Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
August Banter Thread

George BM

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, MN Transplant said:

Just got a newsletter from my daughter's preschool.  Due to the eclipse, they are keeping all of the kids inside on Monday from 1-4:30pm and will be closing the blinds.  :arrowhead:

Kinda like  vampires in reverse, I suppose.

(I'm sure they would be cute little vampires though)

Thought this was a gag at first.

44 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Ravens D looks like it might actually be legit. The D-line is especially deep and talented. The offense on the other hand..

Yeah. O has taken a hit with injuries, many of the season end variety. Key will probably be the o-line and staying somewhat healthy throughout the season. Should be an interesting ride either way.

On the other hand the Defense, if they can stay healthy, looks like they have a good shot at being a top 5.  

6 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

We are still on our road trip from LA and made a stop last night in Gold Beach, OR, before meeting friends tonight in Lincoln City for the weekend and the eclipse. We had cell service overnight and I was glad to get caught up on everyone else's plans for Monday's show. Wishing everyone clear skies and good beer!

That reminds me, Mattie G and Cape need to make a trip to Russian River Brewing! There are a ton of breweries out here but that was a really good one. Still have a couple of Pliny the Elder to work on.

Last night's sunset from Gold Beach.

IMG_0258.thumb.JPG.c0b257f1287f20e062cf164712c43462.JPG

Beautiful! 

Good lord what a drive so far. We've only made it down to Chester or so. Storms have been following us south mostly. Crazy rainfall rates and some good winds too. Lots of people stopped along 95. We stopped for dinner and the line has caught up to us again. Not a fun way to drive at night. Really hoping they gust out soon. 

Just got a newsletter from my daughter's preschool.  Due to the eclipse, they are keeping all of the kids inside on Monday from 1-4:30pm and will be closing the blinds.  :arrowhead:

Ha, got an email from my kids preschool (tho it's for summer camp as she doesn't got back until the 28th), saying the same thing.

My daycare provider is keeping the kids inside during it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 8/18/2017 at 2:43 PM, nw baltimore wx said:

We are still on our road trip from LA and made a stop last night in Gold Beach, OR, before meeting friends tonight in Lincoln City for the weekend and the eclipse. We had cell service overnight and I was glad to get caught up on everyone else's plans for Monday's show. Wishing everyone clear skies and good beer!

That reminds me, Mattie G and Cape need to make a trip to Russian River Brewing! There are a ton of breweries out here but that was a really good one. Still have a couple of Pliny the Elder to work on.

Last night's sunset from Gold Beach.

IMG_0258.thumb.JPG.c0b257f1287f20e062cf164712c43462.JPG

Cool pic!

Enjoy the eclipse, I'll be leaving for eastern TN in a bit. HOPING to make the Cherohala Skyway near NC/TN line. It is up on a ridge like BRP and has several overlooks to the west with a good view. My plan is to try to catch the darkness racing towards me to the NW as totality hits. A couple back up spots planned if can't make that one, either way I'll be 'in the dark' for 2-3 minutes.

Hope everybody gets the chance to view tomorrow, those traveling stay safe and catch all on the flip side.

6 hours ago, wxdude64 said:

Cool pic!

Enjoy the eclipse, I'll be leaving for eastern TN in a bit. HOPING to make the Cherohala Skyway near NC/TN line. It is up on a ridge like BRP and has several overlooks to the west with a good view. My plan is to try to catch the darkness racing towards me to the NW as totality hits. A couple back up spots planned if can't make that one, either way I'll be 'in the dark' for 2-3 minutes.

Hope everybody gets the chance to view tomorrow, those traveling stay safe and catch all on the flip side.

Thanks! Sounds like you have a great trip planned. Hoping for clear skies for you.

Here, right on the beach in Oregon, we have a forecast for patchy AM fog but otherwise sunny. Unless things are really bad, we are planning to ride out the weather here rather than driving east away from the coast. Interestingly, all the fears for pandemonium here have proven wrong so far. No traffic problems or runs on gas, so hopefully that holds.

Finally, I opened my SkyView app this morning near the time of the eclipse tomorrow to get an idea what the sky will look like in the morning. From top to bottom, that's the moon, Mars, the Sun, and Mercury. 

IMG_0265.PNG.3b58df1639d4515e37fb941d104c3705.PNG

1 hour ago, Kmlwx said:

Have seen some posts saying that DC will get "eerily dark" - I truly wonder where people get this information before they distribute it. 

I remember it getting obviously dimmer during the eclipse in May 1994 up in central PA. Not necessarily "eerie," but definitely different.

3 hours ago, Kmlwx said:

Have seen some posts saying that DC will get "eerily dark" - I truly wonder where people get this information before they distribute it. 

Yeah, I don't know about "eerily dark", that's a bit much.  I imagine it will be similar to the annular eclipse I saw while in Columbus, OH (back in 1994).  It wasn't total annular there (northwest OH was in the main path), but was still like 80-90%.  At the peak, it was kind of like twilight...not dark, but definitely notable and still cool to see.

2 hours ago, mattie g said:

I remember it getting obviously dimmer during the eclipse in May 1994 up in central PA. Not necessarily "eerie," but definitely different.

Ha!  That's cool...same one I was referring to in my reply, the 1994 annular eclipse.  It was total over northwest OH...probably the only time in history that anyone said "hey, let's take a road trip to Toledo!!"  (no offense to native Toledans, LOL!!)

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived