• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
August OBS/DISCO

Round Hill WX

About a week ago I was lamenting that it just doesn't thunderstorm the past few years like it (seems) to do in the past.  But this week has been pretty great in spite of my backyard not getting into a lot of the action. 

We were in Severna Park this evening on a friend's screen porch and it was so enjoyable listening to the rain and thunder, and watching the lightning while enjoying a wee dram of 10 yo Pappy Van Winkle.  Good stuff.  Not life changing, but certainly grateful my buddy was willing to share.

Glad for those that have gotten into the storms these past few days.

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rough storms in the Timonium area last night. Took out a bunch of tress and wires, even shutting down 83 for a time. Sadly a teenager lost her life when a tree fell on the car she was in with two other teenagers and her mother. :( 

13 hours ago, MN Transplant said:

Gusted to 13 mph and a trace of rain here.

12 hours ago, MN Transplant said:

Yup.  Picking up where we left off prior to the big event.

T of rain this week.

IMG_4704.thumb.PNG.21f6a925bea467f955a6ea7af62da124.PNG

I was just on the west edge of the cell that ended up in Arlington/Alexandria/DC (I'm a few miles south of the eastern edge of Fairfax City), and probably picked up under 0.25". It never really poured, but it did come down moderately in big drops for a bit. It then rained steadily for about 15-20 after that. Nice gust of wind just as the rain started, as well. Enough to cool things off really nicely and give the plants and lawn a drink.

You got the shaft.

14 minutes ago, frd said:

Along with the GEFS the monthly from the Euro is also cool for August per Ryan.

Been waiting many, many years to see something like this happen in August. Well, lets see if it verifies.  

I moved here in August 2004 (-2.2 departure at DCA).  What a misleading tease that was.

14 hours ago, mappy said:

Nice lightning show up in PA

It was indeed.  We're in Ocean City, and were able to see the lightning from the storms when they were still back around Chambersburg.  That's around 175 miles away!  Definitely a new record for me.  It certainly helps that we are on the 11th floor.

Yesterday was as close to perfect as you can get in August.  Just incredible.

Remarked yesterday to my neighbor that I don't recall ever seeing everything so green all summer long.  We had a dry stretch early in the summer, but the grass didn't dry up very much, just quit growing for 3 weeks.  I've mowed each of the last 2 weekends, heavy spring-like mows too.  I've been too busy working to keep up with things, but this has been an OK summer.  We've gotten several nice breaks in the Triple H.  

Yesterday has given me a serious case of Fall Fever.  Octoberfest hits the shelves later this week.  Football has started.  We are close.... so close.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived