Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The 2017-18 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

10 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Nice pics. Full on winter and it's going nowhere anytime soon. Megan and I are thinking of sneaking up to Sunday river on the 24th while we have grandma watch the little one...good chance we will have mid-winter conditions just like 2014 was in late March. I love when the whole mountain is buried and yet you don't have mid-winter lines. 

Definitely go for it if you can and thank you!

• Replies 818
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was really bummed out to read that the Australian investors who bought saddleback mountain don't care if the ski resort never opens again.

I wonder what their plans for the area are? It's not built up yet? Maybe they are going to build a lodge or resort in the Rangely lakes region?

26 minutes ago, #NoPoles said:

I was really bummed out to read that the Australian investors who bought saddleback mountain don't care if the ski resort never opens again.

I wonder what their plans for the area are? It's not built up yet? Maybe they are going to build a lodge or resort in the Rangely lakes region?

This may be true, but it's also possible that the quotes on the news story were cherry picked to give the worst possible slant. Chris Farmer (Farmboy), who is associated with the current owners and is involved in the negotiations posted a response on a 'Loaf discussion thread. The fact that he is still committed to the sale gives me at least a little hope. Regardless, the optics are horrible, and have been for months.

Link: http://www.sugarloaftoday.com/chat/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=8317&sid=84172090e177f77937a069e2f9d84cca&start=210

29 minutes ago, uncletim said:

This may be true, but it's also possible that the quotes on the news story were cherry picked to give the worst possible slant. Chris Farmer (Farmboy), who is associated with the current owners and is involved in the negotiations posted a response on a 'Loaf discussion thread. The fact that he is still committed to the sale gives me at least a little hope. Regardless, the optics are horrible, and have been for months.

Link: http://www.sugarloaftoday.com/chat/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=8317&sid=84172090e177f77937a069e2f9d84cca&start=210

The entire situation is a disaster. My gut feeling is that resurrecting Saddleback is a no-go. If they don't even have the funds to pay employees...well, the only place to go from there is down...

Such a beautiful mountain and a beautiful area

46 minutes ago, #NoPoles said:

The entire situation is a disaster. My gut feeling is that resurrecting Saddleback is a no-go. If they don't even have the funds to pay employees...well, the only place to go from there is down...

Such a beautiful mountain and a beautiful area

All very true. Even assuming Majella is on the level, it's hard to see how they pull it off.

Kind of funny how much the west coast has been slammed too during this prolific period for the east...sometimes you see a yin-yang relationship, but not this month. Alpine Meadows at the base has had 12 feet of snow in the past 17 days and they are getting at least another foot today before the current storm finally winds down...and then another system looks to slam them next week. They were having a horrible season until the past 3 weeks.

17 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Nice pics. Full on winter and it's going nowhere anytime soon. Megan and I are thinking of sneaking up to Sunday river on the 24th while we have grandma watch the little one...good chance we will have mid-winter conditions just like 2014 was in late March. I love when the whole mountain is buried and yet you don't have mid-winter lines. 

Lol you guys did the same in 14, day  I left

Crazy amount of snow not far away from me up at mt snow. Heading west on 9 from bratt, it didn't take long for the depth to increase. A few miles from hogback and the snowbanks were higher than my expedition. Up at the summit, even with the wind howling, the trees, were caked in a combination of snow and rime. Saw several people stuck in chest deep snow off piste.

Fun day, but will feel it tomorrow in my knee. ...au revoir skis. See you next December.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Skied Widcat yesterday. Mountain open 100% with place bumped up top to bottom. Big crowd for $17 special. A couple of main slopes - lift lion and top cat -  wind scoured and unskiable which was unfortunate...focused traffic onto just a couple of routes off summit. Good day. 

On 3/16/2018 at 10:30 AM, ORH_wxman said:

Kind of funny how much the west coast has been slammed too during this prolific period for the east...sometimes you see a yin-yang relationship, but not this month. Alpine Meadows at the base has had 12 feet of snow in the past 17 days and they are getting at least another foot today before the current storm finally winds down...and then another system looks to slam them next week. They were having a horrible season until the past 3 weeks.

Ha yeah, see I'm sitting here all stoked on 44" at my snowstake in 4 days....

Then I see this on social media where Squaw Valley got 40" in 24 hours :lol:

29262099_1679827452105388_52493795525342

2 hours ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

Mammoth ytd snowfall 329"

Jay Peak ytd snowfall 356"

Mt Snow is closing in on 200" for the season.

Be interested to hear @adks thoughts on the Jay total? Ha... they visited last week on a day when Jay reported 10-12" overnight only to find 3" to maybe 5".  Even the video Jay posted looked like 4" from that day, anyone can spray snow but if you aren't turning and your bindings aren't covered...

A few of the Lyndon State interns that came to Stowe had some interesting things to say about the Jay snow totals, despite working and skiing there.

We always thought it would be a little High but there have been some very questionable observations this year.  They certainly get the most snowfall but is it 100+ inches more than 20 miles south? Hard to say.

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Be interested to hear @adks thoughts on the Jay total? Ha... they visited last week on a day when Jay reported 10-12" overnight only to find 3" to maybe 5".  Even the video Jay posted looked like 4" from that day, anyone can spray snow but if you aren't turning and your bindings aren't covered...

A few of the Lyndon State interns that came to Stowe had some interesting things to say about the Jay snow totals, despite working and skiing there.

We always thought it would be a little High but there have been some very questionable observations this year.  They certainly get the most snowfall but is it 100+ inches more than 20 miles south? Hard to say.

I'm not a complete expert on upslope but having to deal with plenty of terrain influences down here I can say I would highly doubt they get that much more than a place like Stowe. The advantages for both places are pretty similar. Jay is a little better but not as much as we should believe if we took their snowfall numbers as face value. 

Ive always made the comment wondering why Jay feels the need to inflate their totals when they are already the best spot. 

Unfortunate wind holds corresponded with another huge crowd at Stratton today. Only one lift going to the summit was brutal. Over an hour wait almost ruined some of the best conditions of the winter. Almost because it was still sooo sooo good. All the snow is packed down now and staying firm despite high volume. I definitly clocked some of my fastest runs ever today!!!

1 hour ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Unfortunate wind holds corresponded with another huge crowd at Stratton today. Only one lift going to the summit was brutal. Over an hour wait almost ruined some of the best conditions of the winter. Almost because it was still sooo sooo good. All the snow is packed down now and staying firm despite high volume. I definitly clocked some of my fastest runs ever today!!!

Hour wait geezus I would die. 

I drove to Ragged Friday, saw people loading the 6-pack loading and spear empty and stopped.  Geared up and walked up to the lift to find they were in the process of clearing everyone off to close it for wind.  Turned around and went home :(

6 hours ago, powderfreak said:

I feel like we’ve had this discussion once a year for the past 3 seasons on this forum. lol.

it seems to be a common issue with that place.

At best, it’s somebody sticking a ruler in a drift or something, at worst it’s flat out lying to the skiing public.

Ill tell you what, if they reported 15” new and I made a day trip there only to find out they got like 5”... Id be demanding my money back.

10 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Ill tell you what, if they reported 15” new and I made a day trip there only to find out they got like 5”... Id be demanding my money back.

I was there on the day I think was mentioned (last Sunday) and nobody was demanding their money back.  Inflated the overnight totals somewhat but it was very windy and hard to measure.  Then it dumped the entire day.  Was really good regardless, plus they do BOGO gas vouchers even on weekends and my wife skied free... 85 dollars off buys you an indulgence for slantsticking.

9 hours ago, radarman said:

I was there on the day I think was mentioned (last Sunday) and nobody was demanding their money back.  Inflated the overnight totals somewhat but it was very windy and hard to measure.  Then it dumped the entire day.  Was really good regardless, plus they do BOGO gas vouchers even on weekends and my wife skied free... 85 dollars off buys you an indulgence for slantsticking.

I dunno... Mansfield is a very windy mountain too and we seem to not really have an issue.  Guess it just depends on how much effort you want to put into it.  I know @adk brought up a good point and if I reported 10-12" overnight you know it.  It's healthy boot deep snow and even with high winds you don't' have to go looking to find those amounts.  I mean a foot of snow overnight at a ski area even with winds is pretty obvious as it's a good amount of snow.  It just makes everyone look bad when some go through great lengths to get accurate totals for their skiers/riders.  But Jay seems to make it work.  Just when you get as much snow as the northern Greens, why do you have have snow reports that say "We got 8 inches overnight but good luck finding it as the winds are howling."  I feel like I'd be crucified at The Stake if I told our locals that it snowed 8" that you will have trouble finding.  Or reported 10-12" when it appeared 3-5" fell.   Like can you imagine MRG pulling something like that too?  But I guess it works for them.

Archived