Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The 2017-18 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

20 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Sounds suspect to me. 

Yeah... according to what I can find there isn’t any signs of visible trauma or anything. I mean, I guess he could still have a head injury without visible evidence but it’s kind of unlikely.

Who knows. The whole story is bizarre. I’m skeptical there will ever be any real answers though.

Going to be tough to prove this was a hoax or part of some sort of elaborate criminal plan or otherwise.

Hard to fathom that this will be the second year in a row that my ski trip will be fooked because of record warmth.  Same week - February vacation.  Last year was 60 at Jay Peak.  Thought I'd go more north to Quebec, but that's going to be just as bad.  We just don't get solid / consistent winters anymore here.  Really a bummer.

Aside from last weekend and one weekend in December, the conditions have been so poor this year.  I feel for the ski resorts around here.  They are going to have another bad year, financially.

blasphamy...smooth, deep trenching groomers should be reserved for late March, early April! This is northern New England...Feb = days and days of packed powder with free refills throughout the month.
Got to take what we are given but yeah this is not what we wanted in Feb. There is going to be quite a bit of rot over the next week or so.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Not sure if it's age, maturity (hope not) or resignation but I've become more and more accepting of wild swings in eastern ski conditions. I was emailing a few weeks back with a friend who lives in SLC about his recommendations for some Boston friends who were headed out there for 10 days. His response - haven't skied a single day this season because conditions have been so blah! This from a guy who is normally out in the backcountry in a yurt or cabin almost every weekend of the season. About mid-way through their 10 days, I texted the Boston friends about how things were going and they admitted cover was thin but thought the skiing was great! It's all relative I guess. I looked at a webcam of a nordic ski center near donner pass this morning  - closed with minimal snow on ground, yikes!

48 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

A classic early April New England morning :wacko:

Yup.  I was skiing slush covered ice on Wachusett yesterday evening.  It felt like late March or early April

Hoping to ski Crotched on Monday. $44 tickets.  Haven’t skied there before and it’s nearby.  Need to beat the torch

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Yup.  I was skiing slush covered ice on Wachusett yesterday evening.  It felt like late March or early April

Hoping to ski Crotched on Monday. $44 tickets.  Haven’t skied there before and it’s nearby.  Need to beat the torch

My son was doing the same at Berkshire East and reports bare spots on U Mass and Mini Dole. Next week's torch is going to hurt them.

3 minutes ago, eyewall said:

Enjoy it now because it is going to be crap after this week.

Eyewall, just get out and enjoy what you have now!  The last two days have been awesome for outdoor winter recreation. Get it while it’s here and deal with the crap when it comes.  

Eyewall, just get out and enjoy what you have now!  The last two days have been awesome for outdoor winter recreation. Get it while it’s here and deal with the crap when it comes.  
I did on Thu. I work on weekends.

1 hour ago, eyewall said:

Enjoy it now because it is going to be crap after this week.

Always a glass half full type of guy, huh? ;)

You can't control the weather so don't let it control you - fortune cookie.

The vibe was awesome out on the mountain today.  A half a foot of fresh fell up on the mountain overnight and those mornings are always the best.  So much better than any big ticket hyped up storm. 

28070734_10103332902109320_6306775768113

• Like 2

I'm oddly looking forward to a day near 60F.  It would've bothered me so much more a few years ago but sort of at this point I play in the snow plenty and love it.  But there's something about those couple mild days that remind you spring is coming.  Hard to explain.  It just doesn't bother me like it used to.

6 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I'm oddly looking forward to a day near 60F.  It would've bothered me so much more a few years ago but sort of at this point I play in the snow plenty and love it.  But there's something about those couple mild days that remind you spring is coming.  Hard to explain.  It just doesn't bother me like it used to.

I watched a guy with your last name compete in the Olympics today. I figure you must be related based on your love for winter sports

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Some of the smaller, southern areas, will really be taking a hit after Monday. Trail counts will be dropping soon.  Hopefully the end of the month and March can turn things around

36 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Crotchet is a fun little mountain.  Mix of steeps, cruisers, and twisty trails

Base Lodge is pretty ugly though.

I like Crotched very much for what it is. Was our go-to local hill - close to the grandparents - when the kids were young. I think I would take it over WaWa. When they get some natural snow there are a few spots where you can jump off trail. I like the base lodge - demonstrates they know exactly what they are!

• Like 1

On 2/18/2018 at 4:49 PM, powderfreak said:

Always a glass half full type of guy, huh? ;)

You can't control the weather so don't let it control you - fortune cookie.

The vibe was awesome out on the mountain today.  A half a foot of fresh fell up on the mountain overnight and those mornings are always the best.  So much better than any big ticket hyped up storm. 

28070734_10103332902109320_6306775768113

This is exactly why your mountain and others in that area blow away the rest of the north east. You guys get real powder regularly. The rest of the north east relies on synoptic snow and machine made. True powder days are very rare. Up there not so much. 

Even though it was technically a synoptic event for the rest of the region I’m sure most of what you got was oragrapic and hence much higher ratio. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Angus said:

I like Crotched very much for what it is. Was our go-to local hill - close to the grandparents - when the kids were young. I think I would take it over WaWa. When they get some natural snow there are a few spots where you can jump off trail. I like the base lodge - demonstrates they know exactly what they are!

Yeah.  If Crotched and/or Berkshire East were the same distance from me as WaWa, I would take either over Wachusett.  They do a nice job at Crotched for their size, etc.   That main lift is a bonus,  real quick up the hill. They have some nice glade options that were not open due to a lack of natural, but their snowmaking trails were in great shape.

Only a 70 minute easy drive from me.