Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The 2017-18 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

11 hours ago, Hitman said:

Skied plattekill yesterday.   2-3’ Of dense silky cream cheese.  It was somewhat wind blown and drifted but not as bad as anticipated considering the winds.  While the skiing was good, the mtn operations were a **** show.  Hunter and bellayre had no power and were closed.  Platty communication was down so cash only.  Took my son almost an hour to get a lift ticket.

We skied Platty today.

We heard about what happened yesterday and it's really unfortunate.

Today was spectacular.  Powder galore.  We waited two minutes or less for each lift.

2 hours ago, radarman said:

Skied Schweitzer Thurs, 49 N on Fri, and Red Mt. the last two days.  Every day was pure bliss, just a ton of snow and great terrain.  If anyone is looking to make a late season ski trip would strongly advise this general area.

I skied red for the first time the week before last after whitewater.  Red is big with a ton of groomers and some nice woods.  Liked it a lot.  Whitewater is more like mad river glen to red’s sugarbush, but gets more snow.  Did u stay in Rossland?

On 3/4/2018 at 10:13 PM, Hitman said:

I skied red for the first time the week before last after whitewater.  Red is big with a ton of groomers and some nice woods.  Liked it a lot.  Whitewater is more like mad river glen to red’s sugarbush, but gets more snow.  Did u stay in Rossland?

3 nights in Rossland.  

49 N is like a huge, awesome, snowy Berkshire East with 1800' vert.  It's not well known, but if folks want a downhome place with world class tree skiing and cheap tix it's an easy and pretty drive from Spokane.  It's a dream home mt.

Red has some real steeps.  Over 90% of the mtn was ungroomed and covered in powder and cut powder.   Took the cat to Kirkup twice.  Special place.

Schweitzer was super good too.  Lightest snow of the 3, fast lifts.  Ridgeline offers a slew of options, boundaries in play.

The 3 are all buried...  Other than maybe Whitefish I don't know that anyone has more base in the conus right now.  Easy loop to pull off from Spokane and tix are not as expensive as some places.

post-2-0-21728500-1520305001.thumb.jpg.1bd274d29abc7a66e8c8201734e3a004.jpg

post-2-0-15878400-1520305643.thumb.jpg.92cec5bd8923aa8ce9a87454f01b842e.jpg\

red_steep.thumb.jpg.61ed0c4555c68eb463b42b7f5f8c6f5d.jpg

• Like 1

Skied at Mt. Snow today. Coverage is adequate with essentially the entire mountain open.  Ice and dirt in troughs of bumps and brush and logs in the woods with a fair amount of ice lurking under anything steep. With that said, had a lot of fun skiing primarily sticking to the north side of mountain. Skied until the lifts stopped.

Mt Snow crushed

Good Morning Skiers & Riders!

27 inches, and still coming down!! Powder day, Powder day, Powder day! This is easily the most snow I’ve ever seen, with it coming up to my waist in some areas! Mount Snow hasn't seen this much snow in a 24 hour period since 2012, when we got 17 inches. Today, we're rocking 10 more than that! We expect to receive a couple more inches throughout the day today. This is going to be an unreal day of skiing and riding, I hope you called out, because this is going to be GOOD.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, subdude said:

Mt Snow crushed

Good Morning Skiers & Riders!

27 inches, and still coming down!! Powder day, Powder day, Powder day! This is easily the most snow I’ve ever seen, with it coming up to my waist in some areas! Mount Snow hasn't seen this much snow in a 24 hour period since 2012, when we got 17 inches. Today, we're rocking 10 more than that! We expect to receive a couple more inches throughout the day today. This is going to be an unreal day of skiing and riding, I hope you called out, because this is going to be GOOD.

Woodford with 36” so it’s possible mt snow, Stratton, bromely and magic got even more then reported. Plus it’s been snowing fairly hard since the early morning reports.

what a day for magic if there ever was one. Headed up tonight, to say I’m stoked is an understatement 

Some of the pictures from Magic this morning look awesome. Crazy, even after last weeks storm they were advising "rock skis." Good for them, they deserve it. Saw a picture on Mt. Snow's website of someone at the summit with snow (drifted I assume) to their chest. Over in NH, Cannon is reporting 5"; Bretton Woods 5-10" and Wildcat 14-16". No downhill for me this weekend but will be on the nordic skis close to home.

Tenney Mtn officially reopened today since the Mtn closed abruptly on this day in 2010. Mike has done a great job of bring this little Mtn back to life. They open today to finish out the 2010 season! What a great way to open! I hope we can have a ski g2g here. Then I could get to meet some of the CNE posters and maybe some NNE peeps as well?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, #NoPoles said:

Tenney Mtn officially reopened today since the Mtn closed abruptly on this day in 2010. Mike has done a great job of bring this little Mtn back to life. They open today to finish out the 2010 season! What a great way to open! I hope we can have a ski g2g here. Then I could get to meet some of the CNE posters and maybe some NNE peeps as well?

Heh, you can really get to know someone on that summit lift ride, it's a long one.  I'm thinking about checking it out tomorrow.

• Like 1

I’ll be heading up to either Magic or Mt. Snow tomorrow. Anyone have an opinion between the two. Heard magic is cool but don’t know much about it...

could either PF or ORH_wxman comment on the upslope potential through Sunday night. The 3k nam has been consistently barking another 1-2” feet over the next 3 days. Last 4 runs haven’t changed much... What do you think guys? 

1 hour ago, PivotPoint said:

I’ll be heading up to either Magic or Mt. Snow tomorrow. Anyone have an opinion between the two. Heard magic is cool but don’t know much about it...

could either PF or ORH_wxman comment on the upslope potential through Sunday night. The 3k nam has been consistently barking another 1-2” feet over the next 3 days. Last 4 runs haven’t changed much... What do you think guys? 

Magic is a throwback with older fixed lifts and a bunch of glades and ungroomed runs.  If you are a relatively strong skier you should check it out.  There are some that are groomed also, but if that is your thing, definitely head to Mt. Snow.  Mt. Snow is your modern resort with high speed lifts including a bubble 6-pack and wide groomed runs, terrain parks, etc.  The main face has more blues than you can hit in a day and there is a good expert pod on the north face.

17 minutes ago, bobbutts said:

Magic is a throwback with older fixed lifts and a bunch of glades and ungroomed runs.  If you are a relatively strong skier you should check it out.  There are some that are groomed also, but if that is your thing, definitely head to Mt. Snow.  Mt. Snow is your modern resort with high speed lifts including a bubble 6-pack and wide groomed runs, terrain parks, etc.  The main face has more blues than you can hit in a day and there is a good expert pod on the north face.

Good tips! Thank you

Im a  pretty strong skier so magic seems like the place for me. Do you think though since it’s a small resort with limited terrain that they could’ve gotten skied out today? Also, my girlfriend is OK but doesn’t like the trees. If we decided to go Mount Snow is there steep stuff there for me? Thanks again! 

20 minutes ago, PivotPoint said:

Good tips! Thank you

Im a  pretty strong skier so magic seems like the place for me. Do you think though since it’s a small resort with limited terrain that they could’ve gotten skied out today? Also, my girlfriend is OK but doesn’t like the trees. If we decided to go Mount Snow is there steep stuff there for me? Thanks again! 

I don't know really about how much will be left at magic, haven't been in a few years, untracked is hard to come in the east by if you aren't first chair or during the storm.  Uphill capacity vs. amount of terrain means it will be less beaten up than most places though.  Mt. Snow has an entire pod of expert runs on their North face, plenty to keep you busy for a day trip.

22 minutes ago, PivotPoint said:

Good tips! Thank you

Mount Snow has plenty of steep stuff on the North Face.

Ripcord is one of the steeper trails in the east and trails like Chute, Jaws, etc. are lots of fun... Not to mention trails like Beartrap elsewhere on the mountain. 

Magic is fun too and is a bit more “rough around the edges” but the reason I’ll be at Mt. Snow is that because of lift lines at Magic. 

Can’t go wrong though!

Skied 30+ inches at Mount Snow today.  Phenomenal.

Woods were amazing! Virtually obstacle free (except for the trees, of course).  One of those rare days when you can just charge right down all the steepest stuff.  I skied Ripcord without hitting bottom, which hardly ever happens.

Much of the front face is still untouched. Anyone who attempted to ski the untracked powder on the gentler pitches of the main face just got trapped.

For PivotPoint, the advice you've gotten is good.  Magic, though, is really in its own league in S VT in terms of steepness.   There is nothing else like it south of Killington.  Rip Cord at Mount Snow does have one truly steep pitch, but it's very short and usually glacial.  The other North Face slopes are fun for advanced skiers, but no where near as challenging as much of the Magic trails.

28 minutes ago, bobbutts said:

I don't know really about how much will be left at magic, haven't been in a few years, untracked is hard to come in the east by if you aren't first chair or during the storm.  Uphill capacity vs. amount of terrain means it will be less beaten up than most places though.  Mt. Snow has an entire pod of expert runs on their North face, plenty to keep you busy for a day trip.

Was at Magic today and it was all time. However with that came the biggest non weekend crowd I have ever seen there.  I assume the same crowd tomorrow. Life line was probably 20 min wait at peak. Where you go enjoy it. Sooooo much snow!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zeepowderhunter said:

Was at Magic today and it was all time. However with that came the biggest non weekend crowd I have ever seen there.  I assume the same crowd tomorrow. Life line was probably 20 min wait at peak. Where you go enjoy it. Sooooo much snow!

That’s good to hear for the local ownership group. I don’t ski but I like to see these places survive against the big boys. 

Heading up to Plattekill tomorrow. If you stay at one of their lodging partners and pay full price for the Saturday liift ticket ($65), they throw in a voucher to ski Sunday for free.

Skiing 2 days on a weekend for that price is hard to beat! Platty ended up with 10-14 from yesterday on top of the 24-36 from nor'easter #1. Basically 50 inches in a week (plus 4 inches incoming next 48 hrs). I was contemplating heading either Mt Snow or Magic, but Magic's black chair is under repair for the weekend (lift lines could be an issue) and thought since platty finally has the natural snow they desperately need,  I should hit it now while it's prime. I could always hit Mt snow later in the season..

This should be quite a ski weekend. Everyone enjoy it!  We can swap war stories on how it went!

-Jason

Got second chair at Mt Snow this AM and posting from chairlift...

Tons of snow here. Anything ungroomed on the Main Face is unskiable due to flatness. North Face pretty good with pow bumps but lots of terrible skiers.

Groomers are buttery though.

• Like 1