Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The 2017-18 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

1 minute ago, MarkO said:

Cannon did as well. I'm sure there were many others. Wildcat did last Friday. Killington hosting World Cup again Thanksgiving Weekend, so I expect to see them burying Superstar over the next few weeks.

Kmart will probably have a chance to start the base up late this month into early November...def looks colder in that period. The key as always will be to avoid the ridiculous torching cutters that can happen in November. Last year, it wasn't excessively cold or anything except for late October when they started up, but they managed to avoid the horrendous 24-36 hour 55/55 rains so the snow was able to retain nicely even during meh periods in November. Such a huge difference between a 58/27 day and the 55/55 heavy rains.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Kmart will probably have a chance to start the base up late this month into early November...def looks colder in that period. The key as always will be to avoid the ridiculous torching cutters that can happen in November. Last year, it wasn't excessively cold or anything except for late October when they started up, but they managed to avoid the horrendous 24-36 hour 55/55 rains so the snow was able to retain nicely even during meh periods in November. Such a huge difference between a 58/27 day and the 55/55 heavy rains.

Yeah, and the duration of that warm sector matters a lot...even a brief 55/55 heavy rain is ok but like 18 hours not so much.  That manmade snow is essentially sleet in terms of retention. 

Depending on their snow gun settings, they are obviously going for production snow vs. skier friendly snow at that stage, so it may even make sleet look like powder haha.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, MarkO said:

Appears Killington is making snow on Superstar via webcam. Must be borderline snowmaking conditions. 

Also, just learned this year Ken Jones has a program where if you rent your kids skis there for the season, you get a Waterville Valley season pass. I wish I had known this years ago, lol.

That’s a pretty sweet deal, depending on the rental rates.

For the second year in a row we are renting our daughter’s gear at the bump.  All brand new stuff. If she outgrows the boots, etc during the season they will fit her into new ones. $139 for the season.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

That’s a pretty sweet deal, depending on the rental rates.

For the second year in a row we are renting our daughter’s gear at the bump.  All brand new stuff. If she outgrows the boots, etc during the season they will fit her into new ones. $139 for the season.

$150 used, $170 for new. Of course the "real" cost was my $902 adult no-blackout season pass. I still think I'll make out in the end. Hoping to get 40 days this year.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hitman said:

thursday night through sunday look like a nice window for making snow.  We are not far now. 

SR announced they're open by the weekend, no promises on earlier but they're trying. SR/Killington is a certainty but curious who else will go for it. Heard Mt. Snow has a new system that they're looking to show off, Bretton Woods usually plays the early season game, maybe Wildcat or Loon will try to make a showing? I'll be at SR on Sunday and possibly Saturday afternoon as well and can't wait to get back out there.

9 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

My son is up at our local bump’s job fair.  If he gets one, it will be his first “real” job...$ plus a pass

My cousin from Princeton (now lives up near BTV) worked for several years there as a ski instructor starting senior year of high school. I think he was a lower assistant the year before. But it's a nice perk to get the free pass living so close. 

• Like 1