Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
August 2017 Observations & Discussion Thread

Rtd208

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Stormlover74 said:

Yeah I looked earlier and ewr has been at or below 70 for a low each day this month. First time since 96 that happened

This is turning out to be a rare front-loaded heat summer. This was the first year with an 80 degree minimum at LGA in May and June with none in July or August.

12 hours ago, bluewave said:

Today is a bit of a rarity for this summer. Our first combination of a nice beach day with a hurricane swell for the surfers. 

http://www.surfline.com/surf-report/lincoln-blvd-long-island_4269/

5994363a51d5b_Screenshot2017-08-16at8_07_54AM.png.053badb1bc75b9d9bd37d9034c1529f8.png

..it was a great beach day...HOT!..wind was northerly all day..NO cooling seabreeze today..water was very

rough..but did manage to cool of in the white water..many many washups but no wash overs.

NWS forecasting a low of 60 here tonight.

From Mt. Holly this evening:

Lows tonight will be in the upper 50s in the Poconos and in the mountains of northwest NJ, and otherwise in the low to mid 60s.

The urban heat island effect will keep the Philly metro area in the low 70s.

35 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Looks like any early fall cold front later next week following the brief warm up.

ecmwf-ens_T850a_us_7.thumb.png.d3336a1952b366c62292b35d217cc7c9.png

ecmwf-ens_T850a_us_10.thumb.png.dd24bc69cf7285aff6db5b8eb707aac8.png

Yeah, I noticed that last night too.  I wish the EPS went out farther so we could get a peek at September, but then again accuracy would probably not be as good anyway.

30 minutes ago, JerseyWx said:

Yeah, I noticed that last night too.  I wish the EPS went out farther so we could get a peek at September, but then again accuracy would probably not be as good anyway.

I will take a guess that this September won't be as warm as September 2016 and 2015 were. The last two Septembers were a continuation of the very warm August patterns. 2016 and 2015 featured top 5 monthly warmth in both August and September.

26 minutes ago, bluewave said:

I will take a guess that this September won't be as warm as September 2016 and 2015 were. The last two Septembers were a continuation of the very warm August patterns. 2016 and 2015 featured top 5 monthly warmth in both August and September.

I agree.  September 2015 was just incredible in terms of warmth.  That whole Fall and into December was a complete torch.

53 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

Hoping we get some tropical help for September. The last 5 have been dry with the dead tropics 

Even though things are heating up in the tropics, the pattern doesn't really support an East coast threat. Our best shot at something meaningful is probably going to have to come from the Gulf.

17 hours ago, doncat said:

Made it to 87 here today... Haven't had a 70+ degree low temp since July 22nd.

wow that's a quite a stretch. 70+ lows fell off for me but I still had some, mainly 70 or low 70s. SI does tend to cool off more than the other boros with its more suburban landscape. 

1 hour ago, JerseyWx said:

I agree.  September 2015 was just incredible in terms of warmth.  That whole Fall and into December was a complete torch.

Yeah, the back-loaded summer warmth in 2015 and 2016 was really impressive. 

LGA Aug-Sep warmest avg temps

#1...2005....77.9

#2...2016....77.7

#3...2015...76.7

#4...2010...75.6

#5...1959...75.3

15 minutes ago, 6zNam said:

Oh man tomorrow's gonna be so dewey. Can't wait for 80/78 tomorrow afternoon

Hoping the 75 dewpoint and 75 SST combo can finally deliver some much needed rains for Long Island. This has been a winning combo for heavy rains in summers past.

Archived