhere......they have progressed very well and every trip has been immensely enjoyable......they are linking turns and getting themselves down the mountain better than I ever had expected......

I have tried my best to teach them proper etiquette on the mountain and where its best to strap up......how you have to know your surroundings and respect everybody on the mountain regardless of mode......they've done well.....

Since getting back in to the swing of things this year I have noticed that there doesn't seem to be the level of angst there used to be when I started......I have had my fair share of angry skiers....I once was told to GFM cuz I was a little too close to the line while I put my board on......I told him to GFH lol....I was younger

6 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

lol its not a "bad look" its just the skill level on display.....give them a break.....and while I have tried to emphasize linking turns as much as possible the snowplowing technique is a backup when you find yourself on something a bit too daunting.....I have taught the kids that as well.....my daughter used it flawlessly on a couple spots at Mohawk.....

6 hours ago, geo1 said:

To be honest tried snowboarding once at okemo took a short lesson stuck to the short chair never got the hang of it and it was a disaster on my part trying to get on the lifts ripped that off after a few runs back to twin blades and never looked back. Just wasn't for me but looks fun and friends that do it love it too each their own!

How long did you force yourself to ride?  You generally need like at least 3 to 6 trips to get to a point where its not disastrous......

3 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Scrapers mogul packers you all suck, just kidding 

Myth.....that was the general thought and fear back when riders started showing up at resorts......its why many resorts refused to let them in at first......but skiers scrape as much as riders do......we know that now....

1 hour ago, Professional Lurker said:

It's all scraping unless you're carving, regardless of skis or snowboards. Of course, just about all snowboarders scrape. Can't say the same for skiers.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

You can't do a real carve unless you have sufficient speed.....most skiers/riders scrape most of the time......skier scrape is more subtle depending on speed but since theres more skiers than riders the perception can be that skiers don't scrape as much......I think its the same fraction regardless......

Trying to get somewhere one more time so the kids can ride their boards one more time before the season is cooked.....guess we gotta head to VT probably now.....since it was the kids first year we had stuck to local CT places which worked out very well.....they loved Mohawk.....for this 24 year rider Mohawk was painful though I will admit.....anyway.....any places in Mass still open?  Wachusett?  Ive been there a few years ago....

6 hours ago, ice1972 said:

You can't do a real carve unless you have sufficient speed.....most skiers/riders scrape most of the time......skier scrape is more subtle depending on speed but since theres more skiers than riders the perception can be that skiers don't scrape as much......I think its the same fraction regardless......any places in Mass still open?  Wachusett?

Wonky dude they have this new invention, the internet and google , just look up ski reports

Archived