Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The 2017-18 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

2 hours ago, MarkO said:

By the looks of the webcam, Killington is pounding Superstar and for good reason. I'm guessing either they or SR will open tomorrow or more likely Thursday for bragging rights.

http://www.killington.com/site/mountain/webcam/superstar.html

Good pattern coming up for Killington to really get ahead of the game on superstar for the world cup in 18 days. Doesn't look like any ugly torches either for the foreseeable future...they can probably make snow pretty much non-stop for the next 7 days if they want to. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Good pattern coming up for Killington to really get ahead of the game on superstar for the world cup in 18 days. Doesn't look like any ugly torches either for the foreseeable future...they can probably make snow pretty much non-stop for the next 7 days if they want to. 

Killington opens TOMORROW to season pass holders:

http://www.killington.com/site/mountain/conditions/dor

Snowshoed up Big Mountain in Whitefish MT this morning...I'm assuming this isn't a NE skiing only thread! - and the amount of folks skinning up and skiing down was impressive. There is 6" of snow at base but a good couple of feet mid-mountain on up. Place doesn't open for until December 7th. They have a few fan guns around the base area and one or two pre-positioned mid-mountain at what appears to be a high traffic area. Looks like a fun mountain. The wrap against the place is fog but this morning was mostly clear and the views east into Glacier National Park were breathtaking. 2,300' vertical feet challenged my fitness!

Snowshoed up Big Mountain in Whitefish MT this morning...I'm assuming this isn't a NE skiing only thread! - and the amount of folks skinning up and skiing down was impressive. There is 6" of snow at base but a good couple of feet mid-mountain on up. Place doesn't open for until December 7th. They have a few fan guns around the base area and one or two pre-positioned mid-mountain at what appears to be a high traffic area. Looks like a fun mountain. The wrap against the place is fog but this morning was mostly clear and the views east into Glacier National Park were breathtaking. 2,300' vertical feet challenged my fitness!

Cool. My god mother lives in Norris.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Boston Bulldog said:

Skied 12 runs at Okemo to kick off the season. The surface wasn't great and the trails were all crowded, but there were about 5-6 distinct different paths down the mountain. For Black Friday, I'll take that easily.

Yesterday was some pretty firm conditions up here.  We've been open for a week and yesterday was the first day I was like "ok, now this is November skiing"...so not bad.  The surface has been pretty good but the up and down weather pattern is tough on the surface conditions.  Lots of "beach sand" (loose granular) out there on top of a firm base.

Today morphed into almost spring skiing with temps hitting 50F in the base area before the band of precip moved through and the summit dynamically cooled to snow but 80% of the mountain's elevations saw rain (albeit only 0.05-0.1").

On 11/25/2017 at 7:11 PM, powderfreak said:

One helluva sunrise this morning though...7:30am lift opening at the Quad means for some early starts.

23916608_10154937924162382_7911366662558

This pic made their Facebook page....incredible shot....

How'd you guys do overnight?   Rain this morning?