Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
August Banter Thread

George BM

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't take my real camera for this trip so I have no good pictures, but totality in Casper, Wyo., was just amazing. I did not think that the corona-and-dark-moon would be so striking and gorgeous to the naked eye. And it was amazing how much light the sun still gave off even at 99%, in that last instance before totality. Wow. It was so cool.

2 hours ago, jacindc said:

I didn't take my real camera for this trip so I have no good pictures, but totality in Casper, Wyo., was just amazing. I did not think that the corona-and-dark-moon would be so striking and gorgeous to the naked eye. And it was amazing how much light the sun still gave off even at 99%, in that last instance before totality. Wow. It was so cool.

You described my feelings well. This was my first total eclipse and for me, it was a moving experience. I know how that reads, but it really was different and unique in a way I didn't expect. I said it in an earlier post but I'll definitely post any links to any photos I took that turned out.

Pretty awesome that three of us (that I know of) that met back on July 22nd saw the eclipse and all from different parts of the country. Agree 100%, I am looking at the pics I took and they are NOTHING compared to what I saw in person. I'm ready for the next one and HIGHLY recommend it to anyone able to get in the path for 2024. My son viewed it from near Casper WY so we watched same event 1500 miles apart and at a slightly different time, amazing.

5 minutes ago, wxdude64 said:

Pretty awesome that three of us (that I know of) that met back on July 22nd saw the eclipse and all from different parts of the country. Agree 100%, I am looking at the pics I took and they are NOTHING compared to what I saw in person. I'm ready for the next one and HIGHLY recommend it to anyone able to get in the path for 2024. My son viewed it from near Casper WY so we watched same event 1500 miles apart and at a slightly different time, amazing.

You said it.

4 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Oregon totality.

Great pic! 

It was such an amazing event.  The weather changes were fascinating.  An on-air met from CT was at the same spot as me and we had fun talking about the clouds fizzling out as the sky got darker and the temp drop.  Haven't looked at local obs, but I'm guessing it was an easy 10F temp drop, maybe more.  Wish it could have lasted for hours so I could watch the corona ripple and change.  

53 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

I'm out and being my stupid self in bars and breweries in Lincoln City, and someone in the bar knew someone that took this here in Oregon this morning. It's exactly what we all saw here.

IMG_0267.thumb.JPG.ed37d315e836e997f1c6edd93f8a5aaa.JPG

Gorgeous diamond ring photo. 

CONGRATS TO ALL who witnessed the eclipse.

Dale City got RAIN at 252pm lol, and I absolutely loved every drop! I received over an inch of fresh rain. My back yard and my neighbor's back yard are getting nice and high and I will soon be in a total state of grass mowing bliss, amidst the clouds of mosquitoes!:wub::wub::wub:

I'm definitely traveling for the 2024 eclipse- the kids will be older and at a good age for it too. In-laws aren't too far from the 2023 annular path so that's also one to consider.

Then we get a lunar eclipse here in January 2019 but I fully expect that one to fail with 33 and rain during the event. We're great at lunar eclipse fails here.

43 minutes ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

I'm definitely traveling for the 2024 eclipse- the kids will be older and at a good age for it too. In-laws aren't too far from the 2023 annular path so that's also one to consider.

Then we get a lunar eclipse here in January 2019 but I fully expect that one to fail with 33 and rain during the event. We're great at lunar eclipse fails here.

Hate to be a skunk at the party, but at that time of year (early April), most of the areas east of the Mississippi can easily be shrouded in clouds.

7 hours ago, tmagan said:

Hate to be a skunk at the party, but at that time of year (early April), most of the areas east of the Mississippi can easily be shrouded in clouds.

Here? on the MA forum? Pessimism?

Come back for one of our winter storms. Skunks abound. (Unfortunately for snow lovers; the negativity is somewhat justified)

For me, it's pretty cool that 3 generations of my family, stretched across 3 time zones and 2 countries, saw the eclipse from 62% up to totality, and we could all see it going on at the same time.  Parents and sister in are in Alberta.  Little brother drove himself, his wife, and 4 kids from ND to Aurora, Nebraska (fitting!) for totality (one kid at the beginning exclaimed that part of the sun was missing).  I watched it near Mount Vernon and my big brother is in eastern KY.  In 1979, totality came to us in Winnipeg but only my parents and big brother can remember it.

20 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

Great pic! 

It was such an amazing event.  The weather changes were fascinating.  An on-air met from CT was at the same spot as me and we had fun talking about the clouds fizzling out as the sky got darker and the temp drop.  Haven't looked at local obs, but I'm guessing it was an easy 10F temp drop, maybe more.  Wish it could have lasted for hours so I could watch the corona ripple and change.  

Thanks. We were on the beach when fhe partial started and the morning fog had just finished burning off and it looked like we would have clear skies for the duration. But suddenly it got very foggy again so we jumped in the van and went a couple miles inland to clear skies. But as we got closer and closer to totality, we could see the fog creeping up the valley towards us. You can see it in the picture. Fortunately it didn't make it far enough to eclipse our eclipse. I'm not sure they the eclipse caused the fog, but I think it probably caused it to creep farther inland with the dropping temperatures.

Went to South Carolina to see the eclipse and met up with several friends in the SE forum. It was a breathtaking experience and I was lucky to have my binoculars to see the totality up close. The pics definitely don't do justice compared to seeing it in real life, not to mention seeing the rapid changes that happen especially in the last few minutes before totality. Although it was a long trip, it was absolutely worth it for me, and I'd easily do it again.

To me, seeing the eclipse at totality felt like winning a royal flush.

8 hours ago, Sparky said:

What an awful drive home taking I-81 today.  Left Laurens at 7:07am and arrived home at 7:00pm.  Only made one stop midway for gas and pee.

Yikes. Ours wasn't too bad traffic wise until we got near D.C. Lots of construction on I85 though. Still took ten hours with stops.

We drove back from Myrtle Beach - drive wasn't all that bad but for some reason everyone insisted on randomly slowing down every 3 miles for like a 50 mile stretch. Then of course 95 closer to DC was kind of bad and so was 395...which by that point I just wanted to be done with driving. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived