SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
August OBS/DISCO

Round Hill WX

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ended up with 0.72 for a storm total. Set a new record low max temp with 67.7 degrees, beating old mark of 72 from 1986. It WOULD have been even lower had the sun not broke thru the clouds just before 5 pm, that got us the 67.7 high. When  I first got home at 4 the high for the day was setting at 64.5.

11 hours ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

I was matching nearby Cocorahs as of this morning. Certainly nothing out of the ordinary today as it was a steady moderate rain the entire day. I'll see how it compares tomorrow. 

The closest Cocorahs report to me (maybe 9-10 miles or so as the bird flies) was 1.92", for the 24 hour period ending at 7am. It looks like that same area reported 0.89" as of 7am yesterday, so the system total would be 2.81" for that location. My final total was 3.27". I wish there was an actual report here or even some reports to my south so I could compare better.

I had recently calibrated this gauge and it worked ok. I checked it today and it doesn't look like anything physically damaged it at least, but I'm gonna re-test this weekend. I usually match Cocorahs reports pretty closely or even come in a little under sometimes (it tends to undercount a bit in heavy storms and can even miss very light drizzly events altogether).

I didn't report this as an official total or anything so don't worry. I usually don't report rain totals anyway unless there's clearly something serious going on (like flash flooding rates), which was certainly not an issue yesterday.

10 minutes ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

The closest Cocorahs report to me (maybe 9-10 miles or so as the bird flies) was 1.92", for the 24 hour period ending at 7am. It looks like that same area reported 0.89" as of 7am yesterday, so the system total would be 2.81" for that location. My final total was 3.27". I wish there was an actual report here or even some reports to my south so I could compare better.

I had recently calibrated this gauge and it worked ok. I checked it today and it doesn't look like anything physically damaged it at least, but I'm gonna re-test this weekend. I usually match Cocorahs reports pretty closely or even come in a little under sometimes (it tends to undercount a bit in heavy storms and can even miss very light drizzly events altogether).

I didn't report this as an official total or anything so don't worry. I usually don't report rain totals anyway unless there's clearly something serious going on (like flash flooding rates), which was certainly not an issue yesterday.

I bought a standard NOAA rain gauge last year so I would have something to compare to. The gauge on my weather station didn't seem right at the time. I took it apart and cleaned everything, then calibrated the gauge. Nice to have the 2, and now they are pretty much always within a tenth of an inch.

4 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

I bought a standard NOAA rain gauge last year so I would have something to compare to. The gauge on my weather station didn't seem right at the time. I took it apart and cleaned everything, then calibrated the gauge. Nice to have the 2, and now they are pretty much always within a tenth of an inch.

That's a good idea, I might consider buying a second one and putting it in another spot in the yard to compare.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived