Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The 2017-18 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

• Replies 818
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

34” at Stratton which they are claiming is the all time 24 hour record.

its currently the best day I have ever ridden on the east coast. I cannot describe this in words.

i did get stuck up to my shoulders and my buddy took a pic of me but I’m having trouble uploading it

Awesome,  lol you have to post the pic, delete some old attachments

Jeremy Davis, the author of The Lost Ski Resorts of New England is going to be at Tenney on Sunday. We went to Lyndon State together. He invited me to join him Sunday. I'm thinking about heading up. Anyone think they might be able to get to Tenney on Sunday?

4 hours ago, bch2014 said:

Got second chair at Mt Snow this AM and posting from chairlift...

Tons of snow here. Anything ungroomed on the Main Face is unskiable due to flatness. North Face pretty good with pow bumps but lots of terrible skiers.

Groomers are buttery though.

Interesting.  Yesterday the quality of skiing at the North Face was insanely high.  It seemed 80% of the skiers had perfect powder and zipper-line mogul technique.

Where should I go tomorrow?  Mt. Snow, Bromley, Stratton or Magic?  I can get discounted tickets to Mt. Snow, Bromley and Stratton.  Magic stopped selling tickets today to limit lift lines to 30 minutes!  Where do you think line will be shortest?  I figured Sunday lines are bound to be shorter than Saturday?  Any advice is much appreciated!  I'm also probably skiing solo if anyone wants to meet up?

2 hours ago, snowgeek said:

Where should I go tomorrow?  Mt. Snow, Bromley, Stratton or Magic?  I can get discounted tickets to Mt. Snow, Bromley and Stratton.  Magic stopped selling tickets today to limit lift lines to 30 minutes!  Where do you think line will be shortest?  I figured Sunday lines are bound to be shorter than Saturday?  Any advice is much appreciated!  I'm also probably skiing solo if anyone wants to meet up?

If there not shorter then today I’ll loose it. 1 hour gondola lines at Stratton. I would avoid magic, the powder is kicked so it will not be in top form. Stratton has some of the best grooming in the industry so I would always recommend it. Today was just a zoo and mogul fest. After two days of being packed down, after being groomed it should be amazing tomorrow morning!!!

If there not shorter then today I’ll loose it. 1 hour gondola lines at Stratton. I would avoid magic, the powder is kicked so it will not be in top form. Stratton has some of the best grooming in the industry so I would always recommend it. Today was just a zoo and mogul fest. After two days of being packed down, after being groomed it should be amazing tomorrow morning!!!

1 hour line?!? Yikes!!! Does Bromley usually have shorter lines?

1 hour ago, snowgeek said:

1 hour line?!? Yikes!!! Does Bromley usually have shorter lines?

I think everywhere in southern Vermont had record crowds today. I just found out Stratton broke theirs. Record snow will do that! Best bet is to get on it super early then take an early lunch and get back out when everyone else does. Sunday afternoons are usually pretty empty, but who knows tomorrow 

Skied Bromley today.  What a great medium sized mountain.  Conditions were fabulous!.  Nice variety of groomed and ungroomed.  Nice bumps, nice glades.  Longest lift line was 3 minutes!!  Very friendly and respectful crowd.  Very family oriented.  And I got there in 1 hour 20 minutes.  Can't beat that!

4 minutes ago, snowgeek said:

Skied Bromley today.  What a great medium sized mountain.  Conditions were fabulous!.  Nice variety of groomed and ungroomed.  Nice bumps, nice glades.  Longest lift line was 3 minutes!!  Very friendly and respectful crowd.  Very family oriented.  And I got there in 1 hour 20 minutes.  Can't beat that!

Have you ever been to Royal?

Small, very family friendly, very reasonable prices.

We skied there today, never waited more than 2 minutes for a lift.  Lots of nicely groomed powder.

4th straight day of nordic at Great Brook in Carlisle. Things were very soft and getting thin when I left about 2ish. They will be fine probably until their closing date (20th) if this storm happens. The crew that works at the touring center went above and beyond clearing the trails post-storm - large limbs & branches littered any trail with a tree canopy. Got myself a wildcat $17 ticket for Friday St. Patty's - should be great. 

20 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Putting this here too

that crown is no joke

got first tram at Jay this morning and there was some wind slab, but I didn't observe much evidence of fracturing.  Granted I was taking it pretty easy.  Surfaces were stellar, woods quite good, 10+" of winter snow. Base depths remain kind of meh, so no need to push it.  All in all excellent skiing.

15 hours ago, Albert A Clipper said:

Groomed powder? wtf? 

I'm sorry if my post jolted you in such a way that you needed to respond with the F word.

I think my comment was innocuous.

It snowed.  Dry powder snow.  They went over it with a groomer and it skied really nicely the following day.

I believe the industry term is MGPP.

On ‎3‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 1:12 AM, radarman said:

3 nights in Rossland.  

49 N is like a huge, awesome, snowy Berkshire East with 1800' vert.  It's not well known, but if folks want a downhome place with world class tree skiing and cheap tix it's an easy and pretty drive from Spokane.  It's a dream home mt.

Red has some real steeps.  Over 90% of the mtn was ungroomed and covered in powder and cut powder.   Took the cat to Kirkup twice.  Special place.

Schweitzer was super good too.  Lightest snow of the 3, fast lifts.  Ridgeline offers a slew of options, boundaries in play.

The 3 are all buried...  Other than maybe Whitefish I don't know that anyone has more base in the conus right now.  Easy loop to pull off from Spokane and tix are not as expensive as some places.

post-2-0-21728500-1520305001.thumb.jpg.1bd274d29abc7a66e8c8201734e3a004.jpg

post-2-0-15878400-1520305643.thumb.jpg.92cec5bd8923aa8ce9a87454f01b842e.jpg\

red_steep.thumb.jpg.61ed0c4555c68eb463b42b7f5f8c6f5d.jpg

Those studs look familiar.

Archived