joxey
The 2017-18 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

• Replies 818
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/3/2018 at 4:03 PM, Redmorninglight said:

Hey all

my daughter and her friend bought a Peak pass this season and I'm trying to plan a 4 day weekend in early March to take them up to Vt and NH. Her pass is good for mt snow, attitash and wildcat. We'd drive up to NH on a Wed night and hit both areas there and then go to mt snow for Saturday  and Sunday. I've been to Mt snow but never the two N H resorts. We are both solid intermediate boarders/borderline advanced and wonder what wildcat and attitash are like. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks. 

Don't go to Mt Snow on the weekend ;) Wildcat is a really wonderful place on so many levels but if it's windy you'll find out why it's a good thing you have a pass that's also good at Attitash. 

13 hours ago, snowgeek said:

I might be looking for someone to go out west with for like 5-6 days in the end of March / early April.  Maybe hit Sunshine Village?  Any takers if I decide to take the plunge?

Good call on western Canada. California is on fire right now and even Colorado is hurting!!!

22 hours ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Yea, no way if Mt snow got 10" because they are further south and would have been closer to the Rain/SN line(not taking into account orographic influence)  Do you know where the measure also? Are they measuring at the summit? I thought you had mentioned your buddy worked there? I know there was a 12" report from Bondville VT(which you probably know is the town at the base of Stratton, so 12"+ is a safe bet. 

Weekend should be nice if your heading up this way.  My 5 year old  has her junior program at Bromley every Thursday afternoon, so should be nice timing after Wed's storm.

Another update. Today’s snow report admits they undermeasured (most likely did not measure or somone who lives near you used a home measurement) 

11 hours ago, gravitylover said:

Don't go to Mt Snow on the weekend ;) Wildcat is a really wonderful place on so many levels but if it's windy you'll find out why it's a good thing you have a pass that's also good at Attitash. 

Ok thanks I have lots of options and will let the weather and crowds dictate the full plan. I am pretty solid on Wildcat Th/Fr and will play Sat/Sun by ear. Was just looking for something closer to home on Sunday. Maybe Crotched for a morning session then beat traffic home hoping to time the trip for good snow and not a cutter. I can always move the whole plan to another weekend if need be. Appreciate the advice. 

On 2/5/2018 at 12:58 PM, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I really think Stratton doesn’t measure properly. No way Mt. Snow got 10”, Okemo 14”, killington 16” Bromley 12” And Stratton just 8”. It’s summit is around 500’ higher then Mt. Snow, Bromely and Okemo 

The thing is you have to understand that I know most mountains do not have any real standardized measuring system.  Mount Snow I think is the best in that area.  But you are talking mountains that span miles wide and up to 2000ft vertical.  

Not everyone necessarily measures at the summit.  The summits usually suck for measuring anyway, too windy.  That's why at Stowe we have 3000ft instead of 3500+.

The other thing is I know from talking to people in the industry that you'd be surprised the number of places that are doing eyeball measurements.  Not even putting a ruler in the snow.  Just walk through it and be like there's 8-10" here. Or ski a run and be like yeah that's probably 4-6"!  

All of the SVT resorts could get the same amount of snow and I bet you'd still have 4 different numbers on the snow reports.  I'm sure Stratton had areas of 8" and areas of 12" too.  Maybe 14" somewhere and yet 7" elsewhere. 

But think about it even in the low lands during a winter storm, amounts can be all over the place, even in the same town you can see several inch differences.

5 hours ago, Redmorninglight said:

Ok thanks I have lots of options and will let the weather and crowds dictate the full plan. I am pretty solid on Wildcat Th/Fr and will play Sat/Sun by ear. Was just looking for something closer to home on Sunday. Maybe Crotched for a morning session then beat traffic home hoping to time the trip for good snow and not a cutter. I can always move the whole plan to another weekend if need be. Appreciate the advice. 

I haven't been to Crotched since 1982 but my recollection is of a very pleasant and fun area. You could always go into Keene and rent some fat bikes from the shop in town and go ride the groomed trails at the Food Network. 

5 hours ago, Southshorewx said:

I work nights and I was thinking of heading north or west for a half day thursday.  Any recommendations for a half day closeish to Boston Thursday? 2 hour drive gets me to a mountain around 830 am Thursday for some new snow runs.  

Was going to suggest Cannon, but might be a wind hold risk there.

18 hours ago, powderfreak said:

The thing is you have to understand that I know most mountains do not have any real standardized measuring system.  Mount Snow I think is the best in that area.  But you are talking mountains that span miles wide and up to 2000ft vertical.  

Not everyone necessarily measures at the summit.  The summits usually suck for measuring anyway, too windy.  That's why at Stowe we have 3000ft instead of 3500+.

The other thing is I know from talking to people in the industry that you'd be surprised the number of places that are doing eyeball measurements.  Not even putting a ruler in the snow.  Just walk through it and be like there's 8-10" here. Or ski a run and be like yeah that's probably 4-6"!  

All of the SVT resorts could get the same amount of snow and I bet you'd still have 4 different numbers on the snow reports.  I'm sure Stratton had areas of 8" and areas of 12" too.  Maybe 14" somewhere and yet 7" elsewhere. 

But think about it even in the low lands during a winter storm, amounts can be all over the place, even in the same town you can see several inch differences.

I agree with everything your saying, the funny thing is the report the other day said “the foot we received from the last storm”. So they kind of admitted it.

in reality not everyone is so anal about snow measurements. Not like we are...

sooooooooooooo stoked for Friday. I just wish the weekend storm cooperated 

33 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I agree with everything your saying, the funny thing is the report the other day said “the foot we received from the last storm”. So they kind of admitted it.

in reality not everyone is so anal about snow measurements. Not like we are...

sooooooooooooo stoked for Friday. I just wish the weekend storm cooperated 

looks like periods of snow from Friday to Sunday, what do you mean the weekend storm?

23 hours ago, qg_omega said:

looks like periods of snow from Friday to Sunday, what do you mean the weekend storm?

I should have clarified the weekend  overrunning. Saturday morning looks great with a couple of fresh inches. But unfortunately Sunday looks like crap.

man I wish I was up there today!!!

The mountains are in fantastic shape. 

Another 3-6" seems likely by tomorrow evening too for a good chunk of ski country.

Playing in the left-over powder.  Conditions are tracked up but just soft, skier packed pow with loose powder around.  Add in the classic random eastern slick spot for good measure.

The-mountain-is-in-prime-shape-for-a-fun

27788100_10103323887305060_1745553004855

3 hours ago, radarman said:

Killington was really, really good today.  Powder and packed powder.  

Sugarbush tomorrow.  (Mt Ellen maybe)

I think that'll be a good choice tomorrow at Mt Ellen.  Just a few miles further north, but models look good from Sugarbush on northward through tomorrow night for 3-6.  The elevations (1500-2000ft+) should stay all snow until going to a sleety/grainy rain later on Sunday.

Pretty good day at Stratton today. I wouldn’t say very good only because it was super crowded for a Friday and I missed Thursday. The crowds really piled up the plentiful snow in mogully piles which I find annoying as boarder. Off the beaten path trails and of course the woods were excellent. Sad the southern mountians flip to rain early. Debating going up to Jay Sunday to escape the rain

On 2/6/2018 at 6:16 PM, powderfreak said:

I have been to Vail and seen 10"  differences from one end of the resort to the other from overnight snows.

Arguably one of the top 3 ski days this season. Hit Waterville for a half day. Skied powder, packed powder. They were spinning all lifts except the Northside double. Tangent, Periphery, True grit and Gema were fantastic. Biggest crowd I've seen all year yet lines were short even though there was a televised race featuring Olympic skiers. It also stayed snow all day with about 3" on top of the foot the got Wednesday. Green Peak open as well but didn't make my way over to that chair. Going to hit my backyard mountain tonight for some night skiing. What a contrast to Lowell where we got about an inch remaining frozen crud and approaching 50. Still below freezing up here. 

I'm heading to Greece next week.  I'm leading a school trip with 31 people.  I won't have time to ski.  Who knew there was skiing in Greece anyway?!?!?!  Check out this resort.  I'll be 18 miles from it!  It's called Mount Parnassos Ski Resort .  Torture LOL!!!!!  Lift tickets are $30!

Image result for parnassos ski resort greece

Image result for parnassos ski resort greece

Archived