Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The 2017-18 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

On 2/10/2018 at 11:01 PM, snowgeek said:

I'm heading to Greece next week.  I'm leading a school trip with 31 people.  I won't have time to ski.  Who knew there was skiing in Greece anyway?!?!?!  Check out this resort.  I'll be 18 miles from it!  It's called Mount Parnassos Ski Resort .  Torture LOL!!!!!  Lift tickets are $30!

Image result for parnassos ski resort greece

Image result for parnassos ski resort greece

Looks pretty epic. 8k at 38 north probably produces pretty good snows. Looks like a great pattern upcoming for Europe as we suffer 

Moving this response to the ski thread as it seems more relevant.

On 2/11/2018 at 8:17 PM, Damage In Tolland said:

And then you know someone that works at a ski resort and they see all the long range guidance.. and you have ski trips planned in Morch.. well.. you start to really worry. Really really worry

I wouldn't worry about snow cover regardless.  Maybe I end up eating those words but the snowpack this time of year starts to get very dense with ice layers and packed snow under the weight.  It begins to take a lot of energy to melt this stuff.  Even in the mountain valleys there's some spring-like density now but up in the ski area elevations (1500-2000+) there's been a winter worth of QPF either packed or soaked into the snowpack.  Been a good bit of sleet and freezing rain this winter adding to the durability but yet quality wise the ice layer has been omnipresent.

With those ice layers in the snowpack, there have been several reports of avalanches this winter in the backcountry terrain between Mt Mansfield and Spruce Peak.  This weekend there were 3 distinct slides seemingly captured on photo or video.

Here's one path that flushed out.  The concern isn't getting buried as there's usually not enough snow (I guess unless you are just incredibly unlucky) entrained but you can get pushed quickly off-balance and into trees, rocks or even over cliffs depending on the line being skied. 

Feb_12_2018_AvieNotch.thumb.jpg.106cae1dcd12db34a803d0d6e002567b.jpg

21 minutes ago, mreaves said:

I’m nit a skier but I enjoy the sport. I’m watching the downhill portion of the Men’s Aloine combined from Pyeongchang and that has got to be the least interesting downhill course every. It just seems blah and sort of non-descript. 

They cut it way down due to wind, more like a GS course

15 hours ago, snowgeek said:

Thanks. I’ll check out Air Canada.

If you fly Air Canada keep an eye out for a story on me and snow measuring, lol.  I show up in some obscure locations but just spent the day with Air Canada's in-flight magazine writer and photographer looking at snowstakes on Mansfield.  Air Canada likes snow stories.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

If you fly Air Canada keep an eye out for a story on me and snow measuring, lol.  I show up in some obscure locations but just spent the day with Air Canada's in-flight magazine writer and photographer looking at snowstakes on Mansfield.  Air Canada likes snow stories.

That's Awesome!!!!

3 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Nice dude, have them give you a link

At the ski gtg last week some of us were talking about a skier who had gone missing at Whiteface.  They found him alive!

in California...
https://www.northcountrypublicradio.org/news/story/35628/20180213/breaking-missing-whiteface-skier-found-alive-in-california

I know...crazy!!! Can’t wait to hear what happened. Probably met a girl on the chairlift and woke up in Cali.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, snowgeek said:

I know...crazy!!! Can’t wait to hear what happened. Probably met a girl on the chairlift and woke up in Cali.

It’s actually sick. We had this happen at jones beach a couple summers ago. A guy was reported missing in the ocean off field six. I was involved in the search. We dove for hours and hours in cold water looking for a body. To the point of a few guards getting minor hypothermia. There were helicopters from as far as New York City and dozens of fire departments involved. 

It turned out the guy had faked his own death in an insurance scheme with his son. He was in Florida the whole time. Both he and his son were arrested. 

3 hours ago, snowgeek said:

Has to be some larger health issue...the brain is an interesting organ.  His car was still in the Whiteface lot, skiing with friends, disappears on a run and he pops up in California.

That's a story.

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Has to be some larger health issue...the brain is an interesting organ.  His car was still in the Whiteface lot, skiing with friends, disappears on a run and he pops up in California.

That's a story.

Yeah... my first guess is mental health related.

However, the story about how he got to Cali should be interesting.. since his car ID etc were all at the mountain.

Whatever the underlying reasons are, this is truly a bizarre story.

Hopefully some more details get released 

Around midday on Tuesday, Filippidis called his wife, who was in Lake Placid meeting with the search party, said Frank Ramagnano, president of the Toronto Professional Fire Fighters' Association.

"Apparently he was confused and he wasn't able to give direct answers," Ramagnano said during a news conference in Toronto broadcast by CTV News.

"He called her by a nickname. She quickly recognized the voice and that it was him, and then they lost contact. He contacted her again and they kept him on the phone and asked him to call 911 to get him help as soon as possible."

Police in Sacramento found Filippidis still wearing the ski clothing he had on when he disappeared, including his helmet and googles, the union president said. Filippidis was given medical attention and taken to a local hospital, where he later spoke with his two children on the phone, Ramagnano said.

The union president said he is unaware of Filippidis having any illness related to mental health or substance abuse.

"I don't know how he got there or why he got there," Ramagnano said in an earlier interview with the Times Union. "Rightfully so, it is under investigation. ... No matter what they discover, it doesn't take away from the nearly 200 people who came together to help."

1 hour ago, snowgeek said:

Around midday on Tuesday, Filippidis called his wife, who was in Lake Placid meeting with the search party, said Frank Ramagnano, president of the Toronto Professional Fire Fighters' Association.

"Apparently he was confused and he wasn't able to give direct answers," Ramagnano said during a news conference in Toronto broadcast by CTV News.

"He called her by a nickname. She quickly recognized the voice and that it was him, and then they lost contact. He contacted her again and they kept him on the phone and asked him to call 911 to get him help as soon as possible."

Police in Sacramento found Filippidis still wearing the ski clothing he had on when he disappeared, including his helmet and googles, the union president said. Filippidis was given medical attention and taken to a local hospital, where he later spoke with his two children on the phone, Ramagnano said.

The union president said he is unaware of Filippidis having any illness related to mental health or substance abuse.

"I don't know how he got there or why he got there," Ramagnano said in an earlier interview with the Times Union. "Rightfully so, it is under investigation. ... No matter what they discover, it doesn't take away from the nearly 200 people who came together to help."

Sounds like alien abduction ;)

36 minutes ago, snowgeek said:

I wonder if his helmet and goggles were on non stop for the whole 6 days.  I can't wait to watch the made for tv movie!!!

It’s funny to a point. Think of all the wasted resources. Helicopters aren’t cheap to fly. I know the jones beach incident cost around a million dollars. Not to mention the hell he put his family through. Hopefully it was a mental health issue and not something scandalous.  

54 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

It’s funny to a point. Think of all the wasted resources. Helicopters aren’t cheap to fly. I know the jones beach incident cost around a million dollars. Not to mention the hell he put his family through. Hopefully it was a mental health issue and not something scandalous.  

He was Canadian, so I wonder if it's harder for them to recoup any of the money if he's found to be liable.  So bizarre!

22 hours ago, powderfreak said:

The snowstake needs its own twitter account, and I nominate you! :D

Headed to Denver March 8th to the 12th.  Was thinking Breck at least for a day mostly for the apres but  Air B n Bs are quadruple the price due to Pride week.  Looks like we will be driving each day from Denver.    Should we just do copper or a smaller mountain? Breck is our yearly trip and haven't been to vail in years.