joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The 2017-18 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

• Replies 818
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Local nordic center - Great Brook - still hanging in there. Staff is out building a few snow bridges in bare spots but skiing and coverage overall quite good. Season approaching 40 days which is crazy given bare ground during long stretch of winter. 

43 minutes ago, Albert A Clipper said:

Hmm..was thinking Bolton tomorrow for subaru day, but the timberline chair is down, any discounts for Stowe at local businesses that you know of? Don't want to pay window rates for 6 ppl.

Thx. 

Unfortunately I've got nothing for you on short notice.  We are set up that there are discount options if you plan ahead but for game-time decisions it's the window walk up rate.  Bolton has the same snow conditions so great option.

Doing Sunday River this Saturday...pretty pumped as it will only be my second time out this year. Other was the ski GTG at Beast which was a great day. This Saturday should also have premium conditions. Tons of snow in the woods and chalky PP bases.

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

Doing Sunday River this Saturday...pretty pumped as it will only be my second time out this year. Other was the ski GTG at Beast which was a great day. This Saturday should also have premium conditions. Tons of snow in the woods and chalky PP bases.

126 miles in 4 days of pure bliss. SR takes excellent care of this place and the upgrades at the condo and  pool are fantastic

Hey guys, was wondering if you had any advice. 

First off, went skiing two weekends ago at Plattekill NY and conditions were exellent. Last weekend I skied Magic on Saturday and Okemo on Sunday.. and conditions were even better!  

Now I'm spoiled rotten... 

Now for this weekend.. I'd like to hit Killington, or even Plattekill or Belleayre.. but my concern is that though they all got 6++ feet within the last few weeks, the most recent snow would be 9 days old. Do you think the snow would be somewhat skied off at say Killington? 

Another option is .. was thinking of hitting Blue Mtn in PA (near Allentown). The got 10" from yesterdays nor'easter, but more importantly, they have a low elevation, and temps are expected to be in the low 40s both saturday and Sunday.. so should be nice spring skiing there and not ice issues...

What's better, 9 day old snow/packed powder., or Blue Bird Spring Skiing? 

Thanks in advance. 

-Jason

Ugh...guidance is trying to show a cutter for 3/30ish now. Hopefully its a little more SE like OP GFS today.

The conditions are so good, it would kind of suck to take a cutter blow. Hopefully it's not a big deal and places can enjoy deep bases well into mid/late April.

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

Ugh...guidance is trying to show a cutter for 3/30ish now. Hopefully its a little more SE like OP GFS today.

The conditions are so good, it would kind of suck to take a cutter blow. Hopefully it's not a big deal and places can enjoy deep bases well into mid/late April.

I doubt it's going anywhere anytime soon.... but yeah a cutter has to happen at some point.  This is a longer rain free stretch than anytime in Jan/Feb lol.

Often wondered how accurate the ski tracker app is. Kept it on all week and then double checked on Google maps. Very accurate,  even picked up on the 35 degree slope headwall on White Heat at SR. Logged 145 miles of skiing 138 runs top speed 40.1 . Literally ski on lifts all week. Top 3 conditions  week out of the 30 years I have been up there this week.

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

Often wondered how accurate the ski tracker app is. Kept it on all week and then double checked on Google maps. Very accurate,  even picked up on the 35 degree slope headwall on White Heat at SR. Logged 145 miles of skiing 138 runs top speed 40.1 . Literally ski on lifts all week. Top 3 conditions  week out of the 30 years I have been up there this week.

Those apps are pretty accurate with distance and vertical feet.   The max speeds are bit more unsure but we've looked at the various apps in depth and the vertical feet and mileage is actually pretty solid compared to actual.  Certainly close enough to use.

What a week to be skiing in NNE... I mean really.  A week of snow followed by almost a week of sunshine with a few cloudy periods here and there.

30 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Spent yesterday morning skiing with Tim (TK) and as usual had a blast.  Always a fun dude to rip around with and talk shop.  We did some fast top-to-bottom runs so he could get rid of his frustrations on the busted Boston snow forecast this past storm.

Sunshine-great-snow-and-over-40-miles-of

I never realized how tall a dude he is until I met him at the Blizzard of 78 thing.  

Looks great there

Is white heat the steepest at SR? Skied down quantum leap yesterday and looking back from the bottom appears steeper

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I never realized how tall a dude he is until I met him at the Blizzard of 78 thing.  

Looks great there

Yeah, we were both commenting on that in the trees.  The snowpack is so high in some areas that the trees aren't trimmed high enough.  Us tall guys end up hitting the branches above.  Not the worst problem to have though.

TK does know how to smile for the camera though, that's for sure.  I love when the mountain is filled in like this... so much fun.  Chalky and everything is covered nicely.  Great for exploring.

OyYC6NA.jpg

1 hour ago, Lava Rock said:

Is white heat the steepest at SR? Skied down quantum leap yesterday and looking back from the bottom appears steeper

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Wasn't that sweet all groomed out. Did a couple of trips down it. Last time I did it in 14 it was icy moguls, not fun. White Heat is steeper at the head wall QL has a longer steep. Vortex was my favorite run

6 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

How’s the pack on Mansfield compared to normal? Fire up that graphic. 

Not bad.  Can see the 69" in 10 days though led to a nice 50"+ increase in depth there.  It's settling out with these sunny days though.

Oddly enough for two years in a row there have been short periods of massive snowpack gain on pretty much the same dates.  Last March was the 52" in 72 hours blitz, along with some other snows in that time period.

IMG_9010.thumb.PNG.892fce5bd9eb9303b1fdd61bdceaec50.PNG

Archived