Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
August Banter Thread

George BM

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm putting this in banter with high jinx potential.  How many years of winter outlook busts have we had over the last decade that specifically called for front-loaded winters?  This year will be the opposite.  Outlooks will call for high seasonal snowfall overall, but most of the good stuff we get will be gone while people are complaining about how cold the Holidays are.

15 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Doing some awesome hikes and hitting up some great breweries out here in CA. Saw the Os in Oakland tonight, and although it's a pretty blah stadium, the fans are gracious and inviting, and we had a great time. Could use some rain out here though...

IMG_0220.thumb.JPG.a3891ddb0738b349a836a65836ac7ee5.JPG

If you are up on the trails in the foothills keep an eye out for rattlers. Quite common there. Met a few myself while living in San Diego county 20 years ago.

12 hours ago, showmethesnow said:

If you are up on the trails in the foothills keep an eye out for rattlers. Quite common there. Met a few myself while living in San Diego county 20 years ago.

We did the High Peaks Trail in Pinnacles and were definitely keeping an eye out for critters. Got really lucky and saw a condor that was just hanging out in a tree over the trail.

The big highlight of the trip was just a couple of hours ago when we were camping in Sonoma Lake and were awoken by car horns and yelling to get up and get out because of a wildfire. I'm pretty sure everyone in the camp got out safely though some lost their gear because the fire overtook the campground. It was a frantic 20 minutes and we left the area to the firemen and an orange glow. We are exhausted and just checked into a motel.

Finally, so sad to hear about what's going on in Charlottesville. I'm sure I'm weirded out by the fire tonight, but everything feels a little surreal right now. Hoping to wake up to a better world.

8 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

We did the High Peaks Trail in Pinnacles and were definitely keeping an eye out for critters. Got really lucky and saw a condor that was just hanging out in a tree over the trail.

The big highlight of the trip was just a couple of hours ago when we were camping in Sonoma Lake and were awoken by car horns and yelling to get up and get out because of a wildfire. I'm pretty sure everyone in the camp got out safely though some lost their gear because the fire overtook the campground. It was a frantic 20 minutes and we left the area to the firemen and an orange glow. We are exhausted and just checked into a motel.

Finally, so sad to hear about what's going on in Charlottesville. I'm sure I'm weirded out by the fire tonight, but everything feels a little surreal right now. Hoping to wake up to a better world.

Father has a place out there that has been overrun twice now in the last 20-30 years by wild fires. Luckily he has emerged relatively unscathed both times. 

Yeah Charlottesville. Sadly I think we are just seeing the opening salvo of what we can expect to see further escalate in the future. Just too much hatred on all sides, where dialogue and compromise no longer exists. Signs have all pointed to this for quite a few years now. Actually warned my wife of this 5-6 years ago and she shrugged it off as so much nonsense. 

3 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Father has a place out there that has been overrun twice now in the last 20-30 years by wild fires. Luckily he has emerged relatively unscathed both times. 

Yeah Charlottesville. Sadly I think we are just seeing the opening salvo of what we can expect to see further escalate in the future. Just too much hatred on all sides, where dialogue and compromise no longer exists. Signs have all pointed to this for quite a few years now. Actually warned my wife of this 5-6 years ago and she shrugged it off as so much nonsense. 

Crazy times, for sure. 

By the way, I had forgotten that I took this quick shot overlooking the campground as we were leaving. Our site was within the fire when I took this ten minutes after making our mad dash out.

IMG_0225.thumb.JPG.01876fc4d400775fcc83f4ce68c38cfd.JPG

5 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Outside of Philly, and I've never seen gridlock like this in my life. Both directions and idk why.

I've been stuck in traffic on 95 to and from my family's place(s) on more occasions than I care to remember. It can be truly brutal, with summer weekends the worst, by far.

10 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

It was wild. No movement on one side, barely any on my side. Terrifying to think of what would happen if the region needed to evacuate.

Where were you, if you don't mind my asking? As with anywhere else, there are certain bottlenecks, but it can be horrific anywhere - like 95-between-DC-and-Fredericksburg bad.

5 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

On the Jersey turnpike maybe 10 miles outside Philly.

Turnpike. Yuck. Wouldn't be surprised if that was general summer weekend traffic with people traversing Jersey to and from the various beaches. Just perhaps ramped up a bit from normal.

You should have hit 295. Best under-the-radar road I've ever had the pleasure to travel on. In fact, we almost never used the Turnpike when I was growing up because 1) we were poor and 2) 295 will get you anywhere in South Jersey that the Turnpike can get you and without as much volume.

22 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

On the Jersey turnpike maybe 10 miles outside Philly.

God willing I don't commute to work. Jersey Turnpike is a ****show. These days one should embrace a simple living and the environmental burden is less, while being less stressful but we all have obligations I suppose.

The GFS is simply a trash heap. I can't believe it's gotten this bad. The proof is there, all you gotta do is run the verification tests for Gert, Joaquin, that derecho in 2016 or w/e it was. There are tons of examples. It's so bad that it appears that someone hacked into the model and deleted huge chunks of code.

6z and 12z GFS seemed promising for western SC eclipse viewing.  12z Euro looked good from a longwave view point based on the free maps on TT.  18z GFS has a nice progression of a weak s/w so high pressure is moving in on Monday but has some bulls*t cirrus deck all over SC.  Oh well, still have 23 model cycles left.  

26 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I really want SC to be my play. Can get there pretty easily and I'd have a place to stay for free. Kinda nervous I'll have to drive out to the midwest which becomes a lot more expensive. 

Seems like a system will be moving through the upper midwest next Monday, but obviously still uncertainty on strength and track.

On 8/14/2017 at 0:03 PM, Vice-Regent said:

The GFS is simply a trash heap. I can't believe it's gotten this bad. The proof is there, all you gotta do is run the verification tests for Gert, Joaquin, that derecho in 2016 or w/e it was. There are tons of examples. It's so bad that it appears that someone hacked into the model and deleted huge chunks of code.

It was never any good... 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived