Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The 2017-18 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

2 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Saw that...I expected that chair to spin all the way around

Not that much swinging but was on the Sublette chair at JH a few years back and got caught above the the cliff band for an extended period in high winds, we were swinging probably 60-70 degrees. We were one of the last chairs loaded and the winds were howling...it was pretty disconcerting. My then- HS-aged son was not a happy camper. We just hung on very, very tightly!

PF and anyone with inside info. Stratton was essentially closed today. Just running the magic carpet. Then that broke.

i get it. I was just wondering what’s everyone’s take for tomorrow? Is this a region wide thing? My buddy siting right next to me is on the ski patrol here and he said this has never happened before.

I just read the Cannon, Loon and Waterville ski/weather reports for Saturday.  Really no headlines or mention of extremely cold conditions.  Lots of talk about an awesome weekend coming after all the new snow.  Waterville in the written section did say it will be very cold and prepare for that.  I was surprised Cannon talked about what a great weekend coming up.

Meanwhile on the National Weather Service said this weekends cold and wind will make it the coldest weekend in a decade in the White Mountains.  I saw a big disconnect...

4 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

PF and anyone with inside info. Stratton was essentially closed today. Just running the magic carpet. Then that broke.

i get it. I was just wondering what’s everyone’s take for tomorrow? Is this a region wide thing? My buddy siting right next to me is on the ski patrol here and he said this has never happened before.

One of the main lifts at Wachusett was cranky today and kept conking out...they had it running at a crawl and it still stopped often.  It was the one my son was working at. He was not sure what was wrong but my guess is the wind and cold were effecting it.

10 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

One of the main lifts at Wachusett was cranky today and kept conking out...they had it running at a crawl and it still stopped often.  It was the one my son was working at. He was not sure what was wrong but my guess is the wind and cold were effecting it.

Everything is shut down again. Lovely. They may open later but no guarantee. 

Just got back from berkshire east. Cold and windy, with maybe 30 cars in the lot at 10am. I was honestly surprised they weren't busier.

I mean... if somebody was hell-bent on making some turns today, why would they head north where there would be more elevation, winds, cold, and lift wind holds?

I feel horrible for the people who booked this weekend just to ski the bottom half of a bigger hill.

Btw, that video is some scary sh!t. I've seen videos of chairs swinging wildly like that, but never with skis dangling beneath them!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Professional Lurker said:

Just got back from berkshire east. Cold and windy, with maybe 30 cars in the lot at 10am. I was honestly surprised they weren't busier.

I mean... if somebody was hell-bent on making some turns today, why would they head north where there would be more elevation, winds, cold, and lift wind holds?

I feel horrible for the people who booked this weekend just to ski the bottom half of a bigger hill.

Btw, that video is some scary sh!t. I've seen videos of chairs swinging wildly like that, but never with skis dangling beneath them!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

There are less then 100 people here at Stratton. It’s open to mid mountain with one lift running. That’s all they need. The trees are great with all the blown in snow. But overall it’s insane. I haven’t heard wind roar through trees like this morning since sandy on Long Island. Looking forward to tomorrow and hoping the winds die down

16 minutes ago, amarshall said:

I was thinking of heading to Sugarloaf Friday night. What do you think about their chances for snow?   I don't want to go if its a massive ice storm

Not looking good. Hopefully this trends back colder...but the recent model runs are not encouraging.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Hitman said:

fair to assume the same prognosis for northern VT?

fwiw-both snowforecast.com and snow-forecast.com were showing big snows for saturday as of this morning.

N VT may "escape" with a lot of ice and less rain...it's still possible this maybe trend back colder and its more snow up there. Hopefully that is the case but right now the trends are bad.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, radarman said:

Some wind scoured aspects at Killington but where it had blown in was really exceptional.  Tomorrow should be another good one with everything softening, today was unadulterated winter snow.  Big Dipper and the adjacent woods skiers left was the run of the day.  

Nice AK Pete and Pete survive unscathed? No blood on the snow?

2 hours ago, Cold Miser said:

Not a skiing topic but curious just the same:
What is the smallest dept of snow that people have gone snow shoeing in?

We went one day last February during the torch and in the woods, some places had a couple of feet of snow and some was almost bare. We snowshoed anyway.

Uber sweaty

5 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

We went one day last February during the torch and in the woods, some places had a couple of feet of snow and some was almost bare. We snowshoed anyway.

Uber sweaty

The most I ever shoed in was about 36 to 48 in the Adirondacks.  Old school wide-ass beaver tail looking weaved shoes.  Was un real.  Was up there snow mobiling and taking snow off the house roof.

44 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Agree.  Sugarloaf is a Feb - April mountain anyway.

More like March-April!! I have opportunity to go up there next weekend (20th) - and need to decide this weekend so I'll probably be asking the same question. Favorite mountain when the wind isn't howling and it isn't well below zero...

A complete and unmitigated disaster at Stratton right now. I can’t stress that enough. A great season just took 20 steps back right to November. Going to need a fresh start to fix this 

12B8EE51-AC17-4F26-8D93-34513D8B4CB8.thumb.jpeg.96b4f12ca3bdde01aeba53e19d8a0641.jpeg
Yeah that is awful. They have been decimated. We will have to see the final verdict up north.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk