Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August OBS/DISCO

Round Hill WX

25 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Don't look now, but you've got storms inbound. Can see the lightning from my house!

I see what you mean! Moderate rain with some lightning just started!!! :wub::wub::wub: Drink up all the fresh rain, grass and mosquitoes! Man we are gonna party come midweek!!!

WOW we are getting demolished by heavy rains!!!!!

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

K - that was about a half inch to three quarters of an inch, that new water will potentiate the old moisture that was already in the grass and I'll be happier than a pig in the proverbial New Orleans swamp and the nearby bayou lol! Now lets hope and pray that we get smashed down HARD by rain in midweek when that STRONG cold front hits us!

12 hours ago, WVclimo said:

After wall-to-wall sunshine all day, a gusty thunderstorm has swept in.  Rolling thunder, heavy rain and winds gusting above 30 mph.  High today was 90.

Yeah, that was weird.  I was in Front Royal at a family picnic and a huge tower built just to the south, literally in a span of just a few minutes.  Went from 99% clear skies to a booming storm in that time frame.  Looks like any rain was just to south of Front Royal, but what a great view of that storm from just underneath. The lightning cut the family function short.  When we got back home to Stephens City (under crystal-clear skies), I could see more lightning off to the west and north.  Literally, we were in almost a complete circle of thunderstorms....with not a cloud overhead.  So typical.

9 hours ago, Jebman said:

K - that was about a half inch to three quarters of an inch, that new water will potentiate the old moisture that was already in the grass and I'll be happier than a pig in the proverbial New Orleans swamp and the nearby bayou lol! Now lets hope and pray that we get smashed down HARD by rain in midweek when that STRONG cold front hits us!

I am 99% certain there will be no meaningful rain for me, but I am stoked to see mid-70s highs on the late-week forecast!  Octoberfest is in the fridge chilling, just waiting!

47 minutes ago, snowfan said:

All this eclipse talk and here I am just focusing on the forecast the latter part of the week. GFS MOSX for BWI looks amazing for late August. 

Thur: 81/61

Fri: 77/57

Sat: 76/56

Sun: 78/57

Mon: 79/58

I hope this is a sign of a deathly cold winter.  Like deep Arctic circle winter.

45 minutes ago, snowfan said:

It's not, but I like the thinking. Super cold >>> Super hot. 

Eh, there was some qualitative GIS research I saw at a conference in 2009 that showed the NAO state and mean temperature in the Great Lakes and the temperature for the MA/NE the following winter.  Their R^2 was only like 0.45 but it was interesting to see nonetheless.

26 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

You can see dimming on the GOES-16 visible entering the west coast.  That's pretty cool.  Since DC isn't in totality, a cu field won't hurt us that much since we'll be in and out of the sun anyway.  It is unpleasantly hot and humid out there.

Just noticed that. Pretty awesome.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived