SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The 2017-18 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

• Replies 818
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Have you been to West Mountain, is it worth a trip? 

I used to go a lot. Our ski team at SUNY Albany trained there. I go because it’s 45 minutes from my house. It’s much better during the day and when they have fresh snow the north side is awesome. I wouldn’t drive too far to get there. It’s more of a good local hill. How far are you from West? I also usually head to Gore instead.

5 minutes ago, snowgeek said:

I used to go a lot. Our ski team at SUNY Albany trained there. I go because it’s 45 minutes from my house. It’s much better during the day and when they have fresh snow the north side is awesome. I wouldn’t drive too far to get there. It’s more of a good local hill. How far are you from West? I also usually head to Gore instead.

Its 108 miles away. I almost went there two weeks ago, but they only have half the mountain open on weekdays during the day. It's more of a get it in the books type place for me.

23 hours ago, alex said:

Bretton Woods adding a gondola and a new restaurant up top...

http://nhpr.org/post/bretton-woods-looks-expand-gondola-mountaintop-restaurant

Wow, that’s a pretty big capital investment! Good for them. I’m always stoked when any mountain adds new features. Shows the industry as a whole is healthy.

2 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Wow, that’s a pretty big capital investment! Good for them. I’m always stoked when any mountain adds new features. Shows the industry as a whole is healthy.

It also often makes the lift tickets more expensive....grrrrr. But Bretton woods is def catering to a crowd with more money anyway. They do offer some good deals once in a while though. One of my favorite days skiing in the past few years was a bluebird day in early April 2014...BW was offering 25$ lift tickets that day...they still had a huge pack from a prolific march and I skied on hero snow all day with virtually the entire mountain open and of course took in those breath taking views they have. It wa sa great day...skiing those cruisers with the views. 

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

It also often makes the lift tickets more expensive....grrrrr. But Bretton woods is def catering to a crowd with more money anyway. They do offer some good deals once in a while though. One of my favorite days skiing in the past few years was a bluebird day in early April 2014...BW was offering 25$ lift tickets that day...they still had a huge pack from a prolific march and I skied on hero snow all day with virtually the entire mountain open and of course took in those breath taking views they have. It wa sa great day...skiing those cruisers with the views. 

I actually think for the type of clientele that the resort as a whole caters to, lift tickets are very reasonable. Lots of deals online and you can get discounted lift tickets quite easily as well (we offer them to our renters).

The resort came under new ownership last year, and this is allegedly phase 1 of the expansion, which might include a new base area and new terrain on the opposite side of the mountain if all goes well. We'll see!

Hey all

my daughter and her friend bought a Peak pass this season and I'm trying to plan a 4 day weekend in early March to take them up to Vt and NH. Her pass is good for mt snow, attitash and wildcat. We'd drive up to NH on a Wed night and hit both areas there and then go to mt snow for Saturday  and Sunday. I've been to Mt snow but never the two N H resorts. We are both solid intermediate boarders/borderline advanced and wonder what wildcat and attitash are like. Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks. 

So, the only reason to ski at Attitash would be if weather didn't allow you to ski at Wildcat - temperatures, visibility or wind. The terrain is better, the views are the best in NE and you ski 2,000' of vertical each run with their summit quad. With that said, hopefully someone makes the case for spending a day at Attitash. LOL, I haven't been there in 35 years! Of course, your pass allows you to split your day at each area.

If daughter & friend are really hardcore, stop at Crotched - their pass should work - on the way down to Mt. Snow for some nite skiing. Stay in Keene which is close to Crotched and maybe an hour from Mt. Snow.

7 minutes ago, Angus said:

So, the only reason to ski at Attitash would be if weather didn't allow you to ski at Wildcat - temperatures, visibility or wind. The terrain is better, the views are the best in NE and you ski 2,000' of vertical each run with their summit quad. With that said, hopefully someone makes the case for spending a day at Attitash. LOL, I haven't been there in 35 years! Of course, your pass allows you to split your day at each area.

If daughter & friend are really hardcore, stop at Crotched - their pass should work - on the way down to Mt. Snow for some nite skiing. Stay in Keene which is close to Crotched and maybe an hour from Mt. Snow.

I was a season pass holder there for 2 years. Wildcat wins, by far. Just like Angus said - amazing scenery, better terrain, better snow, and incredibly fast lift that gets you 2000' of vertical. Attitash has nice terrain, and by all means you should try it and I'm sure you'll want to ski it occasionally, but some of the best terrain is served by a really old, slow double chair. Bear Peak has some nice runs, though. 

Boarded at Killington Saturday.  Cold but manageable and the cold seemed to keep the crowds down until late morning.  Started on the right side made our way left.  Some ice and moguls type piles popped up around 11.  Mood snow started around the same time.  Ended back on the right side and called it quits around 3.  The low light conditions and mounds of snow made for too much work end of day. 

Skied Pico on Sat and Killington today.  Conditions were just OK yesterday.  Improved rapidly today with 5" of snow by closing today.  Tomorrow should be great.  If the next two storm happen anything like the Euro shows, next weekend should have soft turns everywhere.

Sweet!!!! Gotta get the woods open and grow those soft bumps!!

Killington was fantastic Saturday.   Had to make the call on trying to stay last night .  Ended up coming home.  Failed. 

Monday, February 05, 2018

6:22 am 02/05/18--The Super Bowl storm over-performed, skiers and riders - an additional 
11" fell overnight, bringing the storm total to 16"! That makes today a powder day for sure, so, you know, be here this morning; lifts turn at 9:00 a.m.

2 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I really think Stratton doesn’t measure properly. No way Mt. Snow got 10”, Okemo 14”, killington 16” And Stratton just 8”. It’s summit is around 500’ higher then Mt. Snow and Okemo.

Stratton is south of those other ones though, right? They prob had a bit more mixing.

1 hour ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I really think Stratton doesn’t measure properly. No way Mt. Snow got 10”, Okemo 14”, killington 16” Bromley 12” And Stratton just 8”. It’s summit is around 500’ higher then Mt. Snow, Bromely and Okemo 

Yea, no way if Mt snow got 10" because they are further south and would have been closer to the Rain/SN line(not taking into account orographic influence)  Do you know where the measure also? Are they measuring at the summit? I thought you had mentioned your buddy worked there? I know there was a 12" report from Bondville VT(which you probably know is the town at the base of Stratton, so 12"+ is a safe bet. 

Weekend should be nice if your heading up this way.  My 5 year old  has her junior program at Bromley every Thursday afternoon, so should be nice timing after Wed's storm.

1 hour ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Yea, no way if Mt snow got 10" because they are further south and would have been closer to the Rain/SN line(not taking into account orographic influence)  Do you know where the measure also? Are they measuring at the summit? I thought you had mentioned your buddy worked there? I know there was a 12" report from Bondville VT(which you probably know is the town at the base of Stratton, so 12"+ is a safe bet. 

Weekend should be nice if your heading up this way.  My 5 year old  has her junior program at Bromley every Thursday afternoon, so should be nice timing after Wed's storm.

I’m not sure where they measure but I will find out this weekend. I have two good friends who are on the ski patrol. They know the mountain operations director well so I’ll get to the bottom of it. I would assume it’s at the operations center which is in between the main lodge and the sunbowl lodge. It’s about 1800’ there. 

Its possible it did mix for a while but it still doesn’t answer the mt snow and bromley question. Regardless it put down a nice solid layer. With the next storm putting a major topper on that the trees should be in play again this weekend!!!!

Archived