Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The 2017-18 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

On 11/29/2017 at 8:31 AM, tnt said:

This pic made their Facebook page....incredible shot....

How'd you guys do overnight?   Rain this morning?  

Funny how that might happen ;).  I do their social media among other things.

Regarding yesterday... we didn't see any rain above 3,000ft and below that there were literally like 3-5 minutes of light rain before it went over to heavy snow with thunder and lightning.  1" yesterday at both the top and bottom stakes from those squalls.

Today was better than expected (modern grooming machines are pretty cool) with pretty much packed powder above 2,500ft but it got granular/firmer on the lower half, presumably from the brief rain and then the wet snow that injected a bit of water into the lower mountain terrain.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Funny how that might happen ;).  I do their social media among other things.

Regarding yesterday... we didn't see any rain above 3,000ft and below that there were literally like 3-5 minutes of light rain before it went over to heavy snow with thunder and lightning.  1" yesterday at both the top and bottom stakes from those squalls.

Today was better than expected (modern grooming machines are pretty cool) with pretty much packed powder above 2,500ft but it got granular/firmer on the lower half, presumably from the brief rain and then the wet snow that injected a bit of water into the lower mountain terrain.

awesome!  I just got up here....we're skiing stowe saturday for sure, debating on stowe v. jay tomorrow,.  About 2" of dense snow here where we are staying, but unfortunately it stopped coming down around 11pm....those conditions sound pretty great for november!  see you out there...

6 hours ago, tnt said:

awesome!  I just got up here....we're skiing stowe saturday for sure, debating on stowe v. jay tomorrow,.  About 2" of dense snow here where we are staying, but unfortunately it stopped coming down around 11pm....those conditions sound pretty great for november!  see you out there...

Grooming is reporting 1.5" of wet snow above 2,600ft or so.  Just a trace at the Stake in the base area this morning.  

Should be interesting today with some variation from top to bottom.

15 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Grooming is reporting 1.5" of wet snow above 2,600ft or so.  Just a trace at the Stake in the base area this morning.  

Should be interesting today with some variation from top to bottom.

was a great day out there....sure seems like there was more than 1.5 up top.  Soft snow up top, corn snow at the bottom, a bit scratchy in the middle, but way, way better than we were expecting.  Had a blast.

8 hours ago, tnt said:

was a great day out there....sure seems like there was more than 1.5 up top.  Soft snow up top, corn snow at the bottom, a bit scratchy in the middle, but way, way better than we were expecting.  Had a blast.

That's what we like to hear ;).  With the reputation that Jay gets sometimes, I want no part in that.  The goal is for folks to think there's "at least" the amount reported...not "yeah there was that much in drifts and a few spots." 

It has been a very good start to the season up here...crazy the difference right now between mountain and town.  I finally lost my snow yesterday in my yard (except for plow push piles) but then driving up this morning it goes solid white with snowbanks at like 1,200ft.  Up at 1,500ft at the base its just winter with 6"+ on the ground.

• Like 1

My son officially had his first day as a liftie today at the local bump. 

He had done training previously but today was the real deal

Is his shoulder sore yet from bumping chairs? He'll be raking the loading area at some point and forget about the next chair and it will clean him out good, especially if it's a fixed grip chair... ah, memories!

My first few rides down the lifts from the top shack were terrifying, as you fully realize how high up you are. It's a completely different experience. After a while though you just sit back and enjoy the view.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 12/2/2017 at 6:51 AM, powderfreak said:

That's what we like to hear ;).  With the reputation that Jay gets sometimes, I want no part in that.  The goal is for folks to think there's "at least" the amount reported...not "yeah there was that much in drifts and a few spots." 

It has been a very good start to the season up here...crazy the difference right now between mountain and town.  I finally lost my snow yesterday in my yard (except for plow push piles) but then driving up this morning it goes solid white with snowbanks at like 1,200ft.  Up at 1,500ft at the base its just winter with 6"+ on the ground.

Stowe really delivered.  You guys are doing a great job.  

Great conditions everywhere Friday, saturday the trails were a bit scratchy but nosedive woods was super soft (though closed) as was Stone Chapel (I think that's the name...) Woods.  Nosedive itself was in surprising shape.

My friend and I are just getting into skinning and had awesome little adventures on teh mountain both days, learning the mechanics of skinning.  Really fun.  Saturday we went up the toll road - saw the stake for teh first time in my life - out on the ahmhearst trail for a bit, then up around the nose to the long trail stake.  A lot of fun.  Real snowy up there - looks like full on winter.....

Great start to my season.

• Like 1

Been skiing all day at Bretton Woods where it has been snowing all day. Guestimating storm total of 14-18" - wish the terrain was a little steeper but basically skiing all ungroomed - mid shin to almost knee. Nice way to start season.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Angus said:

Been skiing all day at Bretton Woods where it has been snowing all day. Guestimating storm total of 14-18" - wish the terrain was a little steeper but basically skiing all ungroomed - mid shin to almost knee. Nice way to start season.

Sounds awesome. I'm jelly.

Is Rosebrook open? There's some okay steeper runs there, though they are not very long on the steep parts. The Rosebook glades are pretty fun too, but I assume it's not deep enough to venture in there yet.

The Rosebrook chairlift was open along with the Bethleham Quad but there was a limited amount of terrain open off of it. They were blowing lots of snow over at West Mountain and from staff comments they will open lots of terrain shortly. It snowed hard all day and and was near white out on my last run of the day around 3:30.

Skied bretton last year. Was ok, but not challenging enough.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Great views though,    I don’t mind cruising blues for a while now

Great mountain for bluebird skiing. Just cruising with some of the best views in all of New England. I did a $25 lift ticket there in early April 2014 on a bluebird day and it was amazing. Basically all terrain open and skiing on hero snow all day with those views. 

The glades are kind of underrated there...not epically steep but they cover a lot of area so you can just pick your way through them at any path you want without worrying about straying out of bounds. 

But yeah, it's not a mountain you go to if you are looking for big steeps...sometimes I'm ok with that. 

Just some amazing skiing out there today... bluebird and storm left-overs.  The gusty winds did a good job packing in the snow, too.  Normally its sort of annoying to have the wind ravaged snow but early season it has packed in the base really well.  And the wind fills in all the crevices and smooths the base over. 

Pretty much everything is open off the lifts that are running right now. 

Our storm totals off the snow boards (cleared once early AM and once in the PM) were 14" at 1,500ft and 17" at 3,000ft.

25352301_10103264405472130_2943273552331

On 12/9/2017 at 9:37 AM, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Super stoked on my new snow board. It’s a lib tech 165 skunk ape. Designed wide for big guys like myself. I’ll be up riding at Stratton next weekend. Stuck doing “snow removal” in NYC today

Nice dude...always fun to get new toys to play with on the hill. 

4 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Nice dude...always fun to get new toys to play with on the hill. 

Today was the first day on the new board. It changed my whole world. Apparently I really have been ridding the wrong board. The new board is incredible, just everything I wanted. 

Conditions weren’t as good as I had hoped at Stratton. Packed powder that had been ridden out thoroughly. I guess I was hoping that with lower early season traffic it would hold on for a few days. The natural stuff was prettier mangled, so tempting to drop a rope but not worth loosing my pass. But beggars can’t be choosers this time of year!!! 

Stratton on 11/24/2017 - Was surprised that top to bottom runs were available and conditions were quite nice for start of season. Never skied in November before, so that was a first!

Sunapee on 12/17/2017 - Very cold start but really good snow all day. Although plenty of cars in the lot, zero crowds at lifts. The chair lift should face the other way, great view!