Weathernoob335
August Banter Thread

George BM

• WxUSAF pinned this topic
  • Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Why is everyone freaking out over this eclipse?  It gets dark for what 20 min?

Because it is an unusual event that doesn't happen very often to say the least. It's going to be cool to finally see one in person. I mean I'd think that most would become at least a little curious/suspicious if a black circle covered the sun making it become twilight during the middle of the day with no clouds around.....Hopefully no clouds anyway. 

But of course, that's just me. Everyone feels differently about everything so...*shrugs*.

25 minutes ago, George BM said:

Because it is an unusual event that doesn't happen very often to say the least. It's going to be cool to finally see one in person. I mean I'd think that most would become at least a little curious/suspicious if a black circle covered the sun making it become twilight during the middle of the day with no clouds around.....Hopefully no clouds anyway. 

I am hoping for the last part, but even if it clouds over still should be a cool event. Headed to east of Madisonville, TN on the Cherohala Skyway (TN 165) there are several pulloffs looking west with openings that I'd like to make, if not I will be close the max (centerline) so it will still be a good show and no lights to worry about.

Lived in Harford county MD for this one (1970 eclipse). Details are fuzzy at this point but I do remember it getting dark, duh, and using special tinted glass to watch it. Was actually a pretty exciting time for me. Half tempted to go down to Georgia for this one just to experience one again.

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/nasa-remembers-1970-solar-eclipse-112300503.html

Image result for solar eclipse east coast 1970

I remember the 1970 one also. My neighbor and I were outside playing and my mom scared the heck out of us with her warnings of what would happen if we looked at the sun that day. Fearing for blood from my eyes, I played with my Tonka trucks in the garden without ever looking anywhere but the ground. My older brothers on the other hand, also got the warning, but they were just old enough to ignore her. They said it was great. They still have their eyesight so maybe they lied to me about "seeing" it.

26 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Me, @supernovasky, and @Subtropics are the only people who care about tropical around here. This is a SNOWTOWN. 

I can smell the doom in the winter thread. Could be another banner year for The Panic Room

Gloria. Been hooked on canes since Gloria. But I know that we don't get many canes to hit.  TS remnants are fun tho.  

39 minutes ago, UIWWildthing said:

Add me to the list of people who find tropical systems fascinating. Actually, just weather in general. 

Yeah, I like nearly everything.  I'll follow February wind or a regular coastal low.  I'm sad that I missed Isabel, but it screwed up my job search which ended up putting me on my current path, so that all worked out. 

I like that you all track tropical - moving here was first time that was even something that was on my radar as being worth keeping an eye on. That said, given the extremely low likelihood of a direct hit that gets sustained TS winds into the area, I am always interested in the post-tropical aspects and impacts of any system close enough to provide same.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived