Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The 2017-18 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

7 hours ago, shawnmov said:

Going to Stratton tomorrow - hoping the winds die down.  They are at 12" new now and still going strong.  Maybe one last bonus weekend of tree skiing!

Enjoy! Today was pretty epic. Total of 14” as of when I left at 3 and still snowing. The powder is pretty dense and there will not be much fresh left so get on it as early as possible.

upper mountain was open all day despite obvious high winds. Even the gondola ran in the afternoon.

I went to Smuggs yesterday and it was nice to see a brief heavy burst that resulted in 3 inches of new snow. With that said Madonna Mountain was in poor shape to say the least with bare spots in the woods and thin/very icy cover on the groomers. There were patches of solid ice in many areas. They need a lot of help and fast. Sterling was in better shape but still had its issue. 

41 minutes ago, eyewall said:

I went to Smuggs yesterday They need a lot of help and fast.

So, my niece has reservations at Smuggs for end of month and needs to cancel reservation today for full refund, she called and asked my opinion about what to do...although I feel pretty good about the month ahead in ski country weather wise, my risk adverse nature says cancel. Any dissenting opinions? 

3 minutes ago, Angus said:

So, my niece has reservations at Smuggs for end of month and needs to cancel reservation today for full refund, she called and asked my opinion about what to do...although I feel pretty good about the month ahead in ski country weather wise, my risk adverse nature says cancel. Any dissenting opinions? 

Well it depends on your tolerance for more marginal conditions. Unfortunately this would normally be peak time to be out there but obviously not this season. We will see what they can pull from this next system if it materializes. If that goes belly up I am not sure what it will look like.

2 hours ago, Angus said:

I would cancel.  Nothing will be sold out at the end of the month so it can always be rebooked if conditions warrant it.  

So apparently the whole world got the memo that Stratton had 15” yesterday. As packed as it gets with extremely long lift lines. Also, the giant crowds pushed all the new snow off and into moguls exposing glare ice. There were allot of injury’s as a result. I took a good spill myself. At least I scored yesterday or I would be pissed right now!!

3 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

So apparently the whole world got the memo that Stratton had 15” yesterday. As packed as it gets with extremely long lift lines. Also, the giant crowds pushed all the new snow off and into moguls exposing glare ice. There were allot of injury’s as a result. I took a good spill myself. At least I scored yesterday or I would be pissed right now!!

Mt Snow was jammed today but we got on the lift at 8 am and went right over to the north face and rode in the woods literally all day until 2 pm and called it a day. Those first few runs through fresh snow were incredible. No lunch, just water breaks. The triple chair had a wait of 10 minutes only from 10-11 am and thereafter nothing. At 2:15 when we returned to main base area it was a total zoo. Felt like we beat the system. Lol. 

1 hour ago, Redmorninglight said:

Mt Snow was jammed today but we got on the lift at 8 am and went right over to the north face and rode in the woods literally all day until 2 pm and called it a day. Those first few runs through fresh snow were incredible. No lunch, just water breaks. The triple chair had a wait of 10 minutes only from 10-11 am and thereafter nothing. At 2:15 when we returned to main base area it was a total zoo. Felt like we beat the system. Lol. 

Mt. Snow is a much more spread out mountain so on those super busy days it probably handles the volume better. Stratton is very condensed. I’m getting on it super early tomorrow morning should be great when fresh groomed 

Skied plattekill yesterday.   2-3’ Of dense silky cream cheese.  It was somewhat wind blown and drifted but not as bad as anticipated considering the winds.  While the skiing was good, the mtn operations were a **** show.  Hunter and bellayre had no power and were closed.  Platty communication was down so cash only.  Took my son almost an hour to get a lift ticket.

22 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

It was a weird day at Stratton.  The lines were long in the AM, but the afternoon seemed pretty quiet. There were times when I went to the base of Sunrise and there was nobody in line - at around 12:30 or so.  The snow was nice in the AM, but I don't think they did a very good job at packing down and grooming the trails out.  I have no idea how you can be on ice the day after having 16+ of snow.

The trees were nice in the AM through early afternoon for the most part.  Deep in some areas, but the steeper stuff was a bit rough still.  Squirrel's nest was impossible with the steepness and some newly fallen trees down.

Hoping this next storm gets the Whites a bit more as the season winds down.  

2 hours ago, shawnmov said:

It was a weird day at Stratton.  The lines were long in the AM, but the afternoon seemed pretty quiet. There were times when I went to the base of Sunrise and there was nobody in line - at around 12:30 or so.  The snow was nice in the AM, but I don't think they did a very good job at packing down and grooming the trails out.  I have no idea how you can be on ice the day after having 16+ of snow.

The trees were nice in the AM through early afternoon for the most part.  Deep in some areas, but the steeper stuff was a bit rough still.  Squirrel's nest was impossible with the steepness and some newly fallen trees down.

Hoping this next storm gets the Whites a bit more as the season winds down.  

Today? I thought today was amazing. Some of the best conditions of the winter of if you like packed powder. Light years better then yesterday and not nearly as crowded. 

28 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Today? I thought today was amazing. Some of the best conditions of the winter of if you like packed powder. Light years better then yesterday and not nearly as crowded. 

No, I meant yesterday.  Sorry for the confusion.  Glad it was better today.  They must have got the groomers out last night and fixed things.   Good to hear!